Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Atlantic Provinces trip

We're considering a trip to the Atlantic Provinces: Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. I've always wanted to travel there and now that we've done a few long trips, I think we're ready. Any experience RVing in these areas? Pluses - minuses? I know we'll have to take some ferries if we want to travel to all four provinces. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

.... and first post

2019 Rockwood Mini lite 2506
2019 Chevy Colorado
Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

Better check the cost for the ferry to Newfoundland. It is very expensive both ways. Newfoundland is beautiful and one can spend 2-3 weeks there. If you go early, late May -June you should see icebergs. Go online and request their tour guide book. Very helpful.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #3

That will be a fun trip. We haven't done it yet, but it is on the bucket list. The ferry to Nfld is expensive though, so we're skipping that one. PEI has the Confederation Bridge, it has a toll to get off but not too bad. Bay of Fundy, Hopewell Rocks are a must as is the Cabot Trail. There are campgrounds in the near all of the highlights, google maps can help with that. There is a covered bridge in Hartland, and they make the best potato chips there (Covered Bridge). Digby for scallops and the little house of Canadian Folk Artist Maud Lewis is there. Her story is amazing. Plenty to see and do, Oak Island if you've followed that show. A cousin stayed at Ponderosa Pines with her camper and really like it . Fairly close to Hopewell Rocks. Also if you have time, there is a ferry that runs from PEI to the Iles de la Madelaine, or also know as the Magdalen Islands. Camping on the islands is inexpensive, its getting there that is. So exciting to get the camping season going again. We have a son getting married this summer, so we're not planning any long trips, but will still be getting out there.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

We led a 23-unit FROG caravan to the Maritimes last fall, visiting and camping in New Brunswick, Prince Edward and Nova Scotia.

Take the Confederation Bridge to and from PEI. No toll going onto the island, you pay the toll (about $60 US for our truck and 5th wheel, if I remember correctly) when leaving the island. If you can get reservations, camp in PEI National Park (FHU) in the heart of "Anne of Green Gables" country. Beautiful scenery.

The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island is a must-see. You can drive to and from Cape Breton. Lots of other interesting things to see and do on Cape Breton.

If you get to Halifax, take a guided sight-seeing tour of the city. Very interesting history, including a visit to the cemetery where many of the victims of the Titanic disaster are buried. Also, a (relatively) short drive to Peggy's Cove, to see the most-photographed lighthouse in Canada. (Hint: Go early, as dozens of tour buses show up around 10:00-10:30 am.)

In New Brunswick, visit the small town of St. Andrews, once the summer playground of the rich from Toronto and Montreal. Stay at Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping, a fantastic FHU campground literally right across the street from the water.

Enjoy your trip. Eastern Canada is a great place to visit, with lots to see and do and some of the nicest people you will meet in your travels.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #5

2019 Confederation Bridge tolls in Canadian $$;
1st two axles $47.75
additional axles $8.25 each

Capt. Mike nailed the highlights!

Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
Fundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Atlantic Provinces Trip

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad the forum moved my thread to this forum. Hopefully I'll get more responses. Especially interested in replies from those who have experienced these areas with their rv. Thanks again.

Vita
2019 Rockwood 2506
2019 Chevy Colorado
Vita is offline   Reply With Quote