Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

A very long trip for us, advice wanted.

The last four or five years we have just camped in BC, We have never been out to East Canada only ever sat in Toronto and Montreal airports, sad I know, but we only retired to Canada in 2011 if we don't do it this year we probably never will.

Our idea is to leave BC 1st week September, do 1 nighters across the prairies and then spend a full 4-5 weeks touring before the long haul back. We are thinking, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia.

In your opinion what are the "must go to" places and if you can recommend full hook up camping near to them that would be a great help too. Oh they must have good wifi.

W like scenery, historical places, quirky villages, nature and wildlife, not into operas and galleries.

Is 4-5 weeks realistic?

We will be wanting to head back by say 15 October will we encounter snow/ice and if so where to avoid?

Thank you in advance, all advice greatly appreciated.

Nigel and Bev

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

Wow -- your place in Portugal is beautiful!

We live in Northern New Hampshire and have traveled a lot in New Brunswick, Quebec, PEI, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland, but not to camp in many many years. You will be cutting it pretty close weather-wise in October. And trying to find campgrounds that are still open will be problematic, I think. Eastern Canada is just lovely but I'd be concerned with hitting ice and rain. We are further south and pretty much anything after Columbus Day (Oct 12 or so) is iffy. We always laugh that the week before Columbus Day everything is beautiful in NH with foliage and then wham, bang, cold rain storms hit and the leaves are all on the ground and that's when the tourists show up for the long weekend, only to find all the pretty leaves gone.

My next trip to Canada is going to be to The Magdalene Islands (part of Quebec, off the east coast of PEI) but it's going to be in the summer. Don't let me dissuade you -- we have given up on cold weather in general and we take our RV to South Carolina and Texas every winter for six months.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Places that are lovely: Bras D'or Lake, Nova Scotia (bird watching from boats) and Quebec City, every square inch of it! PEI beaches and cliffs, Old Montreal, shoreline drive of New Brunswick. Even Newfoundland if you can live through the rough boat ride to get there. Each province has free guidebooks for tourists, available by mail. Order them all!
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #4

Update. From the comments and PM's thus far we have decided to bring the trip forward 2 weeks so we would leave home middle of August (earlier than this we cannot do), and start the journey back at the beginning of October. This would give us about 5 weeks out east.

It's a matter of narrowing places down.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 05-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

Two places along your route that I would not want to miss are Riding Mountain National Park northwest of Winnepeg and Lake of the Woods. Campgrounds and RV parks in both places are big, abundant, and can handle any size RV. The campground at Wassagaming inside Riding Mountain had long, pull-thru, FHU sites with new restroom-shower buildings.

We were in both areas in mid-September, about the same time you would be there. We found no crowds, even on weekends in the national park, saw abundant wildlife, and had absolutely gorgeous, sunny weather.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Canadian Member

Since you've had feedback and PMs about the time to start your trip (I agree with the advice BTW), you may have already heard this, but if you only have 4-5 weeks you'll be very rushed to see things. There is just soooooo much to see! It'll take almost a week (each way) between BC and Southern/Central Ontario and another 3 days to get to the east coast (each way). That's just the driving time. You'll likely want to stop at some places along the way.

In Ontario, I'd suggest:
- Algonquin Provincial Park
- Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake
- 1000 Islands area (take Hwy 2 and the 1000 Islands Parkway between Kingston and Brockville - take a Boat Tour out of Rockport)
- Old Fort Henry in Kingston if you're into military history
- Ottawa

It sounds like you've already done the tourist thing in Toronto and Montreal.

We did a trip in 2.5 weeks in 2013 from just east of Toronto to Quebec City, NB, PEI and NS and we couldn't stay in one place for more than 2-3 nights. We had a great trip but it was rushed.

There are several threads on here with recommendations for places to visit in the Maritime provinces. On our trip we visited:
- Quebec City (recommend the KOA there - they have a shuttle into the city)
- Hopewell Rocks and Bay of Fundy National Park in NB
- Cavendish and Charlottetown in PEI (take the Confederation Bridge one way and the ferry to NS the other way)
- Cabot Trail, Fortress Louisbourg, Halifax, Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in NS

There's no way you'll be able to hit all of the above in 4-5 weeks from BC but it'll give you some potential places to think about. I can say that #1 on my list would be the Cabot Trail. If you are nervous of heights you can drive it in a clockwise direction to be on the inside. If you can handle a 7 km hike, do the Skyline Trail. If you go into my profile, I've posted an album with pics from our 2013 trip.

Have a great trip!!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Awesome tips guys, thank you. I realise time here is an issue, there are two alternatives, 1 Make the most of what time we have. 2. Put the rig in storage when the weather turns and continue in the Spring 2019, oh boy!

Old 08-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #8

I would add trying to see a Celtic music performance in one of the local bars in Charlottetown or Cheticamp. The Provincial Park just north of Cheticamp is very nice, but I don't remember if they have wifi. It sounds like you wouldn't have time to come around the Gaspe Peninsula, but if you do, taking the boat at Perce Rock to see the gannet colony is fabulous.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #9

Montreal....... I was born there. The city is modern, and the Old Port with cobblestone roads is a must. Also, Mount Royal and the Shrine. Monreal is an island, and you will find campgrounds outside of Montreal (about 20 minutes away)

Quebec........Every time I go there, it reminds me of Paris, France. There's Chateau Frontenac, the Promenade, the Citadel. The city also kept his historical buildings. Not sure if you'll find campgrounds in the city itself.

Nova Scotia......Definitely Cabot Trail. Too bad when we went there four years ago, it rained the whole time. Plenty of campgrounds.

PEI........ahhhhhhhh! Our favorite place, and matter of fact, we will be there tomorrow Saturday the 4th). This will be our third time there and it won't be our last. The most peaceful of all the Canadian provinces. Beautiful beaches and many campgrounds. If your life style is party and big cities......don't go there! If you want peace and quiet, that is the place. We will be staying at New Gl.asgow Highlands Campground.

Have a great trip

Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Another factor with your timing plan. I don't know how you're planning your return, but I've found a lot of the private parks start closing down between mid-september through maybe the thanksgiving weekend (that's columbus day for the americans). You'll find some provincial parks open, but not all.

If you're pre-planning your stops, I hope you'll be alright, but if you're thinking you're gonna wing it, just be prepared to start encountering closed campgrounds on your way home. It's not going to be as easy as just "Hey, let's pull in here and see if they have room"
Old 08-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

I have visited Quebec city and it really is a must.

We stayed at 'Camping Canadien-Américain,(418) 878-4254' witch is closed to the town. If you chose to go there, take highway 40 east from Montreal.

The Quebec city Koa is on the south shore, that means crossing the bridge to go to the city and it has lots of traffic and delays.

Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #12

We really like St Andrews and Campabella Island. These are both on the bay of funny (amazing 20' change between high and low tide). Campabella has President Roosevelt's summer 'bungalow' and a light house that you can walk out to only at low tide! Weather is kind of iffy after September.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

We are also planning a one year trip across Canada and the US. Does anyone have suggestions for a lightweight netted shelter to keep bugs out? Thanks
24theroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions for a lightweight netted shelter to keep bugs out?
I bought one of these on sale in April at Cabelas... I have used it in May, June and July at three different campgrounds for a total of a month.

It is 35# total weight, quick and easy to setup with two people, and does a great job of keeping out bugs, and wind and rain from one direction ( due to two panels can be covered) and very stable. It comes with a useable carry case too.

The negative reviews are from the fact that the fabric is very thin and the roof will drip in an hours long or very heavy rain ( not a quick shower). I fixed this by spraying waterproofing on the roof during a dry day and it no longer leaks at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabelas.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	182652  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #15

I just did a 9 day trip (was going for 14 days but had to shorten) in 39ft rv from NJ to NB- Bay of Fundy/hopewell rocks, NS Cabot Trail look Clockwise, Halifax then home.
It was rushed- covered 2900 miles- but in the end rushed was better then not going.

The Cabot Trail was so beautiful, Just to drive the road was breath taking. We only did small hikes because of time.

Best of luck- Enjoy yourself.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #16

I look forward to hearing about your trip. We are plann8ng a trip next year when we retire. We will leave BC mid May and spend 2 weeks getting to New Brunswick. Then we have 4 months in the Maritime provinces before heading home at the end of September.
Excited but also know it will take planning. 38 foot Georgetown, towing Jeep Cherokee.
SherryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryT View Post
I look forward to hearing about your trip. We are plann8ng a trip next year when we retire. We will leave BC mid May and spend 2 weeks getting to New Brunswick. Then we have 4 months in the Maritime provinces before heading home at the end of September.
Excited but also know it will take planning. 38 foot Georgetown, towing Jeep Cherokee.
So this was my 1st major trip in my MH have all ways had trailers/5t wheel. I did not bring my toad- I regret that I did not.
By the bay of Fundy / Hopewell rocks- I stayed at Home - Ponderosa Pines Campground Beautiful, clean- roomy camp ground (full hook up available)

On our way to the Cabot trail we stopped at Victoria Park in Turo- could spend a full day in this great little park.
Then off the the Cabot Trail and stayed at Hideaway Campground about Mid point on the Cabot trail, Campground sits on a cliff over looking the ocean.

spent a night in Baddeck Cabot trail campground, nice people but to tight for me. Don't miss the Alexander Gram Bell national historic site.

Then it was off to Halifax where we stayed at the Shubie campground.Small campground with LOW wires, took off my tv antenna here. We took a cab to the ferry to downtown Halifax. Great city so much to see.

I will go back someday. I will stay at Hideaway Campground for a week and bring my car and explore and hike more.

The Cabot Trail can be a challenge to drive. Large but steep. As are many roads that are not major highways. Many are 10' lanes with NO shoulder. This made for some high intensity driving. But I was in a 39' mh.

Enjoy your trip
Old 08-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #18

If you're going to PEI check and see if Twin Shores in Darnley are open when you are going to be there. Probably the best park on PEI.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #19

SherryT when you plan your retirement tri next year, be sure to include Newfoundland , we have been there 8 of the last 9 years and next year we are taking our 2 10 year old grandchildren with us. the younger ones will have to wait till another year.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #20

Newfoundland is defiantly on the list. We have been there and loved it. I think we will do 3 weeks, maybe taking the short ferry over and the long ferry back.
Just searching out campgrounds��
SherryT is offline   Reply With Quote