Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #11

We have camped, and enjoyed bon echo PP ...
This is a very used campsite ... so stay on the perimeter of each campground is recommended ... especially for electricity.
Black flys and misquotes were very bad last year when we went .. don't really know what i was thinking but we booked the 2nd week of May ... it was brutal, went through two hatches .. both black-flies .. and those darn mosquitoes ..
the park opens early so the first week in May is always nice ... rangers are very nice .. and there is a guy on the way in who has a major woodlot and sells great firewood to all that enter.

i will be headed to Algonquin park the first week of May ..

d-mo

Old 01-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #12

D-mo, check out site 53 at Mews in Algonquin, we were there in the fall and have booked last weekend in May. Any suggestion for a site at Bob Echo?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

We go to Lake Huron. Inverhuron, enough of a breeze to keep mosquitos at bay, No Black flies at this park, going during the 60's till it closed, Reopened in 2000 and still none, They are adding Holmes Bay back another 80 sites I think. We were in Grundy Lake in early may, not too many black flies in May.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #14

Bon Echo is a great park I used to go every year summer and fall havenít been for a few years. We would take the Joe Perry Lake trail with the dogs and swim them at the lake. Became popular with dog people being several kilometers to hike to Joe Perry it wasnít considered a main beach so no issues having the pups out there, nice the park now has the pet exercise area; Bon Echo has definitely become increasingly popular. Very busy park but still lots of quiet places to visit and everyone is generally well behaved. I tried Arrowhead last year and left early the place was jammed, noisy and chaotic. Went on my list of been there, done that, never going back. Silent Lake is an awesome little park if youíre not into organized events and visitor centres but prefer things more scenic and down to earth. If youíre an AFramer, Tent trailer, small trailer or tenter this is an ideal place if you have a big rig there are very few options with the exception of the original small electrical loop. Hydro was added to some of the tent sites two years ago but the roads might be too narrow for backing up the big trailers. Not sure what the black flies will be like in June. Hoping to try Bonnechere in the future went for the day saw some nice non-electric sites right on the river.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #15

I have not been to Bonnechere since 1974. We spent a week there every summer when I was growing up. Loved Round Lake and Fishing. We used to boat up the river as far as we could go. Brings back some nice memories.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #16

June is always a crapshoot with bugs, depending on the winter and how long spring stretches through May. CL is a great spot but if bugs are bad does not matter what you do. If May is hot and heats the ground then June is good but hard to book a reservation with a bunch of maybes and what ifs.

Kevin

Tags
black