Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #21
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rari View Post
coming back from Can they took my fruit and going in they stole my chicken!
They didn't ''steal'' your chicken....rules when crossing borders are there for a reason, even though we may not agree with them or understand why they exist, the onus is on us as travelers to know the rules, they can be had from the respective countries Border Agency websites.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #22

ah but they did steal my chicken. It was frozen in the freezer and I later found out that they only take chicken if it is defrosted, and even then you can keep it if you cook it with in the hour. So I'd say it was a high jack!
Rari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #23

W went to NF last year. Followed advice on this forum and had no problems. Peace Bridge. Me, DW, 2DD's, and the furry kid. DW made a list of every food item At the CN crossing, they made us roll down the rear window so he could see the family. Asked for the toll, and told us to have a great time. Wasn't any traffic (so there wasn't a rush to get us through). DW asked if he needed to see the list she prepared, he just chuckled.

Coming back, US customs asked us a question on where we live (more of a sour face). An agent walked around the camper with a mirror. Otherwise, pretty smooth (Lots of traffic)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
The only problem bringing anything into the US from Canada that I have experienced was a couple of years ago we bought a box of tomatoes from Costco in BC. Declared them as we crossed in to WA and had to surrender them .

Why would you declare tomatoes? Nothing good can ever come from that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrnaz View Post
Why would you declare tomatoes? Nothing good can ever come from that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want a Nexus card andI don't want to appear on their hit list because once you're on there, that's it. Prime target for a stop and search every time you go through and they'd bounce my application for the Nexus - and after the fiasco at YYC as we waited and waited.....and waited to get through to airside for our flight to AZ, I don't want to have to go through that experience again.

Nexus card holders got waved through, the rest of us peasants had to wait for hours. I only just caught my flight despite being there 3 hours before boarding.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I want a Nexus card andI don't want to appear on their hit list because once you're on there, that's it. Prime target for a stop and search every time you go through and they'd bounce my application for the Nexus - and after the fiasco at YYC as we waited and waited.....and waited to get through to airside for our flight to AZ, I don't want to have to go through that experience again.

Nexus card holders got waved through, the rest of us peasants had to wait for hours. I only just caught my flight despite being there 3 hours before boarding.

Off topic, but having a Nexus card I can say you don't "get waved through". However, the combination of less questions and the lower total volume of people using the line does add up to make it significantly faster.

Back to the highjacked topic at hand, I declare everything for the same reasons as you, and then some, as it could affect both my Nexus and my employment as I'm a cross border commuter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #27
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rari View Post
ah but they did steal my chicken. It was frozen in the freezer and I later found out that they only take chicken if it is defrosted, and even then you can keep it if you cook it with in the hour. So I'd say it was a high jack!
We also had frozen chicken confiscated...we were told by Customs agents that the ruling is any "uncooked" chicken, whether it be frozen or fresh. The mistake we made was assuming that it was frozen, it would be alright. They proceeded to show us the ruling that the ban also includes frozen.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #28

Beef hot dogs?

We visited Niagara Falls and stayed on the Canadian side.
Had a blast.
Crossing into Canada I pulled over where the signs indicated with my pop-up.
Nobody around, nobody came out. Wandered into the office and asked if we needed to do anything. The guys looked out the window at my little rig and said nope. Just drive on and have a good day.
Crossing back into the U.S. at Sarnia the agent asked about foods, beef, etc. I said no to the usual citrus and such then I thought about the hot dogs in the cooler in the pup. Guy perked up and asked if they were beef dogs. He actually got a little excited because he got to get up and stretch. Took him back and got the hot dogs out and there the two of us were trying to read that little bitty crappy print on the hot dog package. Nope, no beef. Just porky pig arseholes, lips, and the other leftovers. He looked disappointed and let us go on our way.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #29

I have a nexus card. One trip last year from ON to NY, I got picked for a random spot check. They asked a few more specific questions and when the guy said "firewood?" I realized (ugh) that I had a few pieces stored from my last trip, so luckily I said yes before they searched. They made me turn around and go back to canada, dispose of it (I found a park with firepits and left someone a present) then wait in the loooooong lineup again before getting re-inspected. They didn't care about any food, not even the raw dog food.
But luckily, I don't seem to have been flagged, I've been over several times since with zero problems...

Quote:

Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #30

Entering the US from Canada last year we had tomatoes and eggs seized as well as dry dog food. If we had the dog food in its original bag it may have been allowed but it was in a plastic container so the ingredients could not be proven.

I sure don't like sitting in my truck while two people that I have never seen before go through my trailer totally hidden from view. But I guess that is the price you pay to go to another country.
DavenTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenTrish View Post
Entering the US from Canada last year we had tomatoes and eggs seized as well as dry dog food. If we had the dog food in its original bag it may have been allowed but it was in a plastic container so the ingredients could not be proven.

I sure don't like sitting in my truck while two people that I have never seen before go through my trailer totally hidden from view. But I guess that is the price you pay to go to another country.

Still better than having some TSA fat guy feel you up, at the airport!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #32

Bringing food into USA from Canada

We have been given a hard time by USA border guards coming from Ontario into Michigan. They always inspect the fridge even though we have learned to take nothing but condiments and dry packaged goods. No beef or pork. We have been told chicken is ok but don't even try that. Fruit is a definite no, no.

They are often very rude and threatening even though we have never given them a hard time or tried to bring anything not allowed over. It is usually the worst part of the trip. Coming back to Canada the questions are booze and cigarettes. Never a hassle.
Ontario Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #33

I have not been over the border in 5 years, but potatoes were always taken by Canadian customs in the previous 10 years I went. It was that way in Minnesota and also when we crossed in New York once. Coming back from Nova Scotia thru Maine, we were asked about potatoes by US and I asked why... US customs flippant remark was, "they take ours we take theirs". He did not care about the 2 live lobsters or 5 pounds of scallops we had in the cooler.

Got a tongue lashing one year having some leftover brats we took into Canada still in the fridge when returning from Canada one year.

I used to always bring my Canadian friends fresh strawberries and apples and other fruit that was always so expensive up there... never a word from Canadian customs.

I also found they never cared about a cooler full of beer but wanted to always know about cases of beer or liquor so they could collect duty on unopened packages over our limit.

I always wondered how they "disposed" of all those potatoes that were confiscated...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #34

I always wondered how they "disposed" of all those potatoes that were confiscated...

They probably had a fry-up with peppers and onions!

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #35

Heading south on one trip I asked my better half what she had in mind for supper that night.. She said "deer steaks, potatoes, and a salad".... I gave her about 4 WTH looks and she asked "is that ok?"... I asked if she figured we'd tag one after we crossed the border? The look on her face, as she forgot where we were going was priceless.. Fortunately we got asked to come inside before they got to that question.. lol.... The deer steaks were great!!

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #36

Bringing food into US

We live on a border and we find the best thing is to pick up the new list each year from the border agent for food.The only time chicken and eggs are in question is when there is an avian flu outbreak.Tomatoes,red peppers,citrus and some potatoes are never allowed going from Canada into US.We bring as much food as possible and just stop for beer etc and the above items once we are in the U S.
sunseekercamper56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada