Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Alaska via Canada

Everyday now we are doing more and more to prepare for our trip across the USA into Canada with out destination in North West Alaska. As we have never ventured out like this before, we checking our plans twice along with our equipment just to make sure. Can anyone offer us some good advice to use when entering into and out of Canada?
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Everyday now we are doing more and more to prepare for our trip across the USA into Canada with out destination in North West Alaska. As we have never ventured out like this before, we checking our plans twice along with our equipment just to make sure. Can anyone offer us some good advice to use when entering into and out of Canada?
Kicklight, We are just starting to plan our 2015 trip to Alaska as well. you might take a look at the attached link for some info. These folk seem very knowledgeable and have a video tape available. We have attended one of their seminars on an Alaskan trip, it was very informative. It's possible they will have a seminar near you in the near future... hope this helps.

RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

Rick
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

We drove from CO to AK in 2011. Great trip. First of all get a copy of Mile Post, it is a great guide for driving the ALCAN highway with distances between towns, what to see along the way, what campgrounds are along the way etc. Second, plan to take your time, we where gone for 14 weeks, drove a day or two, stayed a day or two all the way up. Spent 6 weeks in AK and used our toad to see the sights.

You will hear people about taking precautuons about the road, just plan for average of 45 mph, some places a bit quicker. Our motorhome did not get one rock chip on it and was a new MH, our toad got some chips, but mostly from our MH so you might want to cover the front of the toad if your taking one.

We made no resverations at any RV park, and there was always a place to park. Just that most RV parks do not open till end of May and start closing down mid Sept. Let us know what other questions you might have. Happy Holidays.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

Extra's

WE are reading everything you send us, twice, we do so appreciate your information that you share with us. This is our very first LONGGGGGGG, trip I mean more than 700 miles away from home.
One concern I had was, extra GAS for our 2500HD tow truck. We have tried to locate metal P Can that holds 5 gallons, figure that is all we might need. Your thoughts on that? Also, we prepare almost 100% of our meals and do not eat out very much, with that said, most RV's have a limited amount of Frig. Room, are there groceries stores close enough for us not to worry.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
We drove from CO to AK in 2011. Great trip. First of all get a copy of Mile Post, it is a great guide for driving the ALCAN highway with distances between towns, what to see along the way, what campgrounds are along the way etc. Second, plan to take your time, we where gone for 14 weeks, drove a day or two, stayed a day or two all the way up. Spent 6 weeks in AK and used our toad to see the sights.

You will hear people about taking precautuons about the road, just plan for average of 45 mph, some places a bit quicker. Our motorhome did not get one rock chip on it and was a new MH, our toad got some chips, but mostly from our MH so you might want to cover the front of the toad if your taking one.

We made no resverations at any RV park, and there was always a place to park. Just that most RV parks do not open till end of May and start closing down mid Sept. Let us know what other questions you might have. Happy Holidays.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

There is stores along the way, and you can get milk etc. almost anywhere along the way. We took plenty of staples with us, i.e. Flour, sugar, cereral, canned goods so we didn't have to pay the high prices. Example was a gallon of milk in Whitehorse was $8. We restocked in AK for the trip back. It was a trip well worth it, between me the dw we took over 1500 pictures along the way.

As to gas, get a copy of Milepost and you can see the distance between gas stations, our MH holds 100 gallons and gets close to 10mpg so We didn't worry about it since we can go almost 1000 miles (really pushing the limit) think you willfind one about every 200 miles or so.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

We spent almost six weeks this summer traveling to Alaska from the midwest. Entering Canada is no big deal. Have a passport or passport card. Contact your credit card company that you will traveling to Canada. If you don't, your credit card probably won't be accepted. I would recommend an extra spare tire from your rig, including your trailer, if pulling one. You may be 150-200 miles from tire repair. We found a guy on the Dempster Highway without any spare. Spotted his car in Dawson at a tire shop 2 days later. Get an insurance card from your auto insurance agent. The Milepost book will tell you anything you need to know ie. road conditions, fuel, groceries, campgrounds. "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping" by Church and Church is an excellent resource on campgrounds in Alaska, Yukon and northern BC. Groceries are easily available--more expensive the farther away from Anchorage and Fairbanks. Beer prices are crazy high in Canada. Be prepared for mosquitoes like you have never, ever experienced! Road conditions are relative to what you are used to. We meet a couple that complained about a road they had traveled. We found out they traveled it the same day we did. I wish our roads were that good around here. They had hardly ever traveled on anything but paved roads. Take your time and don't rush. We are going back again!
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #7

Gas

That was one of the issues I have in that our 2500HD towing our 5th Wheel Crusader 270RET averages around 10/12 mpg, holds 26 gallons, with that said, when we've gone say 275 miles, we start looking for fill-up. Almost wish I could get a saddle tank with at least an additional ten gallons, just in case: If a station pops up every 200 miles are so, and I have five gallon pee can in reserve, that would give us a little security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
There is stores along the way, and you can get milk etc. almost anywhere along the way. We took plenty of staples with us, i.e. Flour, sugar, cereral, canned goods so we didn't have to pay the high prices. Example was a gallon of milk in Whitehorse was $8. We restocked in AK for the trip back. It was a trip well worth it, between me the dw we took over 1500 pictures along the way.

As to gas, get a copy of Milepost and you can see the distance between gas stations, our MH holds 100 gallons and gets close to 10mpg so We didn't worry about it since we can go almost 1000 miles (really pushing the limit) think you willfind one about every 200 miles or so.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Kicker, you might wantto consider taking a newer Durmax from the Dealership if there is one available. 36 gal. fuel tank I think ??
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

Smittybilt Part s/b2798 - Jerry Gas Can Holder

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.a...DW&w=400&h=400

I suggest buying two.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

using the Milepost is great advice. we live here and still use it. You shouldn't need the gas can, but you need to plan your gas stops. We drove the Alaska Highway once by motorcycle with a 180 mile range. Now with the MH we can bypass the remote gas stations and only fill up in the larger towns, where the gas is cheaper. Sometimes a little extra range can save a lot per gallon. We drive from Fairbanks to Valdez to go fishing. I could easily make it to Valdez on a tank of gas, but we usually stop after 100 miles and fill up in Delta Junction and save $.30/gallon. We can make it to Valdez and back to Delta on a tank.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #11

Gas

Just so happens we have a 350 Ford that was just traded in, would consider that once they get it cranked up again. One of the turbo's went south, no big deal. We do have a 3500HD GMC, that might be a good alternative, plus it is a dually to match: We shall see when time gets closer, may get the Ford running again by then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Kicker, you might wantto consider taking a newer Durmax from the Dealership if there is one available. 36 gal. fuel tank I think ??
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #12

Canada/Alaska Route

Think we have layed out out route with a couple of mods that make it flexible. Starting out at Great Fall, then up through Calgary, on to Bnaff, Jasper, Hinto, Grande Cache, Grand Prairie, Dawson Creek, to Whitehorse, the up to Fairbanks, that route seems to have all we need at the moment:
Thanks for your help, now working on Pass Ports etc;
kickster and DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcampr View Post
using the Milepost is great advice. we live here and still use it. You shouldn't need the gas can, but you need to plan your gas stops. We drove the Alaska Highway once by motorcycle with a 180 mile range. Now with the MH we can bypass the remote gas stations and only fill up in the larger towns, where the gas is cheaper. Sometimes a little extra range can save a lot per gallon. We drive from Fairbanks to Valdez to go fishing. I could easily make it to Valdez on a tank of gas, but we usually stop after 100 miles and fill up in Delta Junction and save $.30/gallon. We can make it to Valdez and back to Delta on a tank.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 02-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
Working the Life

Very happy to hear that you are planning a trip up the Alcan. You won't regret it. We lived in Fort Nelson BC, Mile 300 of the Alcan for 6 years and made the journey up into Alaska a few times. We still believe that the Alcan highway has some of the most beautiful scenery there is. Be certain to include Dawson City as a stop point as it was the centre of the Klondike Gold Rush and has some very interesting history to experience.
If you haven't upgraded your truck to an Extra Large Fuel cell it is worth the investment. Check out Titan Tanks.
Key points to stop at on your trip are: Fort Nelson, BC (Check out the Museum), Fort Liard, BC ( Cjeck out the natural Hot Springs), Watson Lake, Yukon (check out the Licence Plate Forrest and Northern Lights Gallery), White Horse, Yukon (check out the Paddle wheeler Museum), Skagway, Alaska (Check out the whole town it's wonderful) A must do is Dawson City, Yukon ( This is a National Historic site and is fabulous)
As everyone else has mentioned the Mile Post is a must have when travelling the Alcan. A lot of work goes into this publication and it is a valuable resource for places to stop and see.

Best of luck on your trip. Don't stress out over it, Canada is not the barren waste land that so many think it is. Yes, we are less populated and our towns and cities can be a fair distance apart but we manage to get by.

I hope you enjoy our wonderful county as you pass through and please buy your goods at the towns along the way to help support the communities. They depend on the business that tourists bring. If you don't support them they won't be there in the future.

KD

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #14

Thanks for taking the time to send us so much information, I know how long this must have taken and we do appreciate your thoughts. The gas thing was kind of one our concerns as the 2500HD Gas 6.0 only gets around 12 m.p.g. on a good day. I have purchased two P-Cans that hold 5 gallons each, figure before we get down to a quarter of a tank, we would pull in to a gas station, if for some reason we have to run past that point, then out come the P-cans. Several web sites we have visited, especially one in particular really went into detail for several cities and what sites were outstanding at there locations. Since we are taking our time, and another couple who is taking the same trip at the same time have been here before, so we have a good back-up for both of us.
Right now we are packing up our house as it sold in three days after being listed here in Dallas, GA. Our place at Talking Rock Creek RV Resort is the home of our Sunnybrook TT in which we plan to live between trips. Out Crusader is parked right next door to the Sunnybrook, she has a good ADCO Cover on her right now for the winter, soon to come off the first of April to get things tuned up and ready to do.
Looking forward to this trip as it is the dream of a lifetime for my bride. The only problem we are having concerns our adopted cat. We considered taking him with us, but so far he has proven not to be a good traveling companion. We are searching for a good home for him, he is a good cat, but not a good camper. He still likes to go and come at will around here.
Thanks again for you suggestions and pointers, we shall use them extensively: Kickster
Cans..
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #15

Please don't take a gun, of any kind to Canada. Have a great trip.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #16

Consider taking the Cassiar Highway on the way home. Take the side trip to Hyder, Alaska. If during the salmon run, late July-early August, you can visit the bear viewing area. If not, the trip past the viewing area to the Salmon Glacier is well worth the time. It was a highlight of our trip. There is a nice little campground in Stewart, BC which is right next to Hyder.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #17

I assume the Cassiar Highway is on the west coast of Canada. That sounds like a great side trip. Thanks for the info.
jchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #18

Sites

Plan to see as many of the sites as recommended by our friends here on the Forum, this is a once in a lifetime adventure, do not want to miss anything..thanks for the tip...:-}
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchild View Post
I assume the Cassiar Highway is on the west coast of Canada. That sounds like a great side trip. Thanks for the info.
It is Highway 37. It intersects with the Alaska Highway about 13 miles west of Watson Lake, Yukon.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #20

Hey LKicklight, I wanted to let you know about a travel restriction you'll need to keep in mind when you travel west from Calgary.

Now, it may sound like a punchline, but we love our wildlife so much up here that we close down certain roads through common wildlife corridors at critical times of the season.

One such closure is occurring each night from March through to June 25th, just outside of Banff on a beautiful stretch of road, the Bow Valley parkway.

Here's an article with the details:

Parks Canada to close Bow Valley Parkway at night in bid to protect wildlife

...An overnight traffic ban on the Bow Valley Parkway goes into effect this weekend as part of an effort by Banff National Park to protect wildlife such as wolves and grizzly bears along the scenic roadway.
Starting Saturday until June 25, Parks Canada will close a 17-kilometre stretch of the road between Johnston Canyon and where it meets the Trans-Canada Highway just west of the Banff townsite each night from 8 p.m. until 8 a.m.
“It is mandatory,” said Dave McDonough, superintendent of Banff National Park.
The plan, which was developed after extensive consultation with scientists, conservation organizations and area businesses, will give animals free rein to use the area and feed in the critical spring months following winter hibernation...

Now, I'd definitely recommend making sure you drive through there in the day and not go around it, which is your other option. But I thought you should be aware for planning your travels.

Just incase you think it's just Canadians being Canadian, you're probably right. But then again, the picture below, which has made it's way around the web, was taken not far up the road from where this closure is.

Safe travels!
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada