Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Winterizing residential fridge.

I used a compressor last year to winterize my 335ds. It worked like a charm except for the residential fridge. The water filter broke. I thought that the fridge water supply was part of the the main water supply, kitchen sink, bathroom etc. I feel lucky that nothing major was damaged. Can someone advise me how to winterize the refrigerator for the upcoming winter?
JerseyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

On our 328 I disconnected the supply line to fridge. I then blew out the lines and pumped RV Antifreeze throughout the Coach. I then removed the filter for the fridge. I hit the dispenser for the water which very little came out. Is it the correct way not sure but it worked. Now I do have indoor storage but we always put in late and take out early.

I'm thinking when I disconnected the supply line it drained some of the water. I did not want to pump pink stuff through my fridge.

Good luck.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #3

I found the supply line in the cabinet under the kichen sink. I found a push button on the water supply. Can you advise me what its function?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

When you take the pressure off of the refrigerator by using the water dispenser, if there is one, there is still water in the solenoid valve and a column of water in the 1/4 inch line that goes up the back of the unit to the icemaker. If you don't remove all of this water it will freeze and split the line and or split the valve and you will have serious problems in the spring.

Here is what I do to winterize. I put a compressor on the city water connection, set it for 30 pounds pressure and then open the taps one at a time until no more water comes out. I do this to the reefer water dispenser as well. I then leave the compressor connected and leave the reefer and ice maker running overnight. During this time the ice maker will cycle multiple times and the air pressure will clear the valve and the piping up the back of the unit.

I then turn off the "pop up" valve that connects the reefer to the water system and winterize the water system by pumping a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze using the winterize connection. Run each faucet (and the toilet) until pink solution comes out and let some of it run into the sink, toilet and shower trap. Don't forget to do this to the outside shower if you have one. I don't leave antifreeze in the lines and just let it all go into the black and gray tanks.

Closing the popup will prevent antifreeze from going into the water filter and icemaker.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

Ok. So you winterize with compressed air and antifreeze? Thank you much.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #6

Yes I do. You need RV antifreeze in the traps anyway, why not run it through the piping first on the way to the traps. All you need is one gallon since you drain and bypass the water heater before doing anything and first dump the contents of the water filter if you have one.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #7

Is the "pop up" valve behind the kitchen trash can under sink? If it is it will not stay down. When I push it it pops back to the up position. How do I turn it off.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #8

How to winterize residential refrigerator for a Georgetown 2016 335ds
joebon2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #9

what I did last year

I drained the lines with the low point drains.
Put the HW heater in bypass mode and drain.
I used an air compressor to blow lines, this seemed of limited use since there seems to be a check valve inline that seems to limit the air flow.
Replaced the filter in the fridge with a dummy pass through.
Ran pink stuff through the lines and the fridge water supply.
Ran the washer to get some pink through both supply lines.
The system kept enough pressure that the ice maker cycled and made some pink ice, I then knew that the line to the ice maker had pink in it.

we survived the winter without any issues

When we took the camper out during the cold season the fridge water and ice were not used, I just had to flush the lines when used and then rerun the steps, leaving the fridge out of service. There is a cut off valve buried back behind the pantry, I have not used it.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywhencamping View Post
I drained the lines with the low point drains.
Put the HW heater in bypass mode and drain.
I used an air compressor to blow lines, this seemed of limited use since there seems to be a check valve inline that seems to limit the air flow.
Replaced the filter in the fridge with a dummy pass through.
Ran pink stuff through the lines and the fridge water supply.
Ran the washer to get some pink through both supply lines.
The system kept enough pressure that the ice maker cycled and made some pink ice, I then knew that the line to the ice maker had pink in it.

we survived the winter without any issues

When we took the camper out during the cold season the fridge water and ice were not used, I just had to flush the lines when used and then rerun the steps, leaving the fridge out of service. There is a cut off valve buried back behind the pantry, I have not used it.

Sounds like you do all we do with the exception of the fridge. This will be the first time we store our Coach outside. Where did you get your By-Pass filter for your fridge. Do you have a part number and how quick can I get one. Frigidaire Gallery is our fridge. Thanks.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF

Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

It was either eBay or amazon.
The unit you need will be based on your fridge model.

The frigidare web site will give you the model you will need.

If you search post I posted the info for my fridge last year
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywhencamping View Post
It was either eBay or amazon.
The unit you need will be based on your fridge model.

The frigidare web site will give you the model you will need.

If you search post I posted the info for my fridge last year

Great. Thanks for the input. I'll check it out.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF

Old 10-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #13

Just diconnect the filter and take it to a parts store. It's a common filter. I'm not sure if Home Depot or Lowe's carry the m . Just push in on the filter and it will unlock and pop right out. Do the same when you put the new one and it will lock in place.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #14

Thanks to all for the advice. Once I blew out the lines I disconnected the supply to the fridge and ran what was left through the water dispencer.

Tags
fridge, winter, winterize