Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

2014 Canadian Maritime Trip (3,000 miles in 60 days)

Never been to Maritime area.
Well my military buddies and I have planned a 60 day Canadian Maritime RV trip. Jun 16, 2014 to Aug 17, 2014. 60 days long from Bangor Maine and back to Bangor Maine. I still have to add about 6,000 more miles on to that total to Arizona to Bangor and back to Arizona. I figure my total will be 60 days and 10,000 mile for the whole adventure.

Bangor Maine - 4 days
New Brunswick - 9days
Nova Scotia - 22 days
Newfoundland - Long ferry over and short ferry back. - 18 days
Price Edward Island - 7 days

We have 20 rigs and will be travelling in 6-7 in a group.
All the camping reservations, tours and shortly the ferry reservations will be finalized in early 2014.

We have two that have been on the trip before and know all the roads, tours etc. I know we will be eating lots of seafood... (Yum!)
I've heard Canadians give discounts to US citizens on their gas and diesel fuel.
I have done lots of research and it looks like a beautiful trip with lots of great sites. I'm sure I will have a few thousand pictures and videos by the time I get back.

I figure you only live once and why not do it now while we are healthy enough and have no major ailments yet.
So now that I let the cat out of the bag does anyone have some tips or great places to eat along the way?

Here is my itinerary so far.

Oh I know I wrote NF instead of NL for Newfoundland in some of the blocks.
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

I would be staying at a different CG at Baddeck. Baddeck Cabot trail RV is the old KOA. We stayed at this CG twice. The first time it rained over night and there was poor drainage. We left the trailer to 4 inches of water. The second time we had reservations for a drive trough site. When we reached the CG and were taken to the site we asked for a different site. The ground had a slope of over 6 inches form side to side. No way to level the TT safely. Plus the site was so narrow we could not open our awning. You would have a better Cg if you stayed at the Arm of Gold for your entire stay on CB Island. Another CG is the KOA at New Harris (North Sydney/Cabot Trail). This CG is located at the base of Kelly's Mountain with a view water. While in Baddeck you could visit the Baddeck Lobster supper. Another great restaurant in Baddeck is the Blue Buoy. When going around the Cabot Trail there is a nice crab shake in Neil's Harbour. It does not look like much but the food is great and not "fast food". We had the chowder and crab roll last time we were there.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. The campground reservations are made by our leader and tail gunner. I plan on expecting rain and we will just hope we have good days. Looking forward to the trip even though its over 6 months away.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
John
Old 11-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

I've stayed at many of the parks on your list. You'll enjoy you stay in St. Anthony. It's a long drive but a beautiful one with a great destination. You're also be staying there during the 3 days of summer they have. LOL. It's my hometown, but I live in NS now.
I live just 10 minutes from you when you stay in Lunenburg. (Bridgewater. NS)
I do envy you as this is a great itinerary. Beware though, we do charge Americans a premium for gas and diesel. chaching, chaching,
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I've stayed at many of the parks on your list. You'll enjoy you stay in St. Anthony. It's a long drive but a beautiful one with a great destination. You're also be staying there during the 3 days of summer they have. LOL. It's my hometown, but I live in NS now.
I live just 10 minutes from you when you stay in Lunenburg. (Bridgewater. NS)
I do envy you as this is a great itinerary. Beware though, we do charge Americans a premium for gas and diesel. chaching, chaching,
We can handle the cooler, cloudy weather as we spend many years in Washington state. We are taking this long trip with friends and is a once in a lifetime RVing trip. We expect to make our donation to the local economy as well as the Canada's treasury. Life is too short to worry about the small stuff.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #6

One item I have not seen, is that you have your NL ferry reservations made; do it now, especially if you want a cabin on the North Sydney to Argentia run?

Pippy Park in St. John's, NL is a great park. It's our end of season choice! When there drop me a note, it would be great to meet forum members F2F.

I'll post some 'NL' areas of interest in the next couple of days.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduff View Post
One item I have not seen, is that you have your NL ferry reservations made; do it now, especially if you want a cabin on the North Sydney to Argentia run?

Pippy Park in St. John's, NL is a great park. It's our end of season choice! When there drop me a note, it would be great to meet forum members F2F.

I'll post some 'NL' areas of interest in the next couple of days.
Thanks
We already have reservations made as a group rate which saves about 10% the standard rate. Now we have to wait until they post the schedule and prices for 2014. Yes we will have a cabin for the long ferry.

Great! I will send you and email and let you know we are there. Actually the schedule is set solid so you have some idea when.

Any NL area of interest would be helpful.

Thanks
John I
Old 12-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #8

Sounds like a great trip, me and my wife are planning 2 weeks in Canada.
Leave western NY for Montreal 2 days, 2 days Quebec. 4 Days Prince Edward Island, a few days in Maine. Looking at the July timeframe.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
You will have a great trip.
NL was one of our all time best trips ever.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

Don't miss the Tattoo in Halifax the first week of July. It's an AMAZING event; I saw this as a child and another Tattoo in London as an adult. Here's a link to it: Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo - About The Tattoo .

The Maritime Provinces are definitely on our bucket list! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #11

Alaska 2014

DW and I are heading out come June 1, 2014, first to cross the USA from Dallas, Georgia, then landing somewhere close Calgary Canada, then heading up the Alcan Highway to Northern Alaska. Jump around in the northern parts of the state before we head back in August. We plan to spend 90 days just moving around and seeing the sites on our bucket list. Getting everything laid out at this time for the trip. Hope you folks had a great time, maybe can meet up somewhere and have a meal together. Here is our rig, just look for BERTHA:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truckandcamper.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	43684   Click image for larger version

Name:	user20361_pic3225_1330395164.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	43685  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Apart from the sheer beauty and mostly untouched natural vistas, one of the great tourist attractions in Newfoundland is the people. Be sure to stop and talk to the locals. They (we) are a very engaging culture known for story telling, music and jokes. Over 500 years of tolling and eaking out a living from the sea in harsh, unpredictable weather conditions in a rugged environment, the people's resolve carry on. The island of Newfoundland is affectionally referred to as "The Rock" , but this term also refers to the people who have perservered through hard times and still are able to take time with visitors and share a story or two. Maybe even a "toddy". This is a quote from a fisherman, who's life and livelihood was taken away when the fishery collapsed in the early nineties. He was interviewed by a well known national journalist when he said. "I got a nob in me gut and a tear in me eye as I look out to where I once belong and belongs no more".
Enjoy your visit Iggy and the same to all your travelling partners. It will be a lifetime experience. Visit the museums, but take time to talk to the people.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Apart from the sheer beauty and mostly untouched natural vistas, one of the great tourist attractions in Newfoundland is the people. Be sure to stop and talk to the locals. They (we) are a very engaging culture known for story telling, music and jokes. Over 500 years of tolling and eaking out a living from the sea in harsh, unpredictable weather conditions in a rugged environment, the people's resolve carry on. The island of Newfoundland is affectionally referred to as "The Rock" , but this term also refers to the people who have perservered through hard times and still are able to take time with visitors and share a story or two. Maybe even a "toddy". This is a quote from a fisherman, who's life and livelihood was taken away when the fishery collapsed in the early nineties. He was interviewed by a well known national journalist when he said. "I got a nob in me gut and a tear in me eye as I look out to where I once belong and belongs no more".
Enjoy your visit Iggy and the same to all your travelling partners. It will be a lifetime experience. Visit the museums, but take time to talk to the people.
Yes Rugged Brown I plan on making new friends at all stops.
I really like when they tell me where they eat out and like.
I have been preparing my Georgetown with emergency parts like extra windshield wiper blades, fuses, oil filters, air filters, and plenty of duck tape. I did buy a nice truck tire repair kit just in case I get a slow leak in my 22.5" tires. Probably will never have to use any of it as I really know my rig backwards and foreword.
It would be nice to meet you if the time fits. You know where I will be on any day. Just look for the Georgetown from Arizona pulling a red Fiat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4199.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	47675  
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Yes Rugged Brown I plan on making new friends at all stops.
I really like when they tell me where they eat out and like.
I have been preparing my Georgetown with emergency parts like extra windshield wiper blades, fuses, oil filters, air filters, and plenty of duck tape. I did buy a nice truck tire repair kit just in case I get a slow leak in my 22.5" tires. Probably will never have to use any of it as I really know my rig backwards and foreword.
It would be nice to meet you if the time fits. You know where I will be on any day. Just look for the Georgetown from Arizona pulling a red Fiat.

i'll keep an eye out for ya
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #15

Well we are about 30 days before we leave Arizona heading to the Canadian Maritime area. In the coming weeks I will slowly start preparing the motorhome for the it's 10,000 mile trip. I have made a few online friends in Nova Scotia and St Johns thru the Canadian Metal Detector Association and we plan on doing some metal detecting for artifacts along the coasts and woods.
Can't wait as long as the snow melts and the rivers drop along my route.
Iggy

P.S. to Rugged Brown.
I have applied for a gas lone from the local bank to pay for the that Canadian liquid gold called gas.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #16

Alaska

we are hitching up come may 9th for our trip as well. Our home is in Chatsworth, GA., been working on this for several month, started on the 5'er today with wheel bearing maintenance, then running lights, clean all tanks and prime, lubricate all valves, locks and hinges..
good luck
kickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Well we are about 30 days before we leave Arizona heading to the Canadian Maritime area. In the coming weeks I will slowly start preparing the motorhome for the it's 10,000 mile trip. I have made a few online friends in Nova Scotia and St Johns thru the Canadian Metal Detector Association and we plan on doing some metal detecting for artifacts along the coasts and woods.
Can't wait as long as the snow melts and the rivers drop along my route.
Iggy

P.S. to Rugged Brown.
I have applied for a gas lone from the local bank to pay for the that Canadian liquid gold called gas.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
we are hitching up come may 9th for our trip as well. Our home is in Chatsworth, GA., been working on this for several month, started on the 5'er today with wheel bearing maintenance, then running lights, clean all tanks and prime, lubricate all valves, locks and hinges..
good luck
kickster
You heading to the Maritime area also?
Cool.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #18

Iggy: this may interest you.

Curse of Oak Island reignites centuries-old treasure hunt - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Watch The Curse of Oak Island Full Episodes & Videos Online - HISTORY.com
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

Sounds like a wonderful grand trip. You will love the the maritime s. If any of your group like aviation history, a short stop in Gander NL might be of interest.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #20

Terry I watched it on TV about a month ago.
Not sure about the guys but they were checking in a swamp area and thought they found something. But after getting into the muck they lost the signal. They called it a ghost signal which just decided to leave. LOL
I know many people arrived, stayed and settled in the Maritime area hundreds of years ago. It is always fun to see what you can find in the ground. I need more walking exercise and this helps me a great deal.
We will be on the local news if I find any gold.