Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #1

Alaska vets: Routes and destinations?

DW and I drove up Alcan and down Cassiar Hwy in 1986. Drove family car, stayed in hotels. I think we only made it to Skagway then took the ferry to Juneau to visit my brother. It’s all a blur now, due to loss of hair allowing brain cells to escape….So this time we’re glamping in our 25’ Forester MBS motor home, towing our Suzuki Sidekick 4 x 4.

We live in Oregon but DW reads romance novels and plays Candy Crush while I drive. Doesn’t pay much attention. Usually sits in the back so she probably wouldn’t notice if I took a detour to say, Montana, until it was too late. “Are you ok back there?” “I’m fine, but why did I just see a sign that says Banff – 50 km?” “Uhhh, I knew I should have took that left turn in Albuquerque?”

What this means is that I’m soliciting suggestions for routes, and especially for destinations and or particularly scenic roads in BC, Yukon, and AK. I should mention that we almost always boondock, can’t see paying $50 every night when we can do it for free, or cheap in a public campground like BLM, etc.

Also, how about cell phone coverage while in Canada? Did you temporarily swap out the SIM card? Did you buy a Canadian plan from your provider?

We’d be thankful for any advice. Nothing worse than returning from an epic trip and someone says “Well did you stop at such and such place? No? Boy, you missed the best part!”
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #2

I would start with the "mile post" book.
Many of the rest stops had a no camping sign in the Yukon.
We did enjoy the flight to Pt Barrow, when at Fairbanks.
I thought the RV parks were better than any of the hotels.

----------
Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
FR251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Recorded our 2013 trip in this thread, around posts 22, 23 and 24:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-39732-3.html

We drove from the SF Bay Area, went to Hope BC, then across to Prince Rupert where we put our Solera on a ferry. Ferry to Haines with an overnight stop in Petersburg. Drove up to Haines Junction where we joined the Alcan, Alcan to Tok. South past Wrangel St Elias NP, Kenai and boat tour of Kenai Fjords NP (great tour!), then up to Denali State Park (very nice and uncrowded), Denali NP, across past Fairbanks to Tok, Alcan back. Great trip (late May to early June).
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

I did the trip last summer. Crossed at Sweetgrass/Couts. Cut over west at Calgary and took highway 22 all the way on up. Nice 2 lane and pretty country. Fuel and food prices skyrocket once you are out of Alberta and Watson Lake through Whitehorse will cost a bit.
I have Verizon and signed up for the Canadian plan which worked out OK.
There are a lot of Provincial parks along the way so research those.
Fort St. John to Fort Nelson is a long haul with fuel at a couple spots at Pink Mountain and Bucking Horse River.
Fort Nelson to Watson Lake is long as well with fuel available at Toad River. $$$$
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

I started out using my credit card but I noticed that the fuel stations were placing to big of a hold on the card. I went to a bank today in Dawson Creek BC and yes it's Saturday, surprise surprise and traded for more Canadian money
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

Road has been pretty good so far in Alaska, well in Canada. A few bad spots and did I say dirt, well dust, it gets everywhere. Cedar Creek sure is dirty
Old 05-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #7

Took the trip in 2014. Crossed the border from Montana then went to Canadian Rockies then to Dawson Creek to pick up the Alaska Highway. Lots to see along the way so if you have the time, take your time. Came back via the Cassiar Highway for a change of scenery. Get a Milepost book. It describes all the major roads in Canada and Alaska by mile marker. Worth every penny. Also recommend the Alaska Toursaver book. It is full of mostly 2 for 1 coupons for all kinds of stuff. It costs about $100 but we saved well over $1000 using the coupons.

Highlight of our trip was flightseeing trip around Mt McKinley with landing on Ruth Glacier.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #8

So far lots of bear but no moose yet. We have met a lot of nice people. We plan on going back the Cassiar Highway and down the Canadian rockys. Going to stop at Delta Junction, I was stationed at FT Greely. Then on to Fairbanks and of course the North Pole. I want to ride a little ways on the Dalton Highway. Oh yes I plan on taking a day trip to Chicken Alaska and top of the world Highway
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #9

how far between gas stations and do most have diesel?
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:58 AM   #10

Did Alcan in 2013. Highlights were; 1. drive from Haines Junction to Haines, saw grizzly's at state park in Haines, did tour of Dakota Fred's mine from Gold Rush TV show which may not be available now since he has not been on the show the last couple years. 2. Halibut fishing out of Homer AK. 3. Gold panning at Chicken campground. 4. Glacier tour out of Whitter, AK, tunnel was interesting. 5. Drive to Salmon Glacier from Stewart BC/Homer, AK.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939MOD_edited-1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	138979  

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat48 View Post
how far between gas stations and do most have diesel?

All the stations I saw had diesel. The price went from .99 cents a liter to $1.22 a liter in Canada. But diesel was high no matter where you were at, at Chicken AK diesel was $3.39 a gallon and gas was $3.69 a gallon. I have paid so far from $2.84 to $2.99 a gallon for diesel
Old 08-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #12

When I was in Fairbanks in June, diesel was 14 cents a gallon cheaper than regular. Don't see that too often in the Lower 48!

Camping in rest areas/roadside pullouts is legal on Alaska highways unless posted. Water and a free dump are available at most Fred Meyers (and many allow dry camping in the parking lot as well). Many gas stations allow you to dump free with fill-up and I found one in Tok that had a free, very high-pressure car/RV wash with a fill-up. I desperately needed it after long, gravel, construction zones west of Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek.

The Walmart/Canadian Tire parking lot in Whitehorse is normally packed with campers. And the city campground sites in Seward are well worth the moderate cost for the view and convenience.

Finally, to reiterate another post, get an Alaska Toursaver at a Safeway or Fred Meyer (or order online)! It could save you 100s of dollars depending on what you are planning to do in Alaska.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote