Old 05-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Best route from Niagra Falls to Banff and Jasper

We are planning a trip from Niagra Falls to Banff and Jasper National parks and the Canadian Rockies starting on August 1. Has anyone made this trip and if so, what is the best route. We'd like to use the Trans Canadian Highway. Are there a lot of campgrounds along the way? Any other information or suggestions that would be helpful, we would appreciate receiving. We'll be towing a 30' travel trailer. Thank you.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

First issue: Canadian fuel prices are much higher than US, so factor that into your plans. Second issue: from Niagara Falls the best route west (in the US) is I-90/I-80 which goes straight though Chicago. The problem with that is there are toll booths about every 10 miles and they cost a lot (especially if you're towing a trailer). Traffic is a nightmare on top of that. I'd drive 100 extra miles to avoid Chicago.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

There are several places in Northern Ontario that have very few gas stations. I always carry a 5 gal can of gas. In the summer there are a lot of CG open (many are provincial parks. We always plan on driving about 500 kilometers a day and plan our CG stops the day before. The northern route has a lot less hill but also has less communities and CG available. It will almost take as long to leave Ontario as it will to reach BC from Ontario. There are many CG along the TC. We enjoy the Meadowlark CG in Brandon Man. There is a vary nice restaurant with in walk distance from the CG. Also if in Calgary do not stay at the CG beside the Olympic park (sites were small and overpriced).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:15 AM   #4

Also if in Calgary do not stay at the CG beside the Olympic park (sites were small and overpriced).

X2 to that. Drive another 30kms to Cochrane and stay there

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post
We are planning a trip from Niagra Falls to Banff and Jasper National parks and the Canadian Rockies starting on August 1. Has anyone made this trip and if so, what is the best route. We'd like to use the Trans Canadian Highway. Are there a lot of campgrounds along the way? Any other information or suggestions that would be helpful, we would appreciate receiving. We'll be towing a 30' travel trailer. Thank you.

We went there last year . . . in the spring. If you haven't been, make sure you add Glacier & Waterton National Parks . . . awesome. If you're hooked on Canadian route, go for it. We took I90 from Boston and saw much along the way. Our first night was near Niagara Falls. You would need about a month or so to see what we saw at the beginning (Boston-Jasper) of our 5 month adventure to Alaska. Go to my website: levesqueadventures.com to visit some of the things we saw and did along the way. Enjoy! I believe I've named many of the great campgrounds we stayed at within the website.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

I will leave Seattle so I am going to NY so I am also interested in this route
and places to visit!!!

gtony2
Old 05-31-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony2 View Post
I will leave Seattle so I am going to NY so I am also interested in this route
and places to visit!!!

gtony2
From Seattle, go north up I5 and cross the boarder at Sumas. We crossed here last year heading south to WA and found it a much quieter border point. I'd then head north and find a nice small CG around Kelowna for a few days. There are plenty of them with FHU if needed. Some located on small farms or vineyards. Head up through Vernon and over to Golden, then Lake Louise. There is a Parks Canada campground there with FHU but beware you also need a park pass which will add to the cost significantly (approx $20 Cdn per day or $140 for an annual pass which is good for all Parks Canada). From Lake Louise, travel north along the Icefields Parkway, stopping to see the glacier and take a ride on it in one of the specially adapted buses. There is also a new glass walkway that is really worthy of a visit. Glacier Skywalk - New in Jasper National Park

After a few days in Jasper head back south along Hwy 22 to Waterton National Park. If you bought the annual pass it will get you in to there too. There is a campground right in the park but you'll need to book in advance.

After Waterton, travel east along Hwy 3 towards Medicine Hat and Cypress Hills. After that you're in Saskatchewan where you can head back south of the border or continue on the trans Canada Highway to Ontario.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

Thanks for the info looking at Atlas now!!!!

gtony2
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #9

Go & enjoy

Don't fret about gas prices, tolls etc. Just go & enjoy. Take the road along the north side of Lk Superior & stay at Neys Provincial Park. One of the most scenic rides in North America! You'll be glad you'll you did. Have fun!

gtony2[/QUOTE]
Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #10

If you are taking the Trans Canada, one consideration to avoid a long lonely stretch from Thunder Bay to Kenora is to turn onto Hwy 11 at Shabaqua, just west of Thunder By. You will go through Atikokan, Fort Frances, Nestor Falls, Sioux Narrows and then to Kenora, far more interesting and not that much further.
John
Like the retired Met Officer, I'm a retired officer also, 16 years and counting