Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Any problems going to Canada? Or coming back?

Planning a trip north this summer. Possibly heading up to PEI, but at least hitting the 1000 islands area. I've viewed a number of threads regarding where to camp on this trip, and spoken with friends who have been there and I'm very excited.
However, it's been a while since I crossed the border- since before there was a requirement to carry a passport- and I've never done it with a camper. I also have a guilty face.
What level of Hell am I in for?
House97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #2

Bring lots of money. Gas ain't cheap. Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues at the border, unless you are guilty.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Director, FROG

If you go to the FROG website -- www.forestriverfrog.com -- and click on "Useful Links" you'll find links to both the U.S Customs and Border Protection and the Canadian Border Services Agency websites. They give you information that you might find valuable in crossing in both directions.

Have a great trip!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We had no issues whatsoever. Passports are key of course. Also, if you bring pets, make sure to have current veterinary papers with their immunization records. The gas comment is right on the money. OMG it is expensive!!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
If you go to the FROG website -- www.forestriverfrog.com -- and click on "Useful Links" you'll find links to both the U.S Customs and Border Protection and the Canadian Border Services Agency websites. They give you information that you might find valuable in crossing in both directions.

Have a great trip!
This is probablly your best advice. However, assuming that you are a U.S. citizen, you won't require a passport as other forms of I.D. will suffice, BUT if you and your fellow travellers do have passports, bring them. It will simplify matters greatly. Oh, and leave your guns at home - big hassle if you want to bring them.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

And more importantly, you can only bring 40 oz liquor or 24 beer. Forget the beer, our beer is better in Canada anyway. Just bring me a 40 oz of rum (dark)
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

Is your F250 a Diesel?...currently here in N.S. 4 litres (one US gallon)is $5.56 Canadian dollars....with current exchange rates ...you'll get a bargain at $5.50 USD
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4 SXT 6.4l Hemi 3:73's
Former Michelin Tire Guy
kevnval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #8

If you are coming to the 1000 Island region I will be glad to help you with any info that you may require. We have a summer site at the Mallorytown 1000 Islands KOA.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #9

Anyone crossing the border needs a passport now, especially if you want to get back into the U.S.. Other than that just tell the truth, be co-operative, bring no firearms or ammo and know the import export rules regarding food and dollar value limits, again especially when returning home. Most of all be prepared to have fun if you get to P.E.I.. We got there a couple of years ago and can,t wait to go back. Enjoy Canada. Old Guys

Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #10

If you fish up there, don't cheat on the number of fish you bring back. They are real persnikity comming across. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Villa Estate 392FLFB

#1 rule. BE HONEST TO THE CROSSING GUARDS!! if they 'catch you on something' apologize and thank you for bringing that to your attention because you did not know about it!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
Anyone crossing the border needs a passport now, especially if you want to get back into the U.S.. Other than that just tell the truth, be co-operative, bring no firearms or ammo and know the import export rules regarding food and dollar value limits, again especially when returning home. Most of all be prepared to have fun if you get to P.E.I.. We got there a couple of years ago and can,t wait to go back. Enjoy Canada. Old Guys

Incorrect - check the link provided by F.R.O.G. above. There are several I.D. options and some, the Enhanced Drivers License for example, depend on what state or province you live if provided there.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #13

If you are going to PEI . You must take the time and do the Cabot trail in Cape Breton absolutely beautiful. also a great campground there the Hideaway campground and oyster market.
Billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Incorrect - check the link provided by F.R.O.G. above. There are several I.D. options and some, the Enhanced Drivers License for example, depend on what state or province you live if provided there.

...VTX-Al
My understanding is that you may get in here (Canada), but getting yourself back home without a passport might be a problem.(American Law)

Make it simple, bring your passport
Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyb View Post
If you are going to PEI . You must take the time and do the Cabot trail in Cape Breton absolutely beautiful. also a great campground there the Hideaway campground and oyster market.
We have been to the Hideaway twice,once tenting and then again towing our old Mallard.If you do the Cabot Trail with a larger trailer make sure you have good brakes as they will get quite a workout on the way down.It is well worth it though because of the beauty of it.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #16

If you travel across to Maine and enter New Brunswick you can save a lot of that expensive gas. The drive through Quebec is not very direct to PEI. We enjoy the NY, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Southern NB camping much more than what you will find in Northern Quebec & Northern NB.
We travel from New Brunswick to the Thousand Islands area at least twice per year and we always RV in the USA side because of the numerous choice of Campgrounds, tourist activity choices and of course the cost is lower.
As far as border crossing, passports will make crossing smooth. You will have the most hassle coming back into the USA. Most USA Border Guards will inspect inside your trailer and you cannot bring any fruits, vegatables or meat products back into the USA.
Have a great trip, Maine, New Brunswick, and PEI are beautiful with lots of things to do and great eating !!!!!!!!
/
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you are coming to the 1000 Island region I will be glad to help you with any info that you may require. We have a summer site at the Mallorytown 1000 Islands KOA.
That is a very kind offer, and I may very well take you up on it!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anthony View Post
If you fish up there, don't cheat on the number of fish you bring back. They are real persnikity comming across. Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
#1 rule. BE HONEST TO THE CROSSING GUARDS!! if they 'catch you on something' apologize and thank you for bringing that to your attention because you did not know about it!
I have a guilty face, but I'm not particularly guilty!
Seriously, thanks for all the good advice, it really seems like the consensus is that as long as my papers are in order (not my strong suit) and I'm not in a big hurry (which is the whole point of vacation) everything will be OK.
I'm looking forward to spring time, and hoping fuel prices will drop!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #19

As stated if going to PEI from 1000 Island region it is better to go through the northern states. Have traveled both ways and find the drive better. You will have 4 lane highways if you take the route through Quebec but will have mostly 2 lane highways on the US side. The Canadian way is longer but will take less time.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #20

Last two times into Canada, I don't know if its a requirement, but they looked at our passports (don't know if it was required or if it was what we offered them for I. D.). Also if you have or even have had a criminal problem in U. S., they won't let you into Canada. Several years ago, had a nephew that couldn't get in right away, and same year a person in another bunch going fishing in Canada couldn't get in because of a drunken driving conviction (I think) ten years before. Presently have a brother-in-law that can't get in because someone else with his same name has a criminal record. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote