Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #21

Travel

Hey, that is really fantastic, we plan to be in a campsite come 4:00 pm everyday, and spend at least two or more days at each stop. Since we are in no big hurry except to see everything, this will be perfect. Certainly thank you for these little tips, so nice having un-seen friends, maybe one day we can repay the favor, sure we will cross paths somewhere:
Blessings,
LKicklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnHigh View Post
Hey LKicklight, I wanted to let you know about a travel restriction you'll need to keep in mind when you travel west from Calgary.

Now, it may sound like a punchline, but we love our wildlife so much up here that we close down certain roads through common wildlife corridors at critical times of the season.

One such closure is occurring each night from March through to June 25th, just outside of Banff on a beautiful stretch of road, the Bow Valley parkway.

Here's an article with the details:

Parks Canada to close Bow Valley Parkway at night in bid to protect wildlife

...An overnight traffic ban on the Bow Valley Parkway goes into effect this weekend as part of an effort by Banff National Park to protect wildlife such as wolves and grizzly bears along the scenic roadway.
Starting Saturday until June 25, Parks Canada will close a 17-kilometre stretch of the road between Johnston Canyon and where it meets the Trans-Canada Highway just west of the Banff townsite each night from 8 p.m. until 8 a.m.
“It is mandatory,” said Dave McDonough, superintendent of Banff National Park.
The plan, which was developed after extensive consultation with scientists, conservation organizations and area businesses, will give animals free rein to use the area and feed in the critical spring months following winter hibernation...

Now, I'd definitely recommend making sure you drive through there in the day and not go around it, which is your other option. But I thought you should be aware for planning your travels.

Just incase you think it's just Canadians being Canadian, you're probably right. But then again, the picture below, which has made it's way around the web, was taken not far up the road from where this closure is.

Safe travels!
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #22

We are also planning a trip to Alaska this year. My father was in the Corps of Engineers during WWII and spent a very cold and snowy winter helping build the AlCan Hwy. I am his only child and I have no children. Are there museums or libraries that would be interested in snapshots and other items from his time on this project?

Also what about medical care? My DH has bad knees and my biggest concern is that he will have some sort of crisis and I will have to deal with him, the dog, the TT, and the truck on my own.

We are tentatively planning to leave from the FROG rally in Goshen in early August. Several people we have talked to raise their eyebrows as if we are leaving too late. We don't have to be home by a certain time. Is there a town we need to be south of by the end of September?

The information already posted here has been very helpful. Thanks for sharing. Will we see any of you in Goshen?
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #23

Alaska

Yep, leaving from Goshen in August may be a little late in the year for anything in Alaska. We are heading out May 9th and spending all the time we need to get out of the country before winter. There is so much to see and so much to do, so having at 100 days to drive and see not only the sites and sounds of Alaska, but Canada as well. Some of the history of that area is of real interest to us also. Thank the good Lord, we have been able to buddy up with another couple from the south who has been before and knows all the do's and dont's. Good Luck in planning your trip, if I can be of any assistance, just let us know:
kickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Steph View Post
We are also planning a trip to Alaska this year. My father was in the Corps of Engineers during WWII and spent a very cold and snowy winter helping build the AlCan Hwy. I am his only child and I have no children. Are there museums or libraries that would be interested in snapshots and other items from his time on this project?

Also what about medical care? My DH has bad knees and my biggest concern is that he will have some sort of crisis and I will have to deal with him, the dog, the TT, and the truck on my own.

We are tentatively planning to leave from the FROG rally in Goshen in early August. Several people we have talked to raise their eyebrows as if we are leaving too late. We don't have to be home by a certain time. Is there a town we need to be south of by the end of September?

The information already posted here has been very helpful. Thanks for sharing. Will we see any of you in Goshen?
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Steph View Post

My suggestion would be to do the trip before the Goshen rally, we did it in May/June 2010, awesome trip, will do it again, safe travels.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #25

Alaska

My suggestion also, do it before Goshen, we are looking at doing just that if at all possible:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
My suggestion would be to do the trip before the Goshen rally, we did it in May/June 2010, awesome trip, will do it again, safe travels.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #26

Two Weeks and Counting

We are down to the, you forgot what stage in getting ready for our trip. Downsizing from the house RV has been the tough part, you never know how much stuff you have until you have to move it. Big issue was laundry, had to purchase another washer and dryer, the old set went with house, then the clothes issue, what to do with so much. About got it all figured out, we can do with less....May 9th we are out of here...
1985 S-10 One Owner:

Tags
canada