Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Banff and Jasper

For those who have stayed at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court, do you have a preference for which section (A, B, C) and/or site? Also, same question for Whistlers.

sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
WFD

Last year we stayed in B Section, in the 400's...dont recall exact site...Easy in and out...lots of really tall trees. Reservation site has good pics. They are all drive through sites...not real spacious due to the trees, so when you set out your awning you dont have a ton of space beyond that, but there is no problem getting the rigs into the sites, the pics will show what I mean. If you want more open space then go into 'C", but you will be in close proximity to those around you. If satellite dish signal is important to you you will have a good shot in C, but not in A or B.
We loved our stay in Banff, lots to see and do.
In Whistler choose your site carefully, look at the pics, some sites can be a challenge. Whistler has much more wildlife, the elk come right into the campground.
Either way, book as soon as you can if you are going in July or Aug, reservations will open very soon, it fills up fast, especially Whistler. For our trip in Aug we booked in early Feb and at that time could only get a couple nights in Whistler.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Last year we stayed in B Section, in the 400's...dont recall exact site...Easy in and out...lots of really tall trees. Reservation site has good pics. They are all drive through sites...not real spacious due to the trees, so when you set out your awning you dont have a ton of space beyond that, but there is no problem getting the rigs into the sites, the pics will show what I mean. If you want more open space then go into 'C", but you will be in close proximity to those around you. If satellite dish signal is important to you you will have a good shot in C, but not in A or B.
We loved our stay in Banff, lots to see and do.
In Whistler choose your site carefully, look at the pics, some sites can be a challenge. Whistler has much more wildlife, the elk come right into the campground.
Either way, book as soon as you can if you are going in July or Aug, reservations will open very soon, it fills up fast, especially Whistler. For our trip in Aug we booked in early Feb and at that time could only get a couple nights in Whistler.
Thanks! Exactly the kind of information I am looking for.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
WFD

What are you travelling in? Motorhome with tow behind vehicle? Truck and trailer? When are you going? I dug it up..we stayed in Site 419, very level, very close to bathrooms, showers, very easy to pull into and out. Heavily treed on the exit side of the trailer. Great mountain views! Be prepared for all types of weather...Banff is very busy in summer, but if you don't mind walking it's not a big deal, sometimes parking in townsite can be a challenge. There is a shuttle that comes often that will take you from campground to townsite.

If you are interested, you can private message me, and I have tons of photos I can share with you.

In Jasper we stayed in 54G. Drive through site but some trees to maneuver around....some sites were much worse tree wise so choose with that in mind. Jasper is much much more rustic of a campground. From 54G we had to drive to shower rooms, but once there, shower rooms are a plenty.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #5

My problem with Tunnel Mountain is that the sites are just pull-outs along a paved road--no privacy, no real separation between RVs, no shade, and in town. Whistler's is several miles from Jasper, has treed, grassy sites, a little more separation between sites, and, as mentioned, lots of wildlife. Early one morning, we had to wait for a bull elk to stop grazing the shoulder and move off the road in order to leave our campground loop.

We had back-in site #61-L at Whistler's and site B13 at Tunnel Mountain. Of course, we like to travel without reservations, so we didn't get either reservation until we were in Grande Prairie, AB, 4 campground nights from Jasper. Between Grande Prairie and Jasper, we spent two nights each in Grand Cache and Hinton (for doing laundry and grocery shopping).

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:33 AM   #6

At Tunnel Mountain we usually stay in the trailer court (full services). I think these sites are nicer than the village sites. We like to try to stay in a spit right along the road so that we have unobstructed views of the mountains. The ones on the far right at the bottom when looking at the campground map are best. These campgrounds are definitely more of a base camp for exploring the area than a destination themselves.

Whistlers campground is fantastic. We spend many weeks there ever year and I definitely have my favourites. If you look at the campground map, the ones in the bottom left quarter are full services with the ones further left having fire pits as well. We like loop 52 without fire pits. The ones in the top left quarter have electricity. 65J is our favourite of these. The rest in the whole right half are all unserviced, the ones on the top right are larger while many in the bottom right are walk in tent sites. Loops 29 and 30 have large sites and are nice and dark for star gazing. Wapiti campground is also beautiful and close to the town.

We spend so much time in Jasper and also a fair big in Banff, if you have and questions or want suggestions on what to do and see, message me and I will point you in the right direction!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #7

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #8

We got reservations at tunnel mountain 7/2 for five nights #2 sp c/40 elect only

Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote