Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #91

a newbie from sarnia ontario, newbie to the forum and rving, although we did have popups years ago

drove to new brunswick and pei last summer with our new to us 21 footer, did about 6000 km

wonderful trip

Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #92
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem
a newbie from sarnia ontario, newbie to the forum and rving, although we did have popups years ago

drove to new brunswick and pei last summer with our new to us 21 footer, did about 6000 km

wonderful trip
Welcome to the forum!
Which way did you drive down east ? We
Are going to Nova scotia and PEI

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Which way did you drive down east ? We
Are going to Nova scotia and PEI
arrrgh, the worst part of the trip!!

i've been travelling to nb from sarnia annually for 30 yrs to visit family, done it stateside and cannuck side

stateside via backroads through vermont new hampshire, interstates through ny to maine and the only canadian route

the canadian route is easy and fast, for us its the 402 to 401 to montreal on hwy 20 then turn north on 640 to hwy 40

best way through montreal is hwy 40 around the north side to the lafontainne tunnel which then joins hwy 20. hwy 20 to riviere du loup then south into new brunswick. dont take hwy 20 through montreal

its an easy drive, we drive through the night, we're in montreal at 1 am, fredericton by lunchtime, traffic of course is minimal in montreal

the highways are all 4 plus lanes including new brunswick except riviere du loup to the nb border(1 hour) and that section is steep long hills on 2 lane roads(lots of passing lanes on upgrades though), heavy truck traffic

gas and food is easy in quebec, lots of highly visible off highway stations, french is not required

gas was high in quebec last summer, but we only needed one refill in quebec

hwy 20 has lots of rest stops but no facilities except washrooms and picnic tables

we're going this year in august, canadian way is the fastest and easiest
Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #94
Young & Restless

Small, small world....

Quote:
Hey! we lived in Corbeil (Carrier road of Centenial Crescent) back in the 90's and we loved it up there
We are going near Mattawa tomorrow and visit with some family in Bonfield.
I see there is a total fire ban but the update was dated the 25th of May, hopefully it will be safe and permitted to make camp fire again tomorrow!
Hey boubou! We also lived in Corbeil in the 90's....Big Moose Road. We loved it there too. Great place to raise the kids. Now we are in the Orillia area. Went to Myrtle Beach in the spring for 2 weeks which I think will become an annual trip, and we take the odd weekend here and there. Going up to Cozy Camp the long weekend in August...End of Big Moose Road, to visit old friends. We've been to Kingston and it is a lovely city, very friendly! Cheers!

2011 Flagstaff Classic Lite 8528RLWS
2010 Toyota Tundra TRD SR5 Dbl Cab
Y_n_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #95
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem

arrrgh, the worst part of the trip!!
You do not like going through the states?
I'm a little Concerned about the hills in vermont or getting lost on backroads lol
Timbrens
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #96

Quote:
I'm a little Concerned about the hills in vermont or getting lost on backroads lol

When are you headed downeast? Maybe you can join me on a trip to Newfoundland.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #97
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown

When are you headed downeast? Maybe you can join me on a trip to Newfoundland.
Been to Newfoundland last year (flew) 2 weeks, it was fantastic.
Leaving on the 2nd of august, got the road mapped out and hopping that the GPS, road map and atlas all speak the same language
Timbrens
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #98

The hills of Vermont are not bad. We always take the American way when heading east. It is a bit slower but the scenery is better. As previous post stated the hwy. on the Canadian side is mostly 4 lane. The new highway in NB does not have services on the highway. You will need to leave hwy and find a gas station. They are well marked but some are a long way from turnoff. There are also no gas stations on the highway in Que. but are not far from highway. The rest areas in Que. along Hwy 20 are very close together (30 to 50 miles) and most have coffee trucks.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #99

Quote:
no driving a rig through rural roads in vermont new hampshire maine for hours isnt much fun and takes forever, i've done the trip 25 to 30 times to nb and i just want to get there!!

for us, its a straight through drive overnight to fredericton, 16 hours without the trailer, last year was the first time with the trailer and took 20 hours, of course its much shorter from kingston!!

our gps was dead accurate going through montreal, even 3 yrs ago when there were many detours on hwy 40 to the surface streets

i highly recommend going through montreal at night, daytime traffic is horendous, worse than toronto

nb and pei are beautiful, nice campground just outside fredericton(goggle "bucket club", saturday farmers market is fantastic

i know of many more beautiful spots if you're interested, it would be a looooong post!!
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #100

I am from Calgary...saw some references to Cypres Hills....great spot to do some camping