Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

Bringing wine to Canada

Hi Folks,

Next week, my wife and I we'll be on our way to Prince Edward Island for seven nights.

I checked to see how much wine we can bring and every online sites says 1.5 liter.
My question is: Is it 1.5 liter PER PERSON or is the limit 1.5 liter per vehicle

Thanks
Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

per person... duty free
if you bring more they just want you to declare it and pay a tax... not a bad thing if you have a personal favorite

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

We have always found that even if we are slightly over the limit ( 1 - 2 bottles each) they aren't bothered so long as you have declared it. Same goes for beer. The limit is a flat per person but on occasions we've brought may be double that amount, declared it and had no issue.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

Better yet, just buy it in Canada and dont have to deal with the issue.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

As others have stated, the limit is 'per person'. However, that person has to be of age to drink in the province you're heading into (19 in most). So you can't pull a "my 3 year old counts as a person so I can bring 6 bottles right?"

We do have some excellent vintages here, so if you're going to drink more than 2 bottles each during your stay, it's a great opportunity to try out the local wineries.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post

Kevin
There's no Canadian wine as good as Napa and Sonoma Valley wines and they would be too expensive to buy them there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:41 AM   #7

Quote:

Kevin

Here are a few reasons why we want to bring our wine to Prince Edward Island.

1-Big difference in price between Canada and the USA when it comes to beer and wine. As an example, the Bella Serra which is a Pinot Grigio from Italy sells for $18.99 for a 750ml bottle in PEI. We pay $12.99 for a 1.5 liter bottle in the USA......$6.00 less for double the quantity.

2- If ever we run out of wine, we will have to go to a liquor store in PEI which is a distance from the campground. Not like in Maine where they sell alcohol everywhere even in pharmacy !
Old 08-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Here are a few reasons why we want to bring our wine to Prince Edward Island.

1-Big difference in price between Canada and the USA when it comes to beer and wine. As an example, the Bella Serra which is a Pinot Grigio from Italy sells for $18.99 for a 750ml bottle in PEI. We pay $12.99 for a 1.5 liter bottle in the USA......$6.00 less for double the quantity.

2- If ever we run out of wine, we will have to go to a liquor store in PEI which is a distance from the campground. Not like in Maine where they sell alcohol everywhere even in pharmacy !
For 1, correct, prices will generally be higher for imports. However, in the Grigio category, we have many excellent domestic vintages as well. (Pinot Grigio happens to be the in-laws favourite so I've drunk quite a few of them over the years.) For 2, you can use this an opportunity to do a bit of a wine tour of the region. There are several wineries right on the island:

https://www.tourismpei.com/wineries-distilleries

And there was an excellent place I found years ago on the way to the bridge to PEI that I believe will be well worth you stopping on the way there to stock up so you don't run out of wine:

Winegarden Estate Ltd. – Winery & Distillery
Old 08-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There's no Canadian wine as good as Napa and Sonoma Valley wines and they would be too expensive to buy them there.

Gotta be careful of what you're saying Dan!

Canadians do have great wines, and just as good as Napa or Sonama Valley...... However, much more expensive.
We do buy our share of wine...... Excluding weekends, we buy three 1.5 liters a week. So, we go for Gallo (Pinot Grigio) for the reason that it is not expensive....$7.99 a bottle in Maine.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
For 1, correct, prices will generally be higher for imports. However, in the Grigio category, we have many excellent domestic vintages as well. (Pinot Grigio happens to be the in-laws favourite so I've drunk quite a few of them over the years.) For 2, you can use this an opportunity to do a bit of a wine tour of the region. There are several wineries right on the island:

https://www.tourismpei.com/wineries-distilleries

And there was an excellent place I found years ago on the way to the bridge to PEI that I believe will be well worth you stopping on the way there to stock up so you don't run out of wine:

Winegarden Estate Ltd. – Winery & Distillery

We will definitely go check wineries on our week to PEI.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:

Kevin

Canada can't grow the grapes to make the wine I like and I'm pretty sure it's not imported to Canada. So two bottles is all I can take.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #12

A number of years ago I had been in Northern CA and was given two bottles of wine. I went on to Kamloops, Canada for some fly fishing. At the border they asked how much alcohol I had, I responded two bottles and they told me it was to much. When I told them that it was a gift for the fishing camp hosts because I knew how much alcohol cost in Canada they said you are correct and have a nice visit.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada