Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

2014 Canadian Maritime RV Caravan

My DW and I are really planning ahead our 2014 RV trips. The latest is a planned RV trip with 18-20 rigs heading north from someplace around Boston MA. The route hasn't been finalized but is a typical route most of the groups use. I mean the roads are limited. The latest information is that it will be around 58-60 days. (mid June to mid Aug) The group consists of a wagonmaster I personally know and have travelled with him before and very pleased.

The questions I have at the moment just to start thinking ahead are...
1. Do most use US credit cards where ever they go and buy or can you use US dollars.

2. I know the ferry to Newfoundland is expensive but wanted to ask if we really need to take our toad all the way across the ferry when we don't really plan to drive it. So is their a place to park and leave the toad in Sidney which is where I think the ferry leaves from.

3. What would you think is appropriate clothing for the summer in the area?

4. Has anyone taken this route and wants to tell about any great sites we shouldn't miss?

5. Any other input, suggestions, or facts will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully we will have some Canadians to chime in and tell us their experiences in the area.

P.S. YES I love any fresh seafood!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

Our 1st stop going from MD is Freeport, ME stopping overnight at the LL Bean store. It is 24/7 store & you can dry camp in their RV parking lot. They also have an outlet store there that opens in the morning about 9. We always seem to pay for our free camping by shopping. There isn't enough room for 20 RV's but there are plenty of parking lots that you may be able to use if you go to the back part.

The 2d day we head the Blackwoods campground on Acadia. Bar Harbor & Acadia are well worth a trip & some time exploring. If you want to steam or boil lobsters at your camp site, go to Parson's to get them (she also has great blueberry pies that he sister makes). She gets them delivered directly from the boats & supplies the local restaurants. At that time of the year they are molting so you can break the shells with your fingers, we prefer them to the hard shell lobsters.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

The Arm of Gold is the last CG before the ferry to Newfoundland. They do allow you to store your toad there for a fee. It would be less then taking it across the ferry. Newfoundland can be cool at night in the summer. You will not need winter jackets or snow boots. A spring jacket or sweater would be enough. You should go around the Cabot Trail while in NS. There is a Lobster dinner in Baddeck. Do not forger about Fortress Loisburg and the miners museum in Glace Bay. All the above attractions can be enjoyed while staying at Arm of Gold CG. The Cabot Trail will be an all day drive, but the scenery is worth it. At the miners museum in Glace Bay you will be able to go down in a real mine. If the Men of the Deep are practicing while in the Glace Bay area you should go and watch them. They are a group of retired coal miners that have traveled the world doing concerts. Fortress Louisburg is an old fort from the English/French war. The dinner at Baddeck consist of one lobster and all the chowder, mussels, potato salad and dessert you can eat. I usually have 2 or 3 bowls of mussels before my lobster and then have another bowl before I have dessert. It sounds like you will have a great time. Wish we had the time to join your group.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Our 1st stop going from MD is Freeport, ME stopping overnight at the LL Bean store. It is 24/7 store & you can dry camp in their RV parking lot. They also have an outlet store there that opens in the morning about 9. We always seem to pay for our free camping by shopping. There isn't enough room for 20 RV's but there are plenty of parking lots that you may be able to use if you go to the back part.

The 2d day we head the Blackwoods campground on Acadia. Bar Harbor & Acadia are well worth a trip & some time exploring. If you want to steam or boil lobsters at your camp site, go to Parson's to get them (she also has great blueberry pies that he sister makes). She gets them delivered directly from the boats & supplies the local restaurants. At that time of the year they are molting so you can break the shells with your fingers, we prefer them to the hard shell lobsters.

Ohh Molting lobsters. Yum!
We will be staying at a payed campground each night so no parking lots.
Thanks for the information.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Thanks Terry for the information.
Hopefully we will be staying at the Arm of Gold Campground.
I think I may get a preliminary itinerary shortly.
Iggy
Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #6

We plan on doing that trip (tentatively) in 2014 as well! Here is a link for tourism for Newfoundland (Newfoundland & Labrador Traveller)

P.S. you can use your credit cards anywhere in Canada. Two most common are Mastercard and Visa, not as frquently accepted is American Express.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We went to Newfoundland a few years back with our fifth wheel and hope to go there again sometime. USA credit cards are fine all over Canada you can also use your debt cards to get Canadian cash from atm's or cash back at places like Walmart. Most places will take US cash but but you will probably get C$ in charge and not a good exchange rate. The merchant will have to pay a fee to there bank when they deposit US$. You will need some cash for small out of the way places.
I will definitely take our toad when we go back. There are so many small fishing villages and other places where it is not practical to go with our coach. If you go to rv.net and post your question in the Canadian area there I'm sure you will get a lot of information. There are some on there that live on NL.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the information.
I just recieved the basic itinerary.
Here it is in Acrobat pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maritimes Itinerary.pdf (188.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

Watch the roads when going to Century Farm Campground. We were down that road several years ago and it is narrow and has a lot of turns. We came upon a MH in the ditch. He got too close to the edge of the road and slide off. The Baddeck Cabot Trail CG is the old KOA. I found the sites here very small and not level. We tried staying here one year and the trailer was tilled sideways by almost a foot. They might have done a ton of up grades but there is a better campground just down the road and is located on the shores of the Bras D'or Lake. If your are not already committed at this CG it would be wise to check out Bras d'Or Lake Campground.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Watch the roads when going to Century Farm Campground. We were down that road several years ago and it is narrow and has a lot of turns. We came upon a MH in the ditch. He got too close to the edge of the road and slide off. The Baddeck Cabot Trail CG is the old KOA. I found the sites here very small and not level. We tried staying here one year and the trailer was tilled sideways by almost a foot. They might have done a ton of up grades but there is a better campground just down the road and is located on the shores of the Bras D'or Lake. If your are not already committed at this CG it would be wise to check out Bras d'Or Lake Campground.

I will pass on the information to my trailboss who is planning the trip and stops.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #11

When traveling Newfoundland, don't pass up opportunities to top off the diesel tanks if you have a diesel.

Especially travelling up to St Anthony past Gander and back down the west side to Port aux Basques....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
When traveling Newfoundland, don't pass up opportunities to top off the diesel tanks if you have a diesel.

Especially travelling up to St Anthony past Gander and back down the west side to Port aux Basques....

We have a gas Georgetown motorhome and have looked at fuel locations during the trip. I know the gas and diesel are expensive in Canada especially way north in Newfoundland. Last check Newfoundland gas was about 1.15 C$ ($4.37 US gal ) a Liter for gas and 1.32 C$ ($5.01 USgal ) a liter for diesel.

The funny part is it seems wher eyou have a Costco is where you should fill up. It is the cheapest. I also plan on taking a few 5 gallon containers for emergency fuel if needed.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
We have a gas Georgetown motorhome and have looked at fuel locations during the trip. I know the gas and diesel are expensive in Canada especially way north in Newfoundland. Last check Newfoundland gas was about 1.15 C$ ($4.37 US gal ) a Liter for gas and 1.32 C$ ($5.01 USgal ) a liter for diesel.

The funny part is it seems wher eyou have a Costco is where you should fill up. It is the cheapest. I also plan on taking a few 5 gallon containers for emergency fuel if needed.

Gas is ~1.35 a liter here (I'm in Gander) right now.

Was 1.45-ish a short while ago.

Unleaded is easier to come by than diesel around the out-ports, but it's not a desperate situation finding diesel either....when we travel to the ferry in Port Aux Basques, I fill up about halfway there.

If you need fuel though, make sure you don't go too late in to the night to look for it. Most west coast places are usually closed after about 1800 or so....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Gas is ~1.35 a liter here (I'm in Gander) right now.

Was 1.45-ish a short while ago.

Unleaded is easier to come by than diesel around the out-ports, but it's not a desperate situation finding diesel either....when we travel to the ferry in Port Aux Basques, I fill up about halfway there.

If you need fuel though, make sure you don't go too late in to the night to look for it. Most west coast places are usually closed after about 1800 or so....
That's great information about when the stations close.
I will remember that. I have a 80 gallon tank and can do about 600 miles with no problem and have set a fueling schedule arout every 450 to 500 miles. I will have to fillup once in Newfoundland. Probably on the SW end.

Thanks again.
Iggy

PS ... By any chance will you be at the FROG Rally June 30 July 5th in Ontario/Niagra Falls?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #15

I've stayed at most of your campgrounds listed on the itinerary. I would take your toad. As suggested , there are a lot of narrow winding roads in some of the communities you will be visiting. My hometown of St. Anthony is also on your list. It is getting a bit late for icebergs, but you may be lucky. Whales for sure. My buddy owns a restuarant that I'm sure you will be visiting. It's called "Lightkeepers Cafe and Leifsburder" at fishing point in St. Anthony. Lots of seafood on the menu. Mention my name and he'll probably hike the price.. You shouldn't have any problem with gas stations. There is only one Costco Store in Newfoundland. St. John's and they usually sell gas for6-8 cents a litre cheaper. Sometimes, not worth the wait and it's not really big rig friendly. Mosquitos and black flies abound at Triple Falls CG. Be prepared. A light jacket and long legged pants are a must for the evenings and most days too.

When you stay in lunenburg, give me a call. I live about 20 minutes away in Bridgewater. Feel free to ask any questions. More than 'appy to oblige.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #16

BTW,, While staying at Pippy Park in St. John's, keep things under lock and key. That place is notorious for stolen camping equipment. It's situated within city limits.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I've stayed at most of your campgrounds listed on the itinerary. I would take your toad. As suggested , there are a lot of narrow winding roads in some of the communities you will be visiting. My hometown of St. Anthony is also on your list. It is getting a bit late for icebergs, but you may be lucky. Whales for sure. My buddy owns a restuarant that I'm sure you will be visiting. It's called "Lightkeepers Cafe and Leifsburder" at fishing point in St. Anthony. Lots of seafood on the menu. Mention my name and he'll probably hike the price.. You shouldn't have any problem with gas stations. There is only one Costco Store in Newfoundland. St. John's and they usually sell gas for6-8 cents a litre cheaper. Sometimes, not worth the wait and it's not really big rig friendly. Mosquitos and black flies abound at Triple Falls CG. Be prepared. A light jacket and long legged pants are a must for the evenings and most days too.

When you stay in lunenburg, give me a call. I live about 20 minutes away in Bridgewater. Feel free to ask any questions. More than 'appy to oblige.

Thanks Terry for the information. I have started a book in preperation to the trip in 2014 and have you down when we hit Lunenburg. We will be there at the Board of Trade Campground. They have wifi so I can contact you that way. The date is set so we will be there. All we have to do is live until then. LOL

Thanks for the information and I'm sure I will have more questions as we get closer.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #18

Quote:
That's great information about when the stations close.
I will remember that. I have a 80 gallon tank and can do about 600 miles with no problem and have set a fueling schedule arout every 450 to 500 miles. I will have to fillup once in Newfoundland. Probably on the SW end.

Thanks again.
Iggy

PS ... By any chance will you be at the FROG Rally June 30 July 5th in Ontario/Niagra Falls?

Nope, won't be there.

Stuck around the rock this year and my ancestral home in NS...

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #19

Question
If we take the ferry to PEI for X $'s I was told the bridge from PEI coming back was free direction.
Is that correct?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Question
If we take the ferry to PEI for X $'s I was told the bridge from PEI coming back was free direction.
Is that correct?
Confederation Bridge is one way charge but it's on the way back:

The Confederation Bridge

Northumberland Ferries is also collect on way back only.

They don't get ya comin' but they sure get ya goin'!

Husky Centerline Hitch

Tags