Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Buying Diesel in Canada

I will be traveling from Montana to the Arctic Circle through Canada. I am trying to determine how much Canadian Cash I need to bring. This is mostly contingent on wether the majority of gas stations have cash and credit the same price. Would one of you Canadians please inform me?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
WFD

I have lived in Canada my entire life. It is very rare here to see different prices for cash or credit. We travel to the US lots since we are right on the border, and see it a lot there, but it's rare to see it here.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I will be traveling from Montana to the Arctic Circle through Canada. I am trying to determine how much Canadian Cash I need to bring. This is mostly contingent on wether the majority of gas stations have cash and credit the same price. Would one of you Canadians please inform me?
I haven't experienced any difference in price for cash or credit when buying fuel all across Canada.

As you're travelling up through MT, if you come in to Canada via Alberta the cheapest diesel near Calgary is at Costco on the east side of the city near the 201/17th Ave intersection. They have a big fuel forecourt and every pump has diesel although I tend to pick the set of pumps on the far right (towing a 40', full height 5er). Costco in Grand Prairie (10 hours north) also has diesel for sale.

Right now diesel is $1.12 per litre (CDN) which equates to $4.23 (CDN) per US gal which, at the current exchange rate, equals U$3.39 per gal.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Global Nomad

Thank you both.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Cash or credit is the same price.

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

You will get the best exchange rate using your credit card when traveling internationally.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
One thing that may help you is checking with your credit card(s) issuers to find out what the international transaction fees are. Some charge them and some don't. It might be worth getting a card that doesn't if you don't have one already. You are going to get a 20% discount (based on today's conversion) on anything you purchase with your credit card. Last summer it was 25%. So if fuel is selling for $4.00 per gallon you are really paying under $2.75 per gallon. $3.20 based on the conversion and an additional discount based on the fact a Canadian gallon is bigger than a US gallon. About 20% more.
mandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #8

The annoying thing about refueling in Canada is you have to prepay with even your credit card which prevented me from filling my tank tick-full. Maybe there was a way, but the clerks were closed mouth and mostly non-Canadian, so not good English communicators. All I could do was make multiple trips inside guessing each time as to how much space remained to fill it; I never actually resulted in acheiving a full tank the whole time I was in Canada.

I have to say though that this also happened in America, as I got near the border at two service stations.
ishwashgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishwashgus View Post
The annoying thing about refueling in Canada is you have to prepay with even your credit card which prevented me from filling my tank tick-full. Maybe there was a way, but the clerks were closed mouth and mostly non-Canadian, so not good English communicators. All I could do was make multiple trips inside guessing each time as to how much space remained to fill it; I never actually resulted in acheiving a full tank the whole time I was in Canada.

I have to say though that this also happened in America, as I got near the border at two service stations.
We traveled probably close to 3000 miles in Canada last summer and never had that problem. We traversed Saskatchewan and Alberta, right to the edge of British Columbia and I don't remember one time I couldn't fill my 38 gallon tank. I remember one gas station on an Indian reservation that took my card until I returned.

I want to correct something I said before. You see gas sold by liters, not imperial gallons so I was wrong about that 20% additional discount. After the monetary conversion 4 liters is very close to a gallon.
mandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

I'd recommend being sure your card has a chip and use it. You put it in the pump and indicate how much you want to spend max and pump away. Keeps you having to haul much cash and I never had a problem not being able to fill my 31 gal. tank. Spent time in Alberta last summer and will return this summer.

John C
JOhn_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #11
larryandamy

Diesel in Canada

I took a 16,900 mile trip from San Diego that included 4,000 miles in Canada in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.
I never saw cash and credit prices different. Diesel prices ran between $1.08 to $1.18 Canadian dollar per liter. (that's $3.21 to $3.51 per gallon in US dollars).
I was getting an average of 11.8 MPG. So for 4058 miles, I spent $1293.71 Canadian dollar for diesel in Canada. But I paid on credit 100% of the time. (Which is why I have such accurate numbers).
If you are going to use credit, then make sure the card you use does not charge a foreign transaction fee (2 to 3%) and call ahead letting them know you are traveling so they don't turn your card off. They will anyway most of the time.

Have a great trip!
I am heading back up to Western Canada (Jasper, Banff area) in September/November. The Icefield Parkway drive is probably the most beautiful drive there is. That's what the "experts" say and after driving it, I had to agree, but Road to the Sun in Glacier National Park in Montana and the Richardson Hwy in Alaska are just as awesome.

In 2016 we did an 11,040 mile trip from San Diego up as high as Fairbanks, Alaska and we are going to be going back at least every 2 years. We love Canada!!
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandb View Post
We traveled probably close to 3000 miles in Canada last summer and never had that problem. We traversed Saskatchewan and Alberta, right to the edge of British Columbia and I don't remember one time I couldn't fill my 38 gallon tank. I remember one gas station on an Indian reservation that took my card until I returned
Got dismissed, didn't I...smile...

Babb, Montana; Calgary; town of Banff; Cranbrook; then in Bonners Ferry, Idaho...maybe I wasn't really there when it happened...
ishwashgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

Buying diesel in Canada

If you come across a Flying J in Canada they offer a discount on diesel for paying cash (Usually $0.01 / Liter or $0.038 / US gallon).
WpgCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

"All generalizations are dangerous- even this one"-Alexandre Dumas

Quote:

I've only seen prepayment requirement at a very few outlets. Thanks to modern electrickery and smart dashboards, you should have all the facts to do the math required.

As to the language question- how does that decide nationality or citizenship and who cares? Communication happens when both parties make the effort despite obstacles.

Have a good day.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #15

Something to watch out for: just because the pump handle is green doesn't mean it is diesel! At least one brand has all their pumps, whether gasoline or diesel, the same green color "because it matches the decor of the store"!

Randy (& Elaine) Corbin
georandycorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #16
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgCouple View Post
If you come across a Flying J in Canada they offer a discount on diesel for paying cash (Usually $0.01 / Liter or $0.038 / US gallon).
I find Flying J to be the most expensive gas in an area. I use gas buddy. I usually unhook, then look for inexpensive gas.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #17

We were in the Yukon, as far north as Dawson City,availability, credit and frequency of fuel was not a problem.Just make sure you fill up FULL, every chance you get.We were there past August and September.You have a wonderful trip ahead of you.Don't rush and enjoy the boondocking.All fuel was on a credit card over ninety percent of the time.
model71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #18

Quote:

Diesel (and gasoline) has become extremely expensive in Alberta, mostly due to recent tax increases and this new carbon tax, diesel is as high as $1.239 cad. per liter, so fuel up before you cross the border.
Many Costco gas stations either have long lineups or don't sell diesel and Flying J are so expensive I would only go there if my truck was running on fumes.
All gas stations I'm aware off charge the same whether you pay cash, debit or credit, just make sure your cards are authorized by your bank.
I buy almost all of my diesel at President's Choice (Real Canadian Superstore, No Frills, Extra Foods) with their 7 cts. per liter discount for PC Plus cardholders redeemable at their grocery stores, if you have the time I would suggest you apply for one. The points that my wife and I receive and the perks on their PC World Elite Mastercard are more than we can spend on groceries in a year. Caveat is some of their gas stations are not accessible for big rigs, Gas Buddy and Google Maps is your friend.
All pumps in BC are pre pay (it's the law), in Alberta most let you pay inside or pre pay only at pumps in blind spots.

You may need cash or cheque for some provincial campgrounds but tha't about it. My last bank statement only has one debit transaction on it, everything else is credit and we haven't used cash in quite some time.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #19

in both 2015 and 2017 we traveled thru Canada... and used our Mastercard all of the time. Our card company took care of the monetary valuation difference between the two countries currencies, and added a 3% fee... which usually showed up after several days on our Online account view.
With the currency difference at about 75 to 78% of the US Dollar, and including the fee, we could then use a rough estimate of 0.90cents per liter to equal about $2.75 per US Gallon, a fair and quick way to gauge your 'costs per gallon' in US terms. Roughly speaking. It will certainly fluctuate as the Dollar vs the Canadian dollar, or 'Loonie' and 'Toonie' changes.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:

I have traveled from the west coast of Vancouver Island to the east coast of Newfoundland and north to Dawson City, Yukon and Yellowknife NWT and never had this problem. I have traveled close to 60,000km (38,000miles approx) back and forth across Canada in an RV of one sort or another and never had this problam i suspect your just unlucky. I just stick my card in the pump and fill my truck or previously motorhome.
ramsaytwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, diesel