Old 06-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #1

Border Crossing Info

Just wondering if any recent trips (June Ď18) over the border into Canada produced any weirdness. I had heard that raw chicken was not being allowed but canít find any specific reference to frozen. Any info would help!

dtougey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
Just a member

This may help:

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/menu-eng.html

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	177014
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

We crossed over at the Malta Montana border crossing into Saskatchewan just a couple weeks ago. The American side was fine, no issues. We had our dog and there was no problems. The Canada side was ok. I ran the stop sign on their side and got the wrath of the guard. Then he wanted to know why we were only going to be there for 1 day and after explaining our plans, he let us go. No problems coming back, expect I had a tumbleweed under the truck and the American guard kept asking if i had any plants or vegetables in the truck. I kept saying no, but he kept asking. Then he started laughing at the "plant" I was trying to smuggle back into the US. It was good for a laugh.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
We crossed over at the Malta Montana border crossing into Saskatchewan just a couple weeks ago. The American side was fine, no issues. We had our dog and there was no problems. The Canada side was ok. I ran the stop sign on their side and got the wrath of the guard. Then he wanted to know why we were only going to be there for 1 day and after explaining our plans, he let us go. No problems coming back, expect I had a tumbleweed under the truck and the American guard kept asking if i had any plants or vegetables in the truck. I kept saying no, but he kept asking. Then he started laughing at the "plant" I was trying to smuggle back into the US. It was good for a laugh.

The Canadian border guard when he was about to let us proceed told me he hoped i obeyed the traffic laws better than I did crossing the border. He said I was supposed to stop at the stop sign I had just ran
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Gold Tee Box

A couple years ago we flew into Vancouver to take an Alaskan Cruise and the customs there would not let me bring in a can of peanuts. It was not an agricultural issue because they were processed...maybe the guy just wanted some peanuts to snack on.

Another short story...when camping near the boundary waters in Minnesota, we go by boat into Canadian water and have to stop at the Customs island. You can't take minnows in, but they can swim accross the border themselves

If you buy 2 dozen minows and one of their agents come by your boat to check you out, you better have your receipt, and you better not have 25 minnows, or you will be fined.
23 campgrounds/240 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The Canadian border guard when he was about to let us proceed told me he hoped i obeyed the traffic laws better than I did crossing the border. He said I was supposed to stop at the stop sign I had just ran
They do want you to STOP Iíve seen cars ignore it and they end up getting searched and delayed. It is the officers first impression of you, think about that!
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post

That's too funny. I did the same thing.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

We crossed to Canada on 5/21 and crossed back to the US on 6/3 and no one asked us anything out of the ordinary. Didn't get searched either.

'17: 42
'18: 25
Dan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
oreddie

Spirits Can Be Troublesome

Preparing for a 3 week trip to Alaska via the ALCAN I loaded a significant quantity of gin, whiskey, beer and wine before leaving Oregon. Mistake! I wasn't even thinking about import limits leaving the US for the US but transiting a foreign country.

I answered the CBSA agent at the border truthfully when asked how much alcohol I had on board and, as a former customs inspector, was really embarrassed by my oversight. Fortunately she simply reminded me of the limits and issued a stern admonishment to never repeat that mistake. Up to means no more than and, I think, the limits can't be combined; its one or the other, not 1.5 liters of wine AND 24 beers.

Wine: Up to 1.5 litres/ 53 fluid ounces or two 750 ml bottles of wine
Alcoholic beverages:Up to 1.14 litres, 40 fluid ounces, one large standard bottle of liquor
Beer or ale Up to 8.5 litres, up to 287 fluid ounces, approximately 24 cans or bottles (355 ml each) of beer or ale.

Also know that anything but long rifles, maybe shotguns too, are prohibited and, unless it's bear spray, defensive pepper sprays are also forbidden.

Border agents are masters at understanding nonverbal language. Always be forthright.

Ed