Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

XM Radio in Georgetown

Does anyone know if the xm radio in the GTowns is connected and/or has an antenna? I tried to get my radio ID and have been unable to do so. My only guess is that there isn't an antenna for it, or it's not connected. Thought I would try here before I tore the radio out to see.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

turn on xm go to channel one that is where you should find the number if you have xm should have antenna on top somewhere
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt View Post
turn on xm go to channel one that is where you should find the number if you have xm should have antenna on top somewhere
That's what I was thinking and did, but comes up with a "check tuner" message on radio. There is a small bubble cover on the roof, that I thought may house the antenna. Not sure what else it would be. If this is the case, I'm guessing that it's probably not connected at the radio. Has anyone tried to get there radio ID for XM?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

Are you sure you have the XM receiver installed or is your radio XM ready which means you have to add the XM receiver. The receiver is a add on and the antenna is a white bubble cover on the roof. I have one for the XM and one for the Nav. Both the Nav and XM are add on units to the basic radio. Check you MSRP sheet and see if your unit included the XM. Do you have Nav?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This must be the case. I pulled specs on radio and now see that it is Sirius XM "ready". I had assumed since the bubble was present on the roof, that the radio had the tuner built in. Since there is a bubble on the roof, would I be safe in assuming that the antennas for XM and NAV are present?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

I would think so. Mine had two bubbles right up front on the roof above the driver side. There is also some antenna looking thing hanging down behind the air cleaner in the engine Compt. Not sure what that's for.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Mine said xm ready but the antenna was there it was a black box behind the radio but they installed the antenna in the dash behind the steering wheel the navigation antenna is right beside that but it is a poor place for them to put it there sometimes when I'm pointed the wrong direction I will lose signal

2014 Georgetown XL 378
kgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
I would think so. Mine had two bubbles right up front on the roof above the driver side. There is also some antenna looking thing hanging down behind the air cleaner in the engine Compt. Not sure what that's for.
I only have 1 bubble, and it's pretty much in the center, maybe slightly to the driver side. I may check in the engine compartment to see if I have anything in there also.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I only have 1 bubble, and it's pretty much in the center, maybe slightly to the driver side. I may check in the engine compartment to see if I have anything in there also.
Aqua,does your Buddies Twin G/T have XM? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Aqua,does your Buddies Twin G/T have XM? Youroo!!
He has the bubble, but we never checked to see if the xm worked or not. He doesn't have Nav, and isn't as interested in XM as I am. He has his in storage at his brother's, mine is parked here at the shop so I can go out and tinker when the mood strikes.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
Dr Travel

Nope, you don't have XM

Big diff between XM and XM ready. You have to buy the missing part. Contact your dealer (good luck!) or better still, Georgetown directly. They should have that part in stock. Or you can get a better price online via eBay by searching for your particular radio brand/model. Usually about $200 or so. Maybe less!

Then you have to add a good antenna. The one the factory puts in is useless. Once again, find an antenna online that goes with the XM unit you buy, then find a good RV guy who does electronics and have him snake that antenna up along your windshield to the roof. Easy fix and you will get XM everywhere.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I found the tuner for $50 or less, and I bet if I call XM they will probably give me one. I will most likely try my antenna first, provided there is one.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

Can't be sure about the GT'sbut the Legacy is XMReady, meaning you provide the receiver and antenna. Simple install but no good location for the antenna so reception stinks when driving north. Receiver is like $45 at Best Buy.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #14

xm radio

Quote:
Does anyone know if the xm radio in the GTowns is connected and/or has an antenna? I tried to get my radio ID and have been unable to do so. My only guess is that there isn't an antenna for it, or it's not connected. Thought I would try here before I tore the radio out to see.
The xm or sirius ready radio will not open the xm or sirius channels unless the antenna/control box has been installed. It senses the signal, so if your radio does not identify the xm/sirius stations, you need to add the control box/antenna, whichever is missing.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Senior Member - Retired

Our GT XL came with the XM box installed. Unfortunately the antenna was stuffed up under the dashboard which prevented the XM unit from activating properly. Had to run the antenna wire up to the roof and mount the antenna near the right front of the roof. Then everything worked great.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #16

XM Radio

I was told that there is a slot for the XM ant. in the roof but there is not, So to run the wire ..take the panel off the side of the windshield, run the wire up into the cabinet and the through the roof. You may have cut a hole for the wire if you can't find a hole for the wire. It does require a metal plate for the ant. to sit on.
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #17
WhoDoMan

Well we had a similar issue with our 2014 377xl. The ant was stuffed up behind the dash unit tie wrapped in a neat ball. I returned the unit to the dealer and they installed it correctly. Our ant sits on the dash center. Hope this helps. Good luck!
whoDoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #18

Quote:
I found the tuner for $50 or less, and I bet if I call XM they will probably give me one. I will most likely try my antenna first, provided there is one.
Working this issue now on my 364 TS. Were you ever able to get an answer if the cable is in the dash somewhere? I see that there is not a cable connected to the readio but there is a dome on the roof.
roberts1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #19
7 Year Class A RV'er

The Sirius/XM adapter will plug into the jack on the back of the radio; the satellite antenna plugs into the adapter. The radio unit is only XM READY, which means it's capable, not equipped. I had the adapter from a previous radio and it worked fine, but there is no antenna installed from the factory, so you need to find a way to route the antenna to the roof. Instead of doing that, I just sat the antenna on the dash and routed the wire down to the unit. Trouble is, the satellite seems to orbit around the equator, so if you're south bound, reception is great. North bound, you have no reception. East and west bound it fluctuates depending on whether the satellite is ahead of you or behind you.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #20
JBP

There is and earlier tread on this that goes into detail on all of this.
Sirius/XM will send you the module and antenna for I believe 65.00 plus shipping. If you activate and keep it for two years they will credit the module to your account. I believe it was 50.00.
If you have two bubbles on the roof the one closest to being over the drivers seat is the Raidio antenna for Sirius/XM antenna. It is pre-wired to the area of the radio. Find the end and plug the antenna into the module and the module into he radio and you are good to go. Turn it on and call Sirius/XM to activate. If you don't have the second bubble use the enclosed antenna that comes with the module.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, radio