Old 03-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #11

yes.. Canada to US is very strict. Detroit is most strict, Buffalo, Niagara Falls is normal strict.

US to Canada coming home, only concerned about alcohol etc. we travel about 4 to 5 times per year and it is very consistant

Old 03-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #12
DDC

I'm sure the US custom guards know that any one who lives in the US will not pay the prices we pay for food stuff. I'd bet they don't fill their gas tanks either.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #13

I was in Niagara Falls NY at the outlet mall just before x-mas, and talked to a store owner. He said that sales we down 60%, becasue canadians were not coming across due to the dollar and the US people were going across to the new outlet mall near Niagara on the lake where they could get a better price for their dollar.. gas is still cheaper in the US
Old 03-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #14

I was a returning American from Victoria to Port Angeles, stupidly admitted to having a couple of tomatoes, got pulled over and inspected.
Found out that they also won't allow open dog food bag, even though it's the same stuff one can buy in the US.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #15

We have been asked how much dog food we have with us but nothing more than a question. It was kind of obvious having a lab in the truck with us. Last year we had eggs taken from us as we entered the US. This was right after the avian flu outbreaks in both countries and both countries are not allowing in cooked poultry products.

The funny part is that we bought the eggs at home in Canada. We crossed into Michigan at Port Huron. Spent one night and We then crossed back into Canada at Sault Ste Marie. We spent some time in northern Ontario and on the return trip back into Michigan and they asked if the trailer was open. He came out with the eggs. We told him we did not know and he gave us a fact sheet on the new rules and stated that both countries are doing this. Next inspection lane over was another trailer and the same scenario was playing out.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
I was a returning American from Victoria to Port Angeles, stupidly admitted to having a couple of tomatoes, got pulled over and inspected.
Found out that they also won't allow open dog food bag, even though it's the same stuff one can buy in the US.
I understand completely the sentiment behind saying it was stupid to admit, but if you had said no and then they decided for whatever reason to inspect and found them life could be much worse than losing a few tomatoes. You did right.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #17

Canada -> USA

Dog Food:
Original Packaging and nothing with Lamb. Be prepared to show package to officer.

Fruits & Vegs:
brought ears of corn last season and was told it was ok if you take the husk off.

Meat:
Nothing with Lamb. I make homemade patties with beef, pork and bacon.

In general I don't take any fruits or vegs and buy from local markets or farms.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #18

Going into Canada, we had to give up all dog dry food and eggs. We had 3 dogs on special diets but it didn't matter. We had been warned to peel potatoes but no one asked.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #19
WFD

The rules vary from province to province in Canada and from State to State on the US side. For example citrus fruit can't be brought from Washington into BC in order to protect the BC fruit growers, yet there is no problem bringing citrus fruit from ND or MN into Manitoba. However the US will not allow citrus fruit from Canada into US. The poultry/chicken restrictions were also different through different areas of the country.
All I am saying is that the rules are not the same through all border crossings.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #20

coming back from Can they took my fruit and going in they stole my chicken!

Tags
canada