Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #1

Border Crossing Info

Just wondering if any recent trips (June ‘18) over the border into Canada produced any weirdness. I had heard that raw chicken was not being allowed but can’t find any specific reference to frozen. Any info would help!
dtougey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
Just a member

This may help:

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/menu-eng.html

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	177014
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

We crossed over at the Malta Montana border crossing into Saskatchewan just a couple weeks ago. The American side was fine, no issues. We had our dog and there was no problems. The Canada side was ok. I ran the stop sign on their side and got the wrath of the guard. Then he wanted to know why we were only going to be there for 1 day and after explaining our plans, he let us go. No problems coming back, expect I had a tumbleweed under the truck and the American guard kept asking if i had any plants or vegetables in the truck. I kept saying no, but he kept asking. Then he started laughing at the "plant" I was trying to smuggle back into the US. It was good for a laugh.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
We crossed over at the Malta Montana border crossing into Saskatchewan just a couple weeks ago. The American side was fine, no issues. We had our dog and there was no problems. The Canada side was ok. I ran the stop sign on their side and got the wrath of the guard. Then he wanted to know why we were only going to be there for 1 day and after explaining our plans, he let us go. No problems coming back, expect I had a tumbleweed under the truck and the American guard kept asking if i had any plants or vegetables in the truck. I kept saying no, but he kept asking. Then he started laughing at the "plant" I was trying to smuggle back into the US. It was good for a laugh.

The Canadian border guard when he was about to let us proceed told me he hoped i obeyed the traffic laws better than I did crossing the border. He said I was supposed to stop at the stop sign I had just ran
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Gold Tee Box

A couple years ago we flew into Vancouver to take an Alaskan Cruise and the customs there would not let me bring in a can of peanuts. It was not an agricultural issue because they were processed...maybe the guy just wanted some peanuts to snack on.

Another short story...when camping near the boundary waters in Minnesota, we go by boat into Canadian water and have to stop at the Customs island. You can't take minnows in, but they can swim accross the border themselves

If you buy 2 dozen minows and one of their agents come by your boat to check you out, you better have your receipt, and you better not have 25 minnows, or you will be fined.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The Canadian border guard when he was about to let us proceed told me he hoped i obeyed the traffic laws better than I did crossing the border. He said I was supposed to stop at the stop sign I had just ran
They do want you to STOP I’ve seen cars ignore it and they end up getting searched and delayed. It is the officers first impression of you, think about that!
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post

That's too funny. I did the same thing.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

We crossed to Canada on 5/21 and crossed back to the US on 6/3 and no one asked us anything out of the ordinary. Didn't get searched either.

'17: 42
'18: 25
Dan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
oreddie

Spirits Can Be Troublesome

Preparing for a 3 week trip to Alaska via the ALCAN I loaded a significant quantity of gin, whiskey, beer and wine before leaving Oregon. Mistake! I wasn't even thinking about import limits leaving the US for the US but transiting a foreign country.

I answered the CBSA agent at the border truthfully when asked how much alcohol I had on board and, as a former customs inspector, was really embarrassed by my oversight. Fortunately she simply reminded me of the limits and issued a stern admonishment to never repeat that mistake. Up to means no more than and, I think, the limits can't be combined; its one or the other, not 1.5 liters of wine AND 24 beers.

Wine: Up to 1.5 litres/ 53 fluid ounces or two 750 ml bottles of wine
Alcoholic beverages:Up to 1.14 litres, 40 fluid ounces, one large standard bottle of liquor
Beer or ale Up to 8.5 litres, up to 287 fluid ounces, approximately 24 cans or bottles (355 ml each) of beer or ale.

Also know that anything but long rifles, maybe shotguns too, are prohibited and, unless it's bear spray, defensive pepper sprays are also forbidden.

Border agents are masters at understanding nonverbal language. Always be forthright.

Ed
Old 07-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #11

>>> Border agents are masters at understanding nonverbal language. Always be forthright.

And not too technical, either. The crossings are technically called 'ports', I believe.
I was crossing over at Chief Mountain in MT a couple of weeks ago, over to Waterton Lakes ('sister' park that borders Glacier NP).

The CA agent asked me when I'd be returning to the US - I replied "before the port closes for the evening tonight" (because I wasn't sure exactly how long I'd be there - wound up being under an hour, which is another story.) He paused & gave me a strange look; I suppose not many use the term 'port'. Otherwise uneventful. I was asked about firearms and weapons, as usual - I'm used to that with the Canadian agents.

The more difficult end was getting *back* into the US (same port, opposite side.) Many, many questions, some of them based on observation of all the crap...er...personal belongings I had in the vehicle. Repeated questions, even - as if I wasn't being truthful.

For whatever reason, it always seems to be tougher to get back into 'Fortress America', than it does to get out. Very strange, as I know they have a wealth of info about me available to them at the touch of a keystroke, via my passport - it's not like I have a large rap sheet or anything. Maybe my record is 'too' clean ? LOL
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #12

Funny story coming back into USA, asked if had we any fruit? We replied no, and that wife had just eaten the last apple. Asked where the core was? We said in our trash. He said go to secondary, They took the trash and searched the truck, more like a quick look and sent us on our way.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #13

I remember when we were returning to the US at the Sumas, WA facility years ago - we had heard that 'no produce' was allowed, and we wound up dumping what we had left in the fridge, 'to be safe' (from the agents, not from non-indigenous plants / insects...lol)

Then we got to the crossing, and while we were questioned for a few minutes - we weren't asked at all about any fruits / veggies. The wife let me hear it for awhile on that one (I was the one who insisted we ditch them.)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #14

We crossed at Sumas, WA last week. We did the same thing- ditched 4 dozen eggs and some other vegetables. All guard asked me was “Do you just have a little food on board?” I said yes, he said “ ok” and that was it. I was however taking a shotgun into Canada so I did have to pull over and go in to pay the $25. But he did ask about mace, even bear mace, which wasn’t allowed but we had none. All in all pretty painless.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
oreddie

Surprised

I am surprised the BSO told you bear spray (mace?) was prohibited. Perhaps it was the word "mace" that made a difference.

I'll be crossing there in early August and now plan to take a copy of this, from Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices, Memorandum D19-13-2 - The key, I think, is labeling on the container.

"Exception: Aerosol or similar dispensers that contain substances capable of repelling or subduing animals (e.g. dog or bear repellent) are not considered prohibited weapons if:
(i) the label of the container indicates specifically that it is for use against animals only; and
(ii) the provisions of the Pest Control Products Act are met.
(iii) In order for a device or dispenser to be considered to meet the above criteria, it must be apparent that the device was designed exclusively for the control or use against animals. The manufacturer's label and specifications will be deemed as the design of the product. The misuse of these or any other similar device may nonetheless be punishable under other laws.
(iv) Please note that there is no minimum quantity or capacity requirements (in terms of grams or milliliters) in making the determination with respect to animal repellents."
Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #16

Interesting 🤨. Maybe I misunderstood him. He specifically asked about the bear spray but maybe you just have to declare it and it is allowed?? Not sure.
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #17

Just crossed back into the USA today from New Brunswick, CA. No issues at all. He stumbled some about the truck with temp tags and asked for the vin #. I provided it and he was okay. He did ask where the truck was purchased and my reply of WV satisfied him. I have given him the original window sticker showing the vin number and ship to location of WV. He spent some time reading the window sticker, I guess out of curiosity. No questions about fruit or veggies, but did ask about alcohol and firearms. Easy peasy.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #18

Has anyone ever got an Canadian auto insurance card? I have progressive and they say they have a special card for Canada
Old 07-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #19

Yes, you need one. It is very important. I managed to back my Class C into a pick up truck in Newfoundland in 2012. Minor damage but the truck owner got all wound up about it. The RCMP came, took one look at my insurance card and told the guy to cool it. Due to that card he was assured my insurance would cover the damage to his vehicle, and it did.

We never enter Canada without the auto insurance card. Your insurance company should provide you with the official form at no charge. Our insurance company faxed us a copy as we purchased a new truck while on the road.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Has anyone ever got an Canadian auto insurance card? I have progressive and they say they have a special card for Canada

I have requested and received a Canadian Proof of Insurance card every time I've traveled to Canada with a vehicle.

It should be requested at least 2 weeks prior to travel since it has to be mailed to you. They usually request the timeframe of travel for the card.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote