Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1820 View Post
I am not from Manitoba but have lots of family there. I will be coming out there the last 2 weeks of August. Any suggestions on campgrounds that anyone can recommend (couple hours from Winnipeg)? They can be national, provincial or private. Thanks
Hello chief, and welcome to the site.
I've stayed at Sprucewoods Provincial Park; it's just east of Brandon, within a couple of hours of Winnipeg. It's a nice enough spot. It is however, just outside CFB Shilo and you can occasionally hear artillery or machine gun fire. It's off in the distance and thus not terribly loud but not everyone enjoys that sort of thing in the background.
Riding Mountain National Park, over near Dauphin is really nice but might be out of range for you. I usually stay in the northern campgrounds which do not have hookups but there's a large full service c/g in the southeast part of the park.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #22

Thanks for the quick reply and the info. I will check out the provincial park on their website. Chief

Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #23

Hi chief. What are your interests. Knowing that would narrow down the search. Many of the camp sites with services book up early but is your roughing it you should still be ok.
Sprucewoods is nice but a flood took out the lower half of the campground and don't know if its been fixed. We stayed in the upper portion 2 years ago and that part was fine. Close to the desert with some interesting hiking trails.
Hecla is further north on an island in lake manitoba (access by causeway). Great golf course and good hiking/biking trails.
Clear lake is a national park and has it all. Nice townsite for knick knack shopping and restaurants, couple of nice golf courses and all the hiking/biking trails you could ask for.
Birds hill is just outside Winnipeg. Has good hiking/biking trails a with man made lake for swimming.
We are trying out Adam Lake and Stephenfield for the first time on our way back from Sk and Ab
Hope you have a good time in Mb. Tip! If you hear a helicopter buzzing you at night it's just a mosquito, our provincial bird.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #24

Thanks Charli. I have a Brittany so hiking is one thing that we both need to do. I have been to Hecla (before travel trailer) a few times for golfing but never to camp. I have been past Bird's Hill but it has been quite a few years since I have actually been in the park. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check out your recommendations. Chief
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #25

Took the 6501 out for the first time this weekend .... very cold. We just went out for one night, Arrowhead RV in Ile Des Chenes. Just a practice run, everything working. Ready for the long weekend, unfortunately rain is predicted, still going!!
Happy camping.
Winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #26

We're from Manitoba too!!! What are your favorite camping spots? Looking to explore new places!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
Manitoba, canada

Chief you need to hit up winnipeg beach.One of the cleanest and paved campgrounds going.Just north of winnipeg 1 hr.Going to srpruce woods this coming july long weekend ,where is everyone else headed.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #28

Went to Wpg beach campground last June. It's a new campground, opened either fall 2011 or spring 2012. As its new, the campsites are pretty open with trees/shrubs just planted but the layout is nice and only a short walk to the beach and the townsite. Sandy Hook golf course is only a 10 min drive and Gimli is only about 30 min up the highway. Unfortunately it rained almost every day but we will go back again.
Going to try Stephenfield and Adam Lake for the first time in July and will hit Hecla and Clear Lake in Aug. can't wait. Need to get away from the house. The yard work is killing me.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #29
Manitoba, canada

Anyone going to spruce woods for the july longweekend.We are headed up that way.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #30

Just got back from the Branson Missouri frog rally, it was fantastic! Anybody still interested in a group camping trip to say Birds Hill park in the fall.