Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Would you recommend the new Georgetown?

Hi, I would like some honest opinions on whether you would purchase another Georgetown or recommend it. What do you like? What don't you like? How has service and support been with FR?

I must say that the new 2015 models look very well thought out. We're trying to decide whether to go used DP or new gas model.

Thanks in advance to all that reply!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Would depend on what your plans are, short trips Georgetown would be fine, many cross country trips would look for a Berkshire. Have driven both, the Berkshire has a nice air suspension ride. many people are very happy with the Georgetown. As to service it all depends on the dealer as to repairs, some very good others would not visit at all. FR will back up the repairs but the dealers are indepent owners and do not have to do warrenty work unless you purchase from that dealer.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Team Bleu

I have the 337 Georgetown XL, year old in September. We added a few extra upgrades this past August, been traveling up and down the east coast. The RV belongs to the Show dogs. Love the king size bed, full kitchen and full bathroom. We changed the toilet to a elongated style. Had all the batteries changed over to AGM kind, mechanic told me the XL are built on the same chaise as Berkshires reason for the good ride, was going to add stabilizers got talked out of them. Added hard wire surge protector and had all the windows tinted for the southern hot sun. As much as I love this one we are looking to upgrade to a diesel so I can haul one of my cars with me
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Georgetown review

We purchased a 2014 Georgetown 335 in the spring of 2013. We were new to motorhomes, and have since been to Florida, Maine, Michigan and most points in between. We currently have abut 20,000 miles on the unit, so we are not talking about eons of experience. That having been said, we are very happy with the unit. It is usually my wife and I and an occasional second couple for a week or ten days. We are gone for anywhere from 14 to 100 days (Florida snowbirds...). It is comfortable, strong enough to tow, and the fixtures and equipment seem to be of at least adequate level for the unit. The engine noise is noticeable going down the road, but you are sitting on top of a big V-10 engine...

We bought our unit on line in Buffalo, NY (we live in Michigan). I was initially concerned about warranty & service. I have since had my thoughts confirmed - you'll likely need service when you are using the unit (read that away from home...). We have also found that Forest River will readily approve non-dealers doing the work. Not every prospective servicer, but we had no problems on the road or here at home.

For the price we were wiling to pay (which was much better in Buffalo...), and the use we are making of it, I feel we made the right choice. The layout meets our needs, it is very comfortable, and quality of construction is better than some entry or mid level units.

Yep, I'd do it again!
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #5

We purchased the GT 335 in 2013. We spent 4 months last winter in the Southwest. Have had no major issues with performance and livability. The few minor issues we had were taken care of by our dealer. This is my 6th RV and the one we are most satisfied with. Sometimes wish we had more room, especially in the bedroom, but are ok with what we have. For the money, not sure the GT can be beat!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the informative replies so far!

Does anyone pull a toad with the Georgetown?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

I pull a 2001 Toyota Highlander. The 378 Georgetown handles the toad well on the East coast.
Snoring Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

We have had our GT XL378 for 10 months now, and have really enjoyed it. Would be buy another one, yes we would.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

I pull a Chevy Equinox.

Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xact1 View Post
Hi, I would like some honest opinions on whether you would purchase another Georgetown or recommend it. What do you like? What don't you like? How has service and support been with FR?
I must say that the new 2015 models look very well thought out. We're trying to decide whether to go used DP or new gas model.
Thanks in advance to all that reply!

No matter what you get if the dealer won't take of things it will be a horror.

All motorhomes will have issues in the first year so that is why you need to inspect and insure things are corrected.

DO NOT DRIVE the motorhome home until 100% of the issues are fixed no matter what the dealer says.
You are paying a lot of money for this rig and you want to make sur eyou get a complete walk around over a period of a few hours so they can demonstrate how everything works, locations of all the hidden stuff, test the levelers multiple times, slides multiple times, check the hydraulic tank level is full when everything is in and up. Make sure all the tires are inflated to proper psi as per the sticker on the wall behind drivers seat. Make sure they give you all the paper work on all the appliances.
Make sure they inform Forest River and Ford Motor so after you take it home the warranty is in your name and not dealers.

Have them wash the outside, clean the inside and any stuff is noted in writing.
Their is lots more but back to the original question.
The dealer ship is the key if you will enjoy the first year or not.

Use your rig and don't let it sit around gathering dust.
My 2012 already has 35,000 miles and after the first year of issues, repairs and adjustments all has been good.

Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #11

We have an XL 378 and tow a 2008 Honda CR-V. Tows it like there is nothing behind it. Going through the Ozarks it pull earlier 50 up any hill while towing. Haven't done any mountain climbing but we are never in a big hurry.
We love the floor plan. Would have liked a diesel but I believe in buying something you can comfortably pay cash for.
The dealer here is very good and Forest River has stood behind everything we needed.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I would buy an other Georgetown but not from the same dealer.
I have better service from dealers away from home then from the selling dealer.
Forest River in Elkhart are great as well.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #13

Thanks again for the replies. A little about myself: I've owned pop up campers, 5th wheels, a class C Four Winds, and now a Cherokee 39R park model. I'm looking to get back on the road soon. So, I am familiar with the RV experience.

Years ago the gas models weren't comparable to diesel pushers. Some of the newer gassers like the Georgetown are built on heavier chassis and appear to be better suited for longer distances or extended use.

With all that being said, do you think that the Georgetown would suffice for snowbirds or would it be better to look at a used DP?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #14

We love our 378XL and are currently heading to FL for the winter. We full time and all is great. Love the MH and as everyone has stated the key is the dealership they will make it a happy experience or a dreaded one. I would buy another one in a heart beat.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #15

All I'll say to myself.......

"If you can't say something nice
Don't say anything at all"

GOOD LUCK!!
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #16
WDK

DB, I was wondering why you felt you had to upgrade to a DP to pull your car....I have the smaller of the GT's, a 280DS, I needed it to fit in my driveway.....we just came back from a 5500 mile trip coast to coast pulling an HHR with my V10 and had no problems with pulling or breaking. It has an 18,000lb capacity, we are at about 16,000 and the HHR weighs about 3000 so essentially we are only towing 1000lbs. Granted the DP will pull anything if you want to pay the price but do you have too??

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #17

We're thinking about the 377 XL model. Does anyone have that one or the 378 XL to compare?

Thanks for all your opinions. It really does help!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #18

Ramair, I noticed that you have the 378 model. Tell me more about pros and cons during your ownership?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #19

We enjoy ours

I am a research junkie. I did lots of homework on options, capabilities, durability and finally price.

Years ago had a popup, travel trailer and class C. After retiring 5 years ago, we criss crossed the USA and Canada to the tune of 350,000 miles in our large SUV (we are retired US Army and have stayed in BOQs from Key West to Kodiak). But we decided we start spending more time in one place and bought a well appointed travel trailer. Loved it immediately and decided to make the jump up to a Class A. Enter the research junkie part.

Almost bought the 378XL but with all of our grandchildren (16 grands/great grands) decided to go with the bunk beds of the 351DS based on bunk arrangement. Again we loved it.

Major factors in the decision.

1. Gasser vs Diesel Pusher. Initial cost of the gasser is less. On going cost of repairs for the gasser are less. While not as powerful as the DP the V-10 Triton is equal to task - though a bit noisier (hey we are retired - and don't hurry). Handling is okay after paying close attention to tire pressure and doing Cheap Handling Fix - but air ride is simply air ride. We spend a lot of time in our coach home and love it. Would love to have the DP but we also have wonderful and spacious home - so our coach is our home away from home.

2. One piece roof - bigger deal than most dealers give credit to. No seams, fewer leaks.

3. Options. 378XL is way more luxurious than the 351DS but we traded for the bunks and about $10k.

4. Fit and finish. Hey you are buying a home that heads down the road on tires at about 50-70 MPH. Stuff loosens up some and begins to rattle - you tighten it up and move on. It is a house and with any other new house - you have a punch list. Fix it BEFORE taking ownership - it is the largest leverage you have. Fight the urge to "head on down the road", take the time or divorce the dealer. If you've got a dealer that is concerned AFTER the sale - you are in the minority.

5. Finally enjoy and come back here to the forums for help/sharing. You will need it and there is a ton of experience available here. You will find very capable, experienced, well mannered (for the most part) owners.

So yep - we'd buy our FR again. While they are a mass producer of an individually built product and a pain in the butt at times - the product is enjoyable. If you want perfect go to Weston, if you want great family time and enjoy making the travel part of the experience buy your coach. Forest River - dollar for dollar - is solid.

Hope the epistle helps.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #20

I have a 2008 370 Georgetown. I pull a Ford Flex on a dolly to Florida every year for 2 months. No problems at all!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown