Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

XL vs Non XL GT

What are the differences between GT XL line and just the GT line?

Wife and I just bought our first GT MH in early April. 2010 350TS with the hunk house for the kids.
1600 miles & 9 nights so far.
Chris
chrislynch2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

Basically the XL has a lot of stuff standard that are options on the other models. When my '05 was made the XL included a 10 gallon WH, dual pane windows and some trim upgrades.

There may be others but I am not sure about the newer model years.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

I was told told that GT does not make XL's every year. Any truth to that?
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

The XL has a nicer dash, more room, nice driver's arm rest with switches. I believe they have the bigger chassis with bigger wheels. Basically more luxury.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

Look on the FR website. Many of the models do not come in XL. I have a 2013 335. Don't believe that comes as an XL.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

XL models have more standard features. One difference is the compartment doors. XL models open the side and standard GT models lift up. Chassis is the same for both, all based on the length of the coach.

2014 Georgetown Brochure.pdf

2014 Georgetown XL Brochure.pdf

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Mmmmm. Mine is a standard GT and opens to the side.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
XL models have more standard features. One difference is the compartment doors. XL models open the side and standard GT models lift up. Chassis is the same for both, all based on the length of the coach.

Attachment 54331

Attachment 54332
at least for 2014, chassis is NOT the same for both....20,500lb chassis for the GT and 24,000lb for the GT XL....

big differences between the two....

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtonpaul View Post
at least for 2014, chassis is NOT the same for both....20,500lb chassis for the GT and 24,000lb for the GT XL....

big differences between the two....
Guess it has to do with the full size refrigerators available in the XL, but are probably available as an option on the standard as well. I'm sure the number of slides come into play as well. When we bought our coach every chassis had the same rating at 22,000lb, but each model then was also available as an XL or not. I read where it was mentioned that a standard GT had compartment doors that opened to the side. Who knows what they change along the way.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:

Attachment 54331

Attachment 54332
What I should have said is both lines are built on the Ford F53 Chassis but depending on length and number of slides etc. the ratings will vary from the XL Line and the standard GT Line.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #11

There's a good rundown of both sets of features in the 2014 brochure. Some things that XL has that are extras on STD. are:
FULL Body paint.
22.5 residential fridge w/ dedicated inverter
Tile Backsplash
Stainless Steel oven & microwave
Home Theater Sound
Seat integrated in shower
Transfer switch
70 amp converter
Fantastic fan in kitchen
24k lb chassis v. 20.5k gvwr
Choice of 2 countertops
Also...all XL's are 12'8 vs. 12'1 on STD... adding 4" of interior height and 3" elsewhere!
This is ONLY for the 2014 line from the brochure. We'll soon see what 2015 brings. I might have gone for the XL if they made one under 30 feet!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
There's a good rundown of both sets of features in the 2014 brochure. Some things that XL has that are extras on STD. are:
FULL Body paint.
22.5 residential fridge w/ dedicated inverter - We have that
Tile Backsplash - We have that
Stainless Steel oven & microwave - We have that
Home Theater Sound - We have that
Transfer switch - We have that
70 amp converter - Not sure what size ours is
Fantastic fan in kitchen - We have that
24k lb chassis v. 20.5k gvwr
Choice of 2 countertops
Also...all XL's are 12'8 vs. 12'1 on STD... adding 4" of interior height and 3" elsewhere!
This is ONLY for the 2014 line from the brochure. We'll soon see what 2015 brings. I might have gone for the XL if they made one under 30 feet!
We have a standard 351ds
Old 06-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
XL models have more standard features. One difference is the compartment doors. XL models open the side and standard GT models lift up. Chassis is the same for both, all based on the length of the coach
Doors are the same in both models. Haven't seen an XL with 19.5" wheels so they all seem to be in the larger 24k chassis.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Doors are the same in both models. Haven't seen an XL with 19.5" wheels so they all seem to be in the larger 24k chassis.
The brochures show the compartment doors being different. I see they open to the side now but aren't the full size door as the XL Line. At least that's what I see on the front of each brochure. If they changed it since, it makes sense to use one type of compartment doors.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
We have a standard 351ds...
22.5 residential fridge w/ dedicated inverter - We have that
Tile Backsplash - We have that
Stainless Steel oven & microwave - We have that
Home Theater Sound - We have that
Transfer switch - We have that
70 amp converter - Not sure what size ours is
Fantastic fan in kitchen - We have that
Al...are you saying you have that standard?? Or that it was available to add.
All those things are options on the STD G'town brochure...now I'm getting a 280Ds momentarily which ain't the same as yours...but I did have to pay extra for the transfer switch and the home theater and the fantastic fan in the kitchen just like the brochure says. A residential fridge and stainless steel appliances are not options on the 280 but they are listed for the larger coaches.
I have the forest river actual options sheet from the 2014 Tampa Show model and the pricing on each of the above items as ADD ONS.
My only point in my listing was that these items were STANDARD on the available XL models in 2014...and either options or not available on the equivalent STD models....in answer to the question posed by the OP.
Of course...there are other comparisons to be made...between similar models...like an extra slide or a full length queen...or a better CCC that you really can't generalize across the line about.

What will be more interesting is how the 2015 models are distinguished from each other. Prices are up in the standard line...but so are a few features. Has anyone seen anything on the 2015 XL changes?
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Al...are you saying you have that standard?? Or that it was available to add.
All those things are options on the STD G'town brochure...now I'm getting a 280Ds momentarily which ain't the same as yours...but I did have to pay extra for the transfer switch and the home theater and the fantastic fan in the kitchen just like the brochure says. A residential fridge and stainless steel appliances are not options on the 280 but they are listed for the larger coaches.
I have the forest river actual options sheet from the 2014 Tampa Show model and the pricing on each of the above items as ADD ONS.
My only point in my listing was that these items were STANDARD on the available XL models in 2014...and either options or not available on the equivalent STD models....in answer to the question posed by the OP.
Of course...there are other comparisons to be made...between similar models...like an extra slide or a full length queen...or a better CCC that you really can't generalize across the line about.

What will be more interesting is how the 2015 models are distinguished from each other. Prices are up in the standard line...but so are a few features. Has anyone seen anything on the 2015 XL changes?
To be honest, I don't know if it's standard or not. That's how we got ours of the lot. It sounds like all those things were extra.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #17

We have most of the same things as well, but they were upgrades to the base unit. Our dealer did say that they almost always ordered them equiped with the upgrades because they are more saleable that way (people want the residential fridge and stainless etc)

On our price sheet, they were listed as upgrades, although some things had become "standard" between the 2014 and 2015 model year (like allover vinyl vs some carpet, LED lights inside and under the awning etc) but they weren't listed as available options on the price sheet.

I think the only one we didn't do was the outdoor TV upgrade.

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #18

Quote:

if you go to MHSRV.com you can look at their inventory of '15 XL and non XL lines. they bring the coaches in pretty much loaded, in different color schemes. you can see the window sticker with the base price and then the price of options.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote