Old 09-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #11
Here is the simple solution I used for tow lights. TowMate RVHW32 Wireless RV Tow Light Package. My Edge has OEM LED lights that are ridiculously expensive to replace. I didn't want any potential warranty issues from adding wiring, or even cutting holes. So I went with the wireless solution with the 7 Pin adapter / transmitter that just plugs in to the MH's trailer wiring connector.

That choice exposed a secondary issue... There is no horizontal metal to attach them to! The Edge's roof is covered with glass and plastic and the rear bumper is plastic. So I grabbed a spare 8 inch drop receiver, flipped it over for a "rise", and had a 2 foot section of 2 inch square tube welded to it. Installed that in my OEM tow packages hitch and I'm good to go! Now my wireless tail lights are level with the top of the bumper and solidly mounted. I store the light "mount" in my RV's hitch when it is not in makes a serious bumper protector!

I am really happy with the TowMate system. And TowMate's customer service and tech support has been excellent. A bit pricey on their website but Ebay, and other websites, have them discounted to around $230. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their system...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTS and EDge version 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	119438  

2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Saw a neat idea used on a pickup toad in FL, they drilled a hole added an extra dual element receptacle to the stock tail light assembly and ran a complete set of wires back to them in lieu of cutting into the factory harness or adding external lights.

That's how I wired my '05 Liberty. Blue Ox Makes a harness that works that way, but I just bought the lamps, sockets and the 6-pin receptacle.

BTW, the '05 Liberty is a great little toad!

2005 Georgetown 342DS XL, Full Banks Package
2005 Liberty Renegade 4X Toad
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Here is the simple solution I used for tow lights. TowMate RVHW32 Wireless RV Tow Light Package[/URL].
That is awesome! Didn't even know something like this existed - learn something new every time I come to this forum. Think I will try this for my Wrangler JK. Thanks for sharing!
NCCoachMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #14
Thank you everyone. Your expertise is priceless. I purchased the Hopkins wiring kit and found that I do not have to install a relay. Thanks again .

JerseyJerry is online now   Reply With Quote

toad, wiring