Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I'm glad that works for you. I don't want the expense and worry of a
space heater running in my RV all winter.
We leave a ceiling vent open just about 24/7/365 and have never felt like
there was any tendency for mold or mildew or even stale air inside.
We are in Kentucky where the winter air is typically dry.
If you live along the coast I'm sure that makes a difference in how you
manage your rig in the off season.

As far as RV antifreeze in the fresh lines, that's what it's made for.
In the spring we flush the lines briefly and go camping!
We often take a blue tote jug for coffee water but not always.
I've found that the water might have a bit of a "funny" taste the
first couple of days. That's why we use the blue jug.
The off taste quickly goes away.

I just don't want folks to feel like they must buy a compressor in order
to winterize their rig. It can be done with just a jug of rv antifreeze and
the on-board water pump.
I agree, one does not have to buy expensive equipment to winterize there camper. Winterizing is easy to do, pull the plug on the hot water heater, blow out the water lines with all faucets open and leave them open all winter and don't worry about ventilation, there is not a camper out there that is air tight it will leak air, but in any case you can leave the roof vents open just a little. After blowing out the water lines then remove the water filter cylinder and dump out the excess water and then re install empty. If you are the type of person that fells better about using antifreeze then by all means use it, just close off the by pass the the hot water heater and then pump it in until the open faucets start to leak antifreeze then close them off one by one. I personally am not an antifreeze person, so it takes me less time. As far as small heaters go, I do not use them, to me it is a worry and added cost to my utility bill. Our house is all electric.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
The Jolly Mon
Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
It depends on the weather where you store your trailer. I faithfully use antifreeze because winter is typically down to -35F here. That's dang near cold enough to make a Slurpie out of antifreeze!

Compressed air method will NEVER get all the water from the system. Too many low spots, corners, nooks and crannies. The system is closed...and cannot be dried. What it will do is get MOST of the water out of the system, and could make it DRY ENOUGH for protection for the weather where you live. If the air purges your system well enough...good to go. If it doesn't, you will be buying new plumbing pipes or maybe a pump or faucet. To me...that's not something I'm going to gamble with up here. I've seen people say that before...."I've never had a problem with the air method." Then, that one time...(my friend swore up and down with the air method. I laughed at him when he didn't take my antifreeze advice...and he had water everywhere come spring)

My what you think is necessary. Many parts of the country don't get that cold. Many people can get enough water out with air...that it works for them. I play it safe. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. (and peace of mind all winter)

I don't mean to sound like a I'm lecturing, but others will read this...and they need the facts to figure out what they want to do.

Pete (Jolly Mon)

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
The other thing that can be done is use a vacuum pump. Make sure everything is closed off tight and a vacuum pump will lower the atmospheric pressure so that if there is any moisture in the lines it will boil off at about 70 degrees F. But of course we are talking about a camper and most likely it will develop a leak. This is what is done on an A/C system before charging a system and also to check for leaks. If the unit will not hold a vacuum then air is leaking into the system. Just an Idea. But I agree if you are in a very cold climate them use antifreeze.

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote