Old 12-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
I would say that someone who intends to be a full timer would probably prefer a DP but they cost a lot more. For the money it is hard to beat the Georgetown gasser.

BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
BillMFI is spot on. Opinion that I have formed is that 37-38 feet is about as long you want in a gasser. DP would be best for fulltiming and longer. IMO

US Army - Retired and loving it with our Georgetown 351DS and now our Thor Challenger 37TB.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
Guess it comes down to two things.........

If you REALLY think you'll be travelling tons of miles over the course of time, I guess diesels will outlive a gasser........?? million truckers can't be wrong.

If liveability is your concern, the inside layout and space is pretty much equal amongst gassers depening on your preference, and once you look backwards from the cockpit, you sometimes can't tell what propels it down the road, because now the focus is the "home" part of a "motorhome"

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #24
I couldn't agree more...Traveling down the road is where the differences between gasser and DP really become apparent. Once parked, as others have said, one can hardly tell the difference. For our situation, my wife and I just couldn't justify the extra initial expense and ongoing maintenance cost of a DP...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #25
I think you're seeing the same theme. Use and finances will tell you the direction to jump.
US Army - Retired and loving it with our Georgetown 351DS and now our Thor Challenger 37TB.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
The original intent of this thread was to gather opinions, from Georgetown owners, as to their satisfaction with this model. I must say that I am impressed by the responses. Thank you all again!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #27
Originally Posted by Xact1 View Post
Thanks again for the replies. A little about myself: I've owned pop up campers, 5th wheels, a class C Four Winds, and now a Cherokee 39R park model. I'm looking to get back on the road soon. So, I am familiar with the RV experience.

Years ago the gas models weren't comparable to diesel pushers. Some of the newer gassers like the Georgetown are built on heavier chassis and appear to be better suited for longer distances or extended use.

With all that being said, do you think that the Georgetown would suffice for snowbirds or would it be better to look at a used DP?
I'm still thrilled with our short little Georgetown 2015 as it is perfect for us and has really had ZERO issues in 6 months and 3000 miles and they made some nice upgrades from the 2014 models. My sense is you are looking at something a bit bigger and concerned about towing up and down the east coast mainly. I think this is exactly what the Georgetowns are made for....and think that the larger wheels and chassis as well as the other nice touches might make the XL models a better choice for you in longer distance driving. If you're not fulltiming it and climbing the Rockies... I think the Ford V10 & chassis is a reliable platform though you may want to do some of the handling tweeks like the CHF, sway bars and/or steering stabilizers after the fact if you feel the need for handling improvement after hooking up a toad.
Good luck with the decision making.
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #28
Yes. Would purchase another Georgetown RV

About a year ago, we purchased a 2011 Georgetown 337 DS XL, 33' motor home. It had just about 13,000 miles. Previously, we owned a Winnebago Sightseer '27 motor home. The Winnebago was our first RV. We bought it to see if we would like RV travel. Without question, we do.

We saw a Georgetown 337 DS XL 33' at a RV show. We particularly liked the layout, especially the two recliner chairs in the living room area rather than a small sofa. Unfortunately, by the time we decided this was the model we wanted to purchase, FR had quit manufacturing the model. We were patient and searched the Internet until we found a model that had most of what we wanted. We made changes for what the model did not include.

The features of the Georgetown 337 were similar to those of the Winnebago Sightseer. In some respects craftsmanship of the Winnebago was much better than the Georgetown. We have had to make a few modifications/repairs to the Georgetown to correct for the craftsmanship of the Georgetown 337.

The downside to purchasing a used Georgetown is that FR will ignore you, even when the problem is a design/manufacturing flaw. For example, 2011 was a "bad year" for the glue that FR used when installing the ceiling throughout the coach. The glue did not hold well, sagging bubbles appeared in the inside ceiling. We contacted FR about the problem, they ignored us. We posted questions on the FR Georgetown and many people responded with suggestions for how to resolve the ceiling problem At this point, we have pretty much resolved the ceiling problem.

We bought the Georgetown because FR is owned by Warren Buffett. We felt that if a FR product is good enough for Buffett, it is good enough for us. Unfortunately, in our opinion, FR's manufacturing process and follow-up support do not meet Buffett's high performance expectations.

We have a good mechanic in our area that handles basic service for us. We use a "big truck" specialty shop to handle alignment, steerage, and stability. We're learning how to resolve mechanical problems ourselves. As I said above, members of the Georgetown Forum have been an incredible resource.

We learned how to fix the toilet. We finally figured out how to get the refrigerator to perform like its supposed to in both "cold" and "warm" climates. In celebration of this achievement, we popped a great bottle of wine!

Despite problems encountered and irritating issues like "electrical plugs installed under cabinets rather than low on side walls," we really like the Georgetown 337 layout. It's homey, comfortable, and fun to travel in.

This past summer, we took a four-week RV trip up the Oregon and Washington State coastlines. The views, weather, and people we met were incredible. We spent a week in Vancouver, Canada. We drove inland through Washington State and Oregon back to our home in California. We've never had so much fun! Bend, Oregon was outstanding. If you like "craft beer," there's better place to savor a "pint."

I wish you the best with your decision. Be sure to use this forum as a resource. You'll get great advice. We have.

Best wishes
ricklillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
Have 2013 280DS, bought it new. Had a few small problems, but no big problems. I am handy so fixed most problems myself. FR did fix a couple of things with no hassle. Georgetown is not a Prevost, but based on my experience it has good value. Nice floorplans, a flat floor, a lot of windows (not dark inside), and ample storage. I have no problem pulling my CR-V.

However, I did add a Safe-T Plus and a Blue Ox TigerTrak. From white knuckles to driving with one hand.
jamesrnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #30
Would you recommend the new Georgetown?

Bought a new 2013 Georgetown XL 350 with the bunks/3 slides, have just over 13,000 miles on it, awesome machine, would Definetly buy again! Most of the issues I've experienced were self induced and a learning curve. We tow a 2012 jeep liberty, been from Oklahoma to Destin Florida twice and already have 3rd trip planned! ( I would love a DP with air ride etc, but can't justify the cost difference yet, we aren't full timers! )

2013 Georgetown XL 350
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote