Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #21

Trying to talk the wife into making the trip, she would rather take a cruise. Wish me luck....
Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #22

On our 2016 trip to Alaska, Hyder was our 1st stop. We stayed in Stuart BC for 2 nights . We ate lunch at "The Bus", drove up to the glacier in thick fog and saw nothing, stopped at Fish Creek and watched a bear catch salmon, visited the port area and that was it. we spent the next 6 weeks travelling the rest of Alaska, BC,Yukon and Alberta and it was worth every dollar we spent and we would return in a heartbeat. Don't think Hyder is Alaska... it's just the teaser of better things to come!!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #23

Does wife help you drive?
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #24

Blessed to have made the great Alaska trip in 2013 and repeated 2018. Both trips visited Hyder/Steward; last year the Bears didn't appear till very last.. do not count on it.. we love the little town but really not much at all. If at all possible recommend you visit the mainland to really see Alaska. We dive to Skagway and also Valdez.. but made most all the loops. It's beautiful and we never made reservations except for the Holidays and made them the week prior. Banff to Jasper is Beautiful.. and spending time there would be a great vacation.. but you'll always regret if just visit Hyder to say you visited Alaska. Safe Travels and enjoy the trip you able to do.
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #25

One more thing.. if able go early in am.. we get on the road by 8am and the first couple hours very few people and your more likely to see the wildlife along the road.. Bears, Moose, and the like.. in addition to the views. We seen this at Banff (travel the 1A road Banff to Lake Louise) and then all along the Alaska Hwy.. more so north of Whitehorse. Last> Get a copy of the MILEPOST MAGAZINE.. it has all info for all the highways and includes NW Canada. (We wish we had a guide like that for all USA!!)
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #26

recently one of the RV 'magazines' had an article boasting about the beautiful trip to Alaska, supposedly by an avid RV couple/family...

within a few paragraphs, though, you quickly realize that these folks had almost NOTHING to do with 'RVing to Alaska'... as one of the pictures shows Ketchikan, a beautiful city on the water, which is only a CRUISE port - there are no roads leading there from the mainland! These folks were 'cruising' thru Alaska, not really 'RVing' to it!

some 'highlights':

"Upon our arrival in Anchorage, ABC Motorhome Rentals picked us up at the airport..."

a few days later..
"We were off to the Hotel Captain Cook for the first night of our land tour with Princess Cruises..."

I guess everyone can have their 'own' view of an RVing adventure to Alaska, and to each his/her own, but I would certainly agree that it's hard to say you've RV'd to Alaska if you 'flew' into Anchorage, had a few days in a rented RV, while only parked at an rv park, and then 'cruised' your adventure the rest of the time... : /

You would think that the magazine, with 'motorhome' in it's name, would actually track the travels of avid 'motorhoming' travels to Alaska.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheelers View Post
Trying to talk the wife into making the trip, she would rather take a cruise. Wish me luck....
We spent the summer in Alaska in 2018 and are going again this summer. Feel free to have your wife contact me. I can give her a woman’s point of view. We drive from Houston area pulling a travel trailer. So many beautiful things to see!
Lasegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #28

Quote:

Check out the Alaska State Ferry. You go up the inside passage. Then pick your spot to get off and continue on to the interior of Alaska. Drive back home. Best of both worlds and less drive time.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #29

Quote:
I offered my wife a 3 week Alaska Cruise for our 50th Anniversary. She wouldn’t have it. Make a plan and let’s go CAMPING for a whole summer through Canada and Alaska, which is what we did. When I came home, I was diagnosed with what will be a terminal illness. I can only think that If I hadn’t gone along with this smart lady, I would have missed the highlight of my life and would be sitting here lamenting what I missed. We get so few chances and I am envious of those who have an opportunity but won’t take it. I hope your wife will change her mind and not spoil YOUR opportunity.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
We’ve done this this twice from White Rock BC just north of Seattle. You really can’t compare the Denali experience with the Stewart Hyderabad experience. Two totally different things. We did the Alaska Hwy north to Tok over to Anchorage, a week on the Kenai Peninsula, North through Denali all the way to Deadhorse on the Arctic Ocean , back through Fairbanks,Dawson City and then back out Hwy 37 via Hyderabad/ Stewart and back home the first trip. The second one we excluded the Kenai , but went down to Valdez, did the Demoster Hwy to Inuvik and back on our return through Dawson and again did 37 south. We plan on 2 months minimum to do these trips from where we are located.
Filterman,
I'm intrigued by the idea of driving to Inuvik with the new road, but want to know about road conditions. I've got a diesel pusher motorhome with low ground clearance. Would I have problems with rough roads? Are there potholes that are hard to see? What kind of speed could you hold?

Finally, do you have a trailer with high ground clearance, or a camper?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #31

We made the trip to Alaska in 2014. We traveled the same route several others have mentioned: Shelby, MT to Calgary to Banff and Jasper, then up to Grande Prairie and Dawson Creek, picking up the Alaska Highway there. My wife's favorite part by far was the abundance of wildlife. On one day alone, we saw 10 black bears, including one sow with three cubs. We saw Brown bears in several places, coming within a few feet of our pickup before scampering across the highway. Moose, stone sheep, mountain goats, all present in abundance. I don't recall a single day where we didn't see some kind of wildlife.

While in Alaska, we spent two days in Fairbanks, two days in Denali, three days in Seward, and the rest of the time in the Wasilla-Palmer-Anchorage area. We were there for about two weeks. (And attended my youngest daughter's wedding.)

We returned via the Cassiar HIghway, and spent a night in Stewart, BC. The visit to Hyder was a bust. It's really a waste of time, except to say you drove there. One interesting sidenote: It's the only time I've ever entered the U.S. (going from Stewart to Hyder) without having to show a passport. in 2014, there was no customs or immigration to the U.S. there at the border crossing. Returning to Stewart requires a passport! There were no bears or salmon at the creek, but the drive up to the glacier was thrilling. My wife was terrified coming down. Another highlight of the trip were the days spent driving through the Okanagan Valley in southern BC. All in all, about 11,500 miles from Oklahoma and back. Six weeks on the road and we'd do it again for sure.
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #32

If you drive that far see it all

We went to Alaska in 2004, from May 20 - Sep. 15. We crossed back and forth several times from Homer to Fairbanks to Skagway to Dawson Creek to Tok to Haines to Chicken to Valdez to Anchorage, etc.. Flow up to Barrow for a day, and returned via three weeks on the inland ferry with a week in Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan. Got off the ferry in Point Rupert which is not far from Hyder.

If you are going to drive that far and have the time, see it all. You will not regret the experience or the costs because most likely you will only make that journey of a life time once. We had planned to return with our grandson (16 & 13) in the next year or so, but age is slowing us down and that may not happen.

There is so much to see and do along the way in BC and the Yukon, and there is even more in Alaska itself. We saw all kinds of wild life everywhere. Flew in three passengers planes over tree tops and a sea plane to search for grizzly bears, fished for salmon and halibut, took ferries here and there, drove in a tunnel made for trains, got caught in a forest fire, saw the annual duckee race in Fairbanks, salmon fish wheels in the middle of nowhere and so.

These are just some of highlights of our trip. If you, do it all, Bob and Joanne
Bojomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #33

shorter route to / from Alaska

Consider the ferry one way from Seattle to Whittier
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #34

We visited Hyder a couple of years ago, while visiting a friend in Terrace BC. We weren't RVing though - flew from Vancouver to Terrace. Agree with most of the comments. Not much to see, and if you don't time it right, everything's closed. I couldn't even get "Hyderized".

https://www.lastfrontierheli.com/news/gettin-hyderized-in-alaska/

But I did get to put that Alaska notch in my belt, and did see one lazy grizzly, lolling on the bank of the river. I'd love to go back to see more of it though.

If you do go to Hyder, be sure to check out the Nisga'a Lava Fields on your way. A truly incredible landscape, and they do offer a small, unserviced campground.

http://www.nisgaanation.ca/lava-bed-park
Stotes57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #35
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojomo View Post
We went to Alaska in 2004, from May 20 - Sep. 15. We crossed back and forth several times from Homer to Fairbanks to Skagway to Dawson Creek to Tok to Haines to Chicken to Valdez to Anchorage, etc.. Flow up to Barrow for a day, and returned via three weeks on the inland ferry with a week in Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan. Got off the ferry in Point Rupert which is not far from Hyder.

If you are going to drive that far and have the time, see it all. You will not regret the experience or the costs because most likely you will only make that journey of a life time once. We had planned to return with our grandson (16 & 13) in the next year or so, but age is slowing us down and that may not happen.

There is so much to see and do along the way in BC and the Yukon, and there is even more in Alaska itself. We saw all kinds of wild life everywhere. Flew in three passengers planes over tree tops and a sea plane to search for grizzly bears, fished for salmon and halibut, took ferries here and there, drove in a tunnel made for trains, got caught in a forest fire, saw the annual duckee race in Fairbanks, salmon fish wheels in the middle of nowhere and so.

These are just some of highlights of our trip. If you, do it all, Bob and Joanne
Yeah, if you've got a fist full of dollars, that's the way to do it. Care to share with us how much the entire trip cost?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #36

If you were to decide to go to Hyder instead of seeing the interior, you can say you were in Alaska, but that is about all. Like some of the others mentioned, there isn't much to do and see in Hyder. The attractions there do not compare with what is at Denali and the interior and they offer a much better view of Alaska. I didn't see your spread sheet, but suggest taking the Alaska Hwy N and when you get to AK, stop for a lunch at Fast Eddy's in Tok, followed by a stop in Delta Jct, the interior agriculture area of Ak. Driver on to Fairbanks and out to Chena Hot Springs. The ice hotel will be gone, but it is a nice historical place. Head south out of Fairbanks on the Parks Hwy (Hwy 3) to Denal NP. Take a Denali tour and see the "Great One" up close. Continue south on the Parks, stopping at the N and S overlooks in Denali State park which are good vistas and photo opportunities. Continue south, waving to us as you go through Trapper Creek (MP115) (don't blink) and maybe we'll see you. Continue 15 miles to the "Y" (Talkeetna Junction) and take the 10 mile trip S to see Talkeetna, another great historical town with lots of visitors. If you have a little time, stop at the AK RR station and inquire about the Hurricane Turn train ride. It is worth the time, but there goes another day. Then drive on south to Wasilla, (and Anchorage if you so desire). Head west on the Glenn Hwy. and if there is time, take a side trip from Glennallen south to Copper Center. Head north on the Richardson to the Tok cut-off (Hwy 1), hitting the AlCan when you get to Tok. Continue south and then take the Cassiar Hwy (BC Hey 37) Jct S about 13 miles before you get to Watson Lake, BC. A nice KOA campground a few miles before the Jct. The Cassiar offers beautiful views, as does the Alaska Hwy. When you get near the end, you can take a rt at the Meziaden Jct if you still have a hankoring to see Stewart/Hyder 40 miles down the Rd. Then on to Prince George and home to the lower 48. We do the trip south in the spring and north in the fall and enjoy it every time. Hope you enjoy your trip. For most it it s trip of a life time, so don't be in to big a hurry to cut it short.
oldforester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #37

You're constructing a computer "model" for a road trip to Alaska? Definitely go to Hyder and get "Hyderized" at the Last Chance Saloon (drink a shot of 100 proof). Then head back south and tell all your Texas buddies that you've been to Alaska. Avoid the hassle of actually visiting AK which, if we wanted to, would cut ourselves in half and make TX the THIRD largest state

Alaskans have a tradition of "messing" with "outsiders" who take themselves too seriously.
chumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 AM   #38

I plan to do the RV trip to AK after retirement. I did the cruise and loved it so we will go back and the RV is the way we will do it. My father in law had a great point every time I started to say no because of money...you spent a lot to get here. Consider having to come back to see more. You may as well see it all now if you can...even then you wont see half.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #39

Hyderabad?

Why would you drive from Texas and only go to Hyder. Another 750 miles and your in Alaska and not much compares to Dinali. Valdez is nice with lots of glaciers. South to Homer is nice.
gfdrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #40

cost of ferry option??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson View Post
Consider the ferry one way from Seattle to Whittier
I did a quick sanity check. One-way fare from Bellingham (just north of Seattle) for 2 senior citizens and a 20 ft pickup truck with camper - a mere $3,800 dollars for the 4 day trip. OUCH!!
vineyardmh is offline   Reply With Quote