Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Xantrex Inverter Installation

I just purchased a Xantrex 1800 Inverter for my 337 and it was bigger than I expected. That's ok but I'm wondering where would a proper place be to mount it on the RV? After looking at the instructions which seem pretty good I am probably going to have somebody with better knowledge than me install it but I would like to have some idea where it should be mounted. Thanks for your help.
RLFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #2

With all inverters they should be mounted as close to the batteries as possible, preferably the leads from the batteries to the inverter should not be over 5' or you have to start increasing the wire size due to the amperage draw.

One word of caution on inverters. You did not list which model you bought as they make the Prosine which is a true sine wave (TSW) inverter and they make the lesser ones which are modified sine wave (MSW). If you bought the MSW inverter it may not work well for your TVs and DVD players. Electronics don't usually like the MSW power output and you will notice "cracklies" in your picture and notice it in the sound. I found out the hard way after buying an MSW inverter that it wouldn't work and ended up having to buy the Prosine TSW inverter instead.

If you can, test the inverter with your electronics before you have it installed. Could save you a lot of time, money and hassle if you have to return it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. The inverter I purchased is indeed MSW. I am returning it. I found another and this is what the description says
"Building on the success of the PROwatt modified sine-wave inverters, the new PROwatt SW series is now capable of providing cost effective, true sine-wave output. The PROwatt SW provides household AC power anywhere. Featuring dual GFCI outlets and USB port, the compact, easy-to-use and easy-to-install design of the PROwatt SW series makes it ideal for use in all RVs. Powers all types of electrical loads including audio visual systems, variable speed power tools, rechargeable devices and convenience electronics."
Do you think this one would do the trick?
I really appreciate your help.
RLFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #4

Invertors

I decided to get the Xantrex SW 2000 with a charger.

This is a pure sine invertor.

The nice part is the charger built in. It is a 4 stage charger, including an equalization function.

It charges at 100 amps so it greatly improves the charging of my batteries.

On another note I am also installing 270 watts solar panels.

So far its worked for me.
rdjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjensen View Post
I decided to get the Xantrex SW 2000 with a charger.

This is a pure sine invertor.

The nice part is the charger built in. It is a 4 stage charger, including an equalization function.

It charges at 100 amps so it greatly improves the charging of my batteries.

On another note I am also installing 270 watts solar panels.

So far its worked for me.
Nice!

Had I known that the Parallax converter/chargers weren't 3-stage when I bought the inverter I too would have gone this route...
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
ME

Inverter

The suggestions I had for where to put the inverter was either under the stove where we have a drawer (not sure if you model is the same) and lose the drawer. OR to take some unused space by the stairs requiring me to make a box via welding BUT this is the BEST use of the space next to the stairs on my model that has a TON of space that is not being used!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

Invertor Location

I purchased the Xantrex SW2000 pure sine with a charger. They are pretty big aren't they.

I put it plus my two extra batteries in the basement compartment just behind where the stairs are.

We have a 2003 30' Georgetown.

It all has worked very good so far.
rdjensen is offline   Reply With Quote