Old 03-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
Originally Posted by blue river View Post
Banff is on our list, likely by June 4th or 5th. Do campsites fill up that early in the season? Trying to figure out what grocery list should look like, how likely bears are (I'm a city girl), that sort of thing. Then Jasper perhaps for two nights, before heading further north. Any hints appreciated. I'm also the appointed worrier.
This year, because of the exchange rate between the Loonie (Cdn $) and the U$ sites are filling up pretty fast with locals trying to save money. Here is the link to Parks Canada where you can make any reservations.

Full hook-ups are about $38 (Cdn) per night which comes out at about U$27. There is also a U$ 100 park pass to buy which this year is valid for 24 months and valid for any Canadian National Park.

Parks Canada - Parks Canada - List of Fees

There is a Safeway in Banff but a much bigger one in Canmore about ten minutes drive away so don't worry about grocery shopping. There is a bus service from the tunnel Mountain campground that takes you in to Banff town if you don't want to use the car.
Bears do exist but I've never seen any despite looking. At that time of year they're mainly up higher and in the back country. With that said, don't leave food out.
There are lots of beautiful and picturesque spots in the area. Lake Louise is only 45 minutes away. You can walk or take a gondola ride up Sulphur Mountain, visit the hot spring and have a soak. On the way up to Jasper you'll pass the Athabasca glacier and can over-night in their Lot. Take a bus tour on to the glacier and then stop off at the glass walkway that recently opened.

For my money, Jasper is a much nicer town and less commercial than Banff.

Prior to arriving at Banff avoid Calgary if you can. There are certainly no decent campground there - I know I live nearby. I'd also fill up with gas or diesel because it is less expensive than in the Banff/Jasper areas.

Take a look at RVPark reviews for individual campgrounds.

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Enjoy the trip.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #12
You will likely be fine in early June...the 4th is a Saturday so may be busier but I suspect you would be fine from the 5th on as school is still in session then. For the first time this year Parks Canada started taking reservations in January as opposed to Apr, so bookings have been busy, with not much left right now in july and August, add to this the fact that one of the c/g will be closed all summer for construction of new buildings, sites will be a rare thing in there this summer. I would book now if you can...we booked about 3 weeks ago for mid August and there were not alot of sites left.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #13
With a 37' rig, the designated RV spaces may be needed and reservations are essential. The park is very well set up with easy access pull through spaces in the main RV camps.

If you make it to Jasper, the trip out onto the ice fields is a life experience. Banff is full of beautiful places to hike and explore. On arrival, stop at the park HQ for great advice based on your level of fitness and experience, and your interests. Trails range from easy to torturous. If you get even a bit away from the parking lots, you will lose most of the crowd right away. So many photographic areas such as Lake Louise for starters! Don't overlook the music festival and other events going on in town too.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

2016 Forester 2401R
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote