Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Yes, you need one. It is very important. I managed to back my Class C into a pick up truck in Newfoundland in 2012. Minor damage but the truck owner got all wound up about it. The RCMP came, took one look at my insurance card and told the guy to cool it. Due to that card he was assured my insurance would cover the damage to his vehicle, and it did.

We never enter Canada without the auto insurance card. Your insurance company should provide you with the official form at no charge. Our insurance company faxed us a copy as we purchased a new truck while on the road.
Interesting. I just drove into Canada on Sunday (truck only) and had no idea that I should have a special card with me. I never saw anything like/about it before.

I'll see what I need to do the next time we're planning a border crossing. Though I'm sure it'll be a while.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Interesting. I just drove into Canada on Sunday (truck only) and had no idea that I should have a special card with me. I never saw anything like/about it before.

I'll see what I need to do the next time we're planning a border crossing. Though I'm sure it'll be a while.
I was always under the impression that your normal insurance covered you in Canada, nothing special. Now Mexico... That is another issue.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #23

I declared a shotgun when crossing at Bonners Ferry about 4 years ago. They had a cow!!! Forced to go back to ID and ship it to a relative in CA. They said I could only bring in the shotgun if I was on my way to AK. I even carried the printed regulations that said it was OK. They couldn't care less.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #24

I have driven the Alaska Highway almost 20 times and have never heard of a special insurance card for Canada. My insurance covers me in Canada and I can't imagine why my regular proof of insurance wouldn't be sufficient. If need be, I can always pull my policy up on my insurance app. I wonder if some insurance companies just issue a card to assuage those who are concerned about driving in Canada.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #25

Yes your American car insurance is good in Canada. But, the form from your insurance company proves you have coverage. The form lists your insurance company name, policy number and dates of coverage. It is a Canadian form that your insurance company has. The Canadian police want to see that form in the event of an accident. It is a simple thing to do and prevents the possibility of lots of hassle.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Yes your American car insurance is good in Canada. But, the form from your insurance company proves you have coverage. The form lists your insurance company name, policy number and dates of coverage. It is a Canadian form that your insurance company has. The Canadian police want to see that form in the event of an accident. It is a simple thing to do and prevents the possibility of lots of hassle.

The insurance card everyone carries in their glove box has all that info and then some. Mine certainly does.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #27

Yes, but... The Canadian police want their insurance confirmation form. Remember, you are in a foreign country and their rules apply.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #28

My insurance company said to just take the policy with us, they had never heard of a card
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #29

Third Degree

We crossed the border north of Scobey Mt at a P of E that closed at 8pm. In addition to the standard ID requests, dog vacc info, and registration/proof of insurance for both vehicles, the agents there asked us twenty questions, repeating several over again in an attempt to cross us up. They asked us to remove our sunglasses. They asked me three times the year that I retired. They asked us four times if we had any firearms. Then they had us exit our vehicle, and stand in front of it while they searched both it & our Roo 21ss. After about thirty minutes, we were declared fit to enter Canada, and headed on up the road.

About twenty minutes away from the crossing, my wife wondered if they might have searched the fridge/freezer, and if so, had they closed it properly, until it 'clicked'? Turns out they had, and they didn't. The freezer door was wide open, and its contents spread over the dinette/floor. They'd also searched my wife's rolling duffle, and left it on the loveseat open.

I should say that during all of this, the agents were courteous and polite, and in this day & age, probably correct. It just was not expected.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote