Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #21

Huskies generate power

We use the huskies to generate power in the summertime to keep them fit for pulling our sleds in winter. As a result the amperage delivered can be quite unpredictable particularly during shift change . . . Okay just kidding
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonblack View Post
You're kidding - Right ???
Absolutely not. Just learned that I have to install metric fresh, gray, and black water tanks before I cross the border into Canada because gallon sized tanks aren't allowed in Canada. Don't want to fail an inspection at the border. Same thing goes for tires, need to find a tire gauge that measures in kilopascals.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Most of us drive on the right side of the road however I have stopped (when I worked Law Enforcement) Quebec drivers driving through a round about in the wrong direction.

You'll be acting like you were right at home only it will cost less with our exchange rate of 31 cents on the dollar.
Fuel costs are outrageous.

hopefully the fall colours are bright and the sun is warm... and this stuff stays away

Speaking of that stuff, saw this in Menard's today. It's not even Halloween yet, let alone Thanksgiving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas in Sept.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	187055  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceX2 View Post
Absolutely not. Just learned that I have to install metric fresh, gray, and black water tanks before I cross the border into Canada because gallon sized tanks aren't allowed in Canada. Don't want to fail an inspection at the border. Same thing goes for tires, need to find a tire gauge that measures in kilopascals.
Glad to see you're into the spirit of the many posts- the only thing you'll really find different is the Metric System for fuel and the speed limits. Your dollar will get you further than ours.
We'll be glad to see you and we wish you all the best.

Cheers
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Be prepared for the Canadian Border crossing spelling test.

Colour - (Canadian) Color - (US)
Favourite - (Canadian) Favorite - (US)
Travelling - (Canadian) Traveling - (US)
Centre - (Canadian) Center - (US)

There are many others - but you get the idea.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:48 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
There is/was snow in Calgary right now. My daughter is working out there. If you are any where in Canada be very very wary of 10/17. That is when pot becomes legal coast to coast to coast!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:44 AM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

Ehhh. Idiots that are going to get high and drive don't worry about any laws to stop 'em. And the noobies that say, "Pot is legal now honey, let's try some of the devil's lettuce" will be too paranoid to leave their houses, lol. Fear not, and tune in to my favorite TV show, Trailer Park Boys! (Good Netflix binge)
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #28

Reading this thread has been a hoot. My Brother lives in Calgary- been there several times, through Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.
Beautiful country, Canada.
KJ6VVB
yupurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
At least you think we drive. Most think we have dog sleds and live in an igloo.
I know you guys have swamps that rival any in Southern Louisiana! Or, at least Ontario does.

And I carried a canoe through two of those dang swamps!

Beautiful Country, but the swamps, mosquitoes, and flies were horrible.
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I would strongly suggest that you visit the Canadian Customs website to learn about the Do's & Don'ts when crossing the border. It will save you a lot of heartache at the checkpoint.
great point.

had a buddy of mine return from a 2 hour crossing in Houlton Maine last week where he declared he purchased a couple pair of socks but not like Trudeau socks.

the old guard snickered and a young guard told the citizen to mind his mouth and keep his opinions to himself.

Some of our crossing guards would be better suited to be school crossing guards not Border guards.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #31

Quote:
What I thought was originally a dumb question isn't because I don't know the answer with certainty. For all I know, Canada could have been on the same power standard as their European brethren.

Heck, I don't even know what side of the road Canadians drive on

Come on up we have lots of room for our Merican' friends. I live just South of Cochrane and Hwy 22 is a nice drive up to Jasper. The Icefields Parkway from Jasper down to Lake Louise and Banff is a nice drive.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #32

We just got back from the same trip, all power, water and sewer are the same as here. Your going to see some beautiful country. We were gone for 2 months. Any questions about where or.... you can pm me or here. Unless you got everything planned
My speedometer didn’t have km so we made a conversion chart and put it on the dash where I could see it. You will also need some Canadian $ use credit card when you can I think you get a better ex rate. I set my card up to text or email on all international purchases so I see what I’m paying by the time I’m out the store
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #33

Quote:
What I thought was originally a dumb question isn't because I don't know the answer with certainty. For all I know, Canada could have been on the same power standard as their European brethren.

Heck, I don't even know what side of the road Canadians drive on

Are you serious? Have you been living under a rock? We are your neighbor and you have to ask this silly question?
flashtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #34

Couple of tips. The Costco stores in Canada don’t take Visa cards including the US Costco VISA card. They only take Master Card. Make sure the credit card you use doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee. You can get Canadian currency at ATMs so don’t worry about carrying a lot of cash, Canadian fuel is not cut with alcohol as it is in the States. Most GPS can be set to metric or they will automatically convert kilometers to miles. Most businesses will take US dollars but they will not give you the best exchange rate. Use a credit card whenever possible. Don’t try to take a hand gun across the border. A long gun may be allowed depending on where you cross. Check the rules before you get to the border. Canadian highways are good and the driving rules are pretty much the same as the US. Enjoy your trip.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Except they call it "hydro".
I have several Canadian friends at my campground in Florida and chuckle when they call Electric, "Hydro". To most of us in the states , Hydro means water!

God love 'em but I also get a chuckle when they say "right on". That's sucha throwback to the 60's , but seems so current with my northern brothers!!
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetay View Post
My speedometer didn’t have km so we made a conversion chart and put it on the dash where I could see it.
I have kilometers on my speedometer, but the numbers are smaller and are a color that makes them even harder to read for a color-blind person like me. But I know that 100 km/hr is 62 mph, so I just use that to set an appropriate speed.

In other words, if a speed limit sign in town says "50", then I need to stay at or under 30 mph. And the fastest speed limits that I remember seeing on highways like the Trans-Canada and Yellowhead is 120, so keep it under 75! But that wasn't a problem for me because I never drive over 65 mph while towing even in the US because my trailer tires say "Do not exceed 65 mph."

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:18 PM   #37

WHile our power system is the same as the US, have a few Canadian craft brewed beer while at your campsite and you won't have to plug in.
Enjoy the trip and if you need a nice quieter place to stay in the mountains, go to Kananaskis - Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. Although it is usually busy on a nice Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. Have a nice trip.
Pstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I live just South of Cochrane and Hwy 22

Hi there neighbour!

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #39

Welcome to Canada.
You had some good responses but please don't be thwarted to visit due to some of the ignorant comments of your legitimate question.
Only difference here than there is Kilometers/hr vs Miles/hr, currency, temperature F/C, and gun laws.
You will be visiting a spectacular area.
I live about 5 hours from the places you will be going to and still in awe when I go there.
Have Fun but be prepared for snow.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
From my 35 years of travel through the western provinces, the term "European brethren" just might make those folks look ugly at you. If you're from the eastern or maritime provinces most don't even consider them as Canadian brethren! ...And Ottawa is a dirty word to most of them! They are more like Americans than you know. Quite a few along the Alaska Highway corridor are actually descendants of American GI's who worked on the Highway back in '42 and either stayed there or moved back there after the war.
Nova Scotians call us Upper Canadians!
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, converter, power