Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

2017 Calgary Stampede RV trip set.

Hi Everyone.

Well I know 2017 is still a almost 3 months away but I have already made plans for my 2017 RV travels. We have not travelled in Alberta so this will be fun. My friend and wagonmaster has made all the arrangements for the campgrounds as well as the Stampede tickets and some tours.
We will also get annual Canada park passes to make it easier for all to visit.
This is a caravan of friends and not a commercial caravan. Sorry we are full.

I will be meeting up with them in Great Falls MT in late June and we will head north for over 30 days enjoying Alberta.

From there we will do the big loop west then north from Calgary and back down to Great Falls MT. Dates will be June 24th to July 30th.

I will have the exact route and campgrounds later this month.

Just wanted to hear from other who live there in Calgary about the Stampeded and things I should do and places to see.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Not an Albertan or Calgarian however your Canada National park pass for 2017 will be free. This is because next year is our country's 150 birthday and to celebrate the national park entrance fees will be waived! Enjoy and have a great time!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Not an Albertan or Calgarian however your Canada National park pass for 2017 will be free. This is because next year is our country's 150 birthday and to celebrate the national park entrance fees will be waived! Enjoy and have a great time!
Didn't know that. Is it free for even folks retired military folks from the USA?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Hi Everyone.

Well I know 2017 is still a almost 3 months away but I have already made plans for my 2017 RV travels. We have not travelled in Alberta so this will be fun. My friend and wagonmaster has made all the arrangements for the campgrounds as well as the Stampede tickets and some tours.

I will be meeting up with them in Great Falls MT in late June and we will head north for over 30 days enjoying Alberta.

From there we will do the big loop west then north from Calgary and back down to Great Falls MT. Dates will be June 24th to July 30th.

Just wanted to hear from other who live there in Calgary about the Stampeded and things I should do and places to see.
Iggy,

I live about 30km NW of Calgary and will be more than willing to provide you with any help and advice I can.
The first advice I would offer is whatever you do, don't stay at any campground close to Calgary. They are terrible. The nearest one I would recommend is in Cochrane (Bow Rivers Edge). It will take about 40 minutes from there to the Stampede grounds by car or you can drive part way and get the C-Train. That would save you on the rip-off parking fees at the Stampede ground and take you directly to the entrance.

There is lots to see and do in Calgary, especially at that time of year. If you enjoy fishing, the Bow River (adjacent to the CG) is one of the best (apparently) in Canada.

Plenty of golf here too if that is your thing. If it is hiking, lots to see and do in Kananaskis country and Banff NP.

With the current exchange rate favouring US visitors you'll most likely find most things less expensive than home or about the same - even gas.

Yup, next year the Canada Parks Pass is free - for everyone - to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada.

If you're planning on staying in some of the NP's (Banff, Yolo, Waterton Lakes) you'll need to book early as most places will go in a heartbeat - many Canadians staying home due to the poor exchange rate.

Sales tax here is 5% with no Provincial tax to add on either. Border crossings are usually no problem coming in to Canada from MT. If you travel with a firearm (I read that many US residents do)leave them at home - they won't let you in with those.

I see that you are retired USAF (thank you for your service) so one thing you may well find interesting is the Bomber Command museum of Canada located in Nanton, just south of Calgary. They have some WWII aircraft and I know on occasions they fire up the engines - their website will have more details. Also the Military museum in Calgary and the Heritage Centre (original houses, shops and trains all restored and placed into a living outdoor centre - also has a restored steam paddle boat that goes around the reservoir) and is accessible by C Train.

If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to PM me or post back on here.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #5

Thank you Richard for that information.
I have travelled into Canada many times but not to Alberta. Ontario and the Maritime areas so far. Enjoyed every minute of it and love the great Canadians I have met along the way.
The exchange rate looks great and hope it stays that way in 2017.
Does look like Alberta fuel prices are still reasonable compared to other places. I remember in 2014 paying $1.45 CN$ per Liter in Newfoundland.
For you US folks that equals $5.48CN$ per US Gallon. And driving a Georgetown that gets 7mpg I left a few $$ in Canada.

Not sure yet where the group leader has decided to stay in Calgary. I should know more in about a week when I meet up with him and see the full plan. After a few days at the Stampede (July 8th & 9th) we will head to Banff then north to Lake Louise and Jasper.

I also knew about the Canadian NP pass being free for 2017. That was a great gift your Prime Minister Trudeau gave everyone. Everyone in the group are retired military and visit many Vet organizations while in Canada.
Thanks again for this information and will keep you posted as we get closer to our visit and if I have any questions.

John
Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #6

I believe there is a campground on the western edge of Calgary. I stayed there a few nights two summers ago. It is not the nicest campground I have been in however it does have FHU and it is in the city and probably close to public transit.

Calgary West Campground ~ Enjoy Our Famous Western Hospitality!

Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

I lived in Calgary for five years and have been back twice since but I've never been to the Stampede so I'm no help there.

While you're in the area I recommend a side trip to the Badlands and Drumheller. Lots of tourist cash grabs in town but the Royal Tyrrell* Museum (of Palaeontology) is well worth a visit.

DW's folks were in the area this fall and recommend the Lion's CG in High River; the one in Okotoks is nice too.

*pronounced TEAR-ull

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
I believe there is a campground on the western edge of Calgary. I stayed there a few nights two summers ago. It is not the nicest campground I have been in however it does have FHU and it is in the city and probably close to public transit.

Calgary West Campground ~ Enjoy Our Famous Western Hospitality!

I drive past this everyday on my way in and out of work. I really wouldn't like to recommend it in all good conscience. The reviews this place receives do not speak highly of it.

Calgary Stampede itself is something I tend to avoid. Next year we drive over to Ontario while the Stampede is in full swing. If bull riding and chuck wagon races are what you like then it would be good but there is also a large funfair and lots of other events to see. Just not my cup of tea.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

Stay way out on the perimeters of calgary.. it gets a little crazy for us canadians....even the prostitutes leave town...seriously . ..
Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #10

I'm a Calgarian, so I haven't stayed in the nearby campgrounds. But, the father of one of my colleagues loves the Callaway park campground. It is a bit west of the campground that was dumped on in an earlier post. It doesn't have views of the City, but it does have views of the mountains.

Campground | Calaway Park | Calgary Amusement Park, Theme Park and Campground

--Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:42 AM   #11

Been to calaway. It's terrible. Make sure you have really long extensions for power, water and sewer. Their spacing is insane. And the campground looks like an old lawn with trailers and nesbecks all over it. Not camping. Go a little further and hit K country. Lots of beautiful areas close to west Calgary.
phln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi Everyone.

I grew up in Calgary. It depends what you want to do. Big city with lots of fun. The stampede grounds are always insane hot. 30-40 degrees Celsius and water is $5 per bottle so bring your own. The entertainment at Calgary is best if you can get chuckwagon tickets in the grandstands. Rangeland derby is the highlight. On an offbeat path check out Kanaskis country and since you will be close you should check out waterton on your way down to Mt. it will be a free year to enter any national parks so expect them to be full and crazy.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Didn't know that. Is it free for even folks retired military folks from the USA?

Free to all thanks to our Liberal Mr. Trudeau. Let's not open that can of worms.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you Richard for that information.
I have travelled into Canada many times but not to Alberta. Ontario and the Maritime areas so far. Enjoyed every minute of it and love the great Canadians I have met along the way.
The exchange rate looks great and hope it stays that way in 2017.
Does look like Alberta fuel prices are still reasonable compared to other places. I remember in 2014 paying $1.45 CN$ per Liter in Newfoundland.
For you US folks that equals $5.48CN$ per US Gallon. And driving a Georgetown that gets 7mpg I left a few $$ in Canada.

Not sure yet where the group leader has decided to stay in Calgary. I should know more in about a week when I meet up with him and see the full plan. After a few days at the Stampede (July 8th & 9th) we will head to Banff then north to Lake Louise and Jasper.

I also knew about the Canadian NP pass being free for 2017. That was a great gift your Prime Minister Trudeau gave everyone. Everyone in the group are retired military and visit many Vet organizations while in Canada.
Thanks again for this information and will keep you posted as we get closer to our visit and if I have any questions.

John

John, you must go to waterton park. It makes Banff look like a boring town with trees. It's just north of Montana. Worth a day trip. Go find a trail called Akimina Pass which takes you to Wall Lake. It will blow your mind.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
I drive past this everyday on my way in and out of work. I really wouldn't like to recommend it in all good conscience. The reviews this place receives do not speak highly of it.

Calgary Stampede itself is something I tend to avoid. Next year we drive over to Ontario while the Stampede is in full swing. If bull riding and chuck wagon races are what you like then it would be good but there is also a large funfair and lots of other events to see. Just not my cup of tea.

And it will rob you blind. Everything there is assuming you work in oil and burn money for fun.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #16

Don't forget Fernie has an all new RV resort that just opened on the east edge of town. It's beautiful. We watched it being built and are booked there for 2 weeks this summer. It's a great hangout in the summer. If you have a mountain bike it's a great place to challenge yourself in the alpine runs or just on the free town bike paths that are everywhere! Super fun and worth the spot. Seriously, just drive through Banff. There are far better places to go. Leave Banff to the tour bus loads that arrive err every hour. Ugh. Nightmare. Also Banff is so overrun with commerce that you don't see any animals anymore. You want to see animals? Waterton and Fernie are the place to be. We are locals in the area and that's where we go. If you are in the Cranbrook area - go find a hidden gem. Lussier Hot Springs. Real hot springs literally off the cliff of a mountain. Forget Radium. Go to the real spots. Watch out for naked hippies at Lussier.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #17

I agree about K Country. I prefer to camp in K Country. But, when I visit K Country, I spend my days there.

The OP wants to visit Calgary. K Country is a one hour drive each way to Calgary.

In the old days, the parking lot at the football stadium (McMahon) used to be opened for RVs during the Stampede. That would be dry camping on pavement in a limited space. Certainly not as nice as Callaway Park. But, it was very popular because it was so accessible to the Stampede.

If someone wants to camp near a major city with the objective of visiting that city, they have to recognize that the campground choices tend to get limited.

This summer, I'm visiting Ottawa, Montreal, New York and Boston and I'm going through that issue right now. (Last summer I had the same problem in Toronto, and the summer before that in Vancouver.) The rest of the trip will use regular campsites.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #18

I really would avoid Calaway Park and the place near the Canada Olympic Park. Both are within view of a very busy Trans Canada Highway. My personal choice, for ease of access to Calgary, has to be Bow Rivers Edge CG in Cochrane. I would even avoid Springhill RV Park just north of the town. The rock plant close to BRE is now closed so no noise coming from there and the new multi million $ pool opens in May - just across the road from the CG. It's at the end of a dead end road as well - no passing through traffic.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #19

Funny you should mention Bow Rivers Edge. Actually here/there right now as I type. Far enough away from main roads that vehicle noise not an issue. Figured being a long weekend that the arena would be noisy but their entrance is on the far side, no problem. Not a huge CG but clean and all services running even this early. No problem for a newbie like me to get in either. Good access to an off leash area and the river side pathways.
Short drive into northwest Calgary and you can train right down to the Stampede grounds. Not a lot of parking at the stations though.
10% discount for Good Sam.
May already be booked up for Stampede. You'll have to check.
Already booked back in three weeks
Skocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #20

Skocan, try "The Half Hitch Brewery" (on the right as you head towards town after leaving the CG). Nice home brewed beers and the food is very good too. As you can see, it has also just started snowing!

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW