Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Wow. This could have been really bad......

My rv is at the dealer for floor replacement and they had to remove the kitchen slide. When they did they saw the lp high pressure supply was rubbing on an unkown point and had about 1/4 inch worn awAy from it. They are of course going to fix it and find the cause but thankfully it was found before it sprang a leak. Yeesh......
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #2

Wow- as big a pain it is to have to get warranty work done, lucky you needed it or it could have been a disaster.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #3

I hope the dealer reports this to Forest River.
There may be other units out where with this same problem(propane gas line rubbing). This could be a dangerous situation.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I highly suggest everyone check your propane lines where ever they are visible. I had a Keystone Litehouse years ago and my line actually cracked at the back of the fitting to the outside stove. We had traveled over 250 miles and when we were setting up and I turned my bottles on I noticed the smell very quickly. The cause was one clamp on a line that was run half way down one side and then ran another 6 feet and then turned and went across to the other side where the outside stove was located. The clamp was held in place with a 3/4" screw. Surprisingly it was still in the clamp. From all the bouncing and vibrations the 3/8 copper line was almost ready to fall off. Just imagine had I left the bottles on and the tubing started dragging the roadway once it had broken off completely. I also had a chipmunk or squirrel make a meal out of one of my lines one winter. I bought a new hose and encased both in flexible rubber coated conduit with a steel inner liner. The little buggers couldn't get through that. Be safe and take a few minutes just to check it all out. Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

I see coaches burning on the side of the highway all the time. And no one has ever been able to say what caused it. Guess we all know now!!
Looks like the industry has kept this secert well.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Coaches burning on the side of the highway are MOSTLY caused by flat tires, that the driver payed no attention to. The tire overheated and caught fire. Believe me, if it had been a propane leak, the courts would have way too many cases to settle. Whenever there is a fire like that, there will be a report, and if the report even breathed a propane leak, there would be numerous lawsuits.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #7

No matter the type of RV, a pre-trip inspection should always be done before heading out. This should include checking the propane system where possible. Between vibration, critters, etc. things loosen, chafe or get gnawed over time.

Now get out there and go camping, but be safe.
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #8

On a 2010 Georgetown 378, does anyone know how to get to and view the propane gas lines that are in & under the kitchen/driver side slide?
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by betndavrv2 View Post
On a 2010 Georgetown 378, does anyone know how to get to and view the propane gas lines that are in & under the kitchen/driver side slide?
If you open all your compartments up you will notice that most of them have blank off panels at the top of the compartment. You can remove these and then see all the way through at the wiring, water tubes, etc. I have removed most all of them in our rig to make all of this easier to inspect for leaks, etc.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote