Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

Yet one more problem sort of fixed

We had perfect reception with the antenna channels. When we hooked up cable, the scan found zero channels. So I started digging into it and found a couple loose connections.

Problem was that even though the scan found all our channels, they were barely visible. The switching box with the three positions (antenna, cable, aux) didn't do a thing if you switched it. The amp button for the antenna wouldn't do anything.

I disconnected all the cables to the box and still had perfect reception with the antena and the same crappy video for cable. So basically, the box was useless.

I pulled the amp receptacle and found two cables hooked up to it. I hooked up one of them to the output of the switching box and the cable tv one to the cable input. Now we have perfect cable in three TVs but the living room one has a bit of noise (this is a cable problem with a bad crimp somewhere in a splitter somewhere). Keyword, somewhere.

Now the wife is happy with her cable channels. I can't believe how it was put together. During the walkthrough they just test the antenna side of hings to show you it works, but not the cable side.

Hindsight 20/20. If you are buying an RV, have them go through everything.

I still don't know why there are six sets of cables in that compartment. Wish someone could explain it because the box is worthless.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Had similar problem with my 2007. Front TV worked but nothing else did. OHMed the cable out and found there was no continuity with the back TV cable or the Park Cable either. Made it part of my punchout list and it never got fixed. Ran a cable from the front to the rear across the floor and everything was fine. Somewhere within the curve of the roof there are open cables. I ended up running my own from the front under the coach and back up to the rear TV and replaced the cable to the Park Cable connector. No problems since. Some of the issues we've all encountered would be found if FR did a proper QC check, but it doesn't appear they want to take the time to do it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

I also had cable issues. The coax connectors still had a coating on the center conductor. I found 2 connectors with this issue.
All I had to do is remove the coating with my nail and all was good.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #4

When you say 6 sets do you mean 6 each cables. 4 cables for the selector box 1 cable for SAT prewire and I'm not sure what the other one would be for if the ant amp is connected and is not one of those 6 but there's 5 accounted for. I'm thinking that the cables were just not connected to the right place to start with.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
When you say 6 sets do you mean 6 each cables. 4 cables for the selector box 1 cable for SAT prewire and I'm not sure what the other one would be for if the ant amp is connected and is not one of those 6 but there's 5 accounted for. I'm thinking that the cables were just not connected to the right place to start with.
there are six each cables. Two that hook up to the antena amp receptacle and four for the switch box. I'm happy I got the cable fix, but would eventually like to hook everything up correctly. For the rest of this season our spot has cable, but next season we are going to travel and we will have a mixture of cable and antenna needs.

Would really like to have the factory schematics to see how they laid out the cables, splitters, etc so I can hook everything where it goes.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

This may help. An OHM meter could be used to verify. This is how my 2012 378ts is wired but should be similar for you with 3 tv's. You may not have the sat prewire. For 3 tv's there may be a 3 way splitter or another splitter down range for the 3rd tv. Just speculation of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Wiring_Diagram.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	40732  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Now the wife is happy with her cable channels. I can't believe how it was put together. During the walkthrough they just test the antenna side of hings to show you it works, but not the cable side.

Hindsight 20/20. If you are buying an RV, have them go through everything.
In fairness to the dealers, I doubt many of them have cable available in their service areas, so it wouldn't be possible to test the cable connection during the PDI. I wouldn't expect them to go through all the electrical connections individually - would take forever.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
In fairness to the dealers, I doubt many of them have cable available in their service areas, so it wouldn't be possible to test the cable connection during the PDI. I wouldn't expect them to go through all the electrical connections individually - would take forever.
One of those old school VCR that plays on channel 3 could be used to test the connections. Just hook up to the cable inlet and verify the signal makes it to the TV. The only thing you're testing is the connections anyways. It's not like you need to channel surf during the PDI.

Actually, I should go do that. We've never tested ours, nor do I think we'll ever want cable hookup, but it would be good to validate during before any warranties expire.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This may help. An OHM meter could be used to verify. This is how my 2012 378ts is wired but should be similar for you with 3 tv's. You may not have the sat prewire. For 3 tv's there may be a 3 way splitter or another splitter down range for the 3rd tv. Just speculation of course.
Thanks for the diagram. That should help.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Fairness to the dealers. LOL. They rather have things break so they can make real money fixing them. Next time I spend that kind of money I'm going to have them go through every switch, outlet, light, tire pressure...I mean everything. Do you know how frustrating it is to spend that kind of money, get to your campsite, and have something go wrong, and then have your wife all pissy because that expensive house on wheels already has issues.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
One of those old school VCR that plays on channel 3 could be used to test the connections. Just hook up to the cable inlet and verify the signal makes it to the TV. The only thing you're testing is the connections anyways. It's not like you need to channel surf during the PDI.

Actually, I should go do that. We've never tested ours, nor do I think we'll ever want cable hookup, but it would be good to validate during before any warranties expire.
Or they could invest a couple hundred bucks on one of those gizmos the cable guy uses where he plugs it in one end and checks on the other to make sure the cable is good.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #12

Did I say a couple hundred bucks, you can get them cheap from ebay anywhere from 15 to 50 bucks. I'm going to get one to fix mine.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Anacortesians

We also had a problem with very poor picture quality on the front overhead TV when we had cable plugged in. It worked fine with the VCR or DVD player. I used an old VCR as a test source and found that there was a problem somewhere in the coax between the cable socket and the distribution box up front. Since I had no documentation to indicate where the coax ran, I decided to by-pass it.

We'd already dumped the bedroom TV, so I ran a new coax from the back of the cable socket in the cargo bay up into where the bedroom TV had been and connected it to the line that had fed the bedroom TV. I then changed over the "bedroom" coax on the back of the distribution box to the "Cable TV" socket and we get a good picture now when on a CG cable TV system.

Initially, I thought of moving the Cable TV wall-plate to the forward cargo bay, just behind the driver's door and taking a new coax up through the bay ceiling and then alongside the driver's door, up the windshield trim and into the overhead cabinets, but the trick with the surplus coax from the bedroom was an easier fix.