Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

Call us crazy...Banff & Jasper in September

We just had the great idea to head up to Banff & Jasper in mid September. No, we’ve not made any reservations. We have no idea about what’s available in terms of provincial park campgrounds and private campgrounds. Are we too late???
Help! Any suggestions are SO appreciated. Please don’t say we’re crazy. LOL
Old 08-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #2

Definitely not too late. It’s beautiful in the fall
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDnRo View Post
We just had the great idea to head up to Banff & Jasper in mid September. No, we’ve not made any reservations. We have no idea about what’s available in terms of provincial park campgrounds and private campgrounds. Are we too late???
Help! Any suggestions are SO appreciated. Please don’t say we’re crazy. LOL
I would check parks canada, likely most are closed by then. In Ontario many close weekend after Labour Day.

EDIT; Snow can arrive early too. Mountain travel in an RV is dicey with Snow.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #4

I have camped in both Wapiti and Whistlers campgrounds near Jasper, Alberta. Both are terrific. wapiti is more flat as I recall, Whistlers has some winding roads through some hills. I would call for reservations at either one. The biggest crowds there are during first week of July, Canada Day. The road from Lake Louise to Jasper is as pretty as any road I've ever been on and I've travelled through 49 states. September, though....I wouldn't chance it but that's just me.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

they have campgrounds open year around. I have stayed several times in November
tooclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

We were in Calgary (and Banff) in late July and we were astounded by the 1000+ capacity RV storage yards dotting the landscape. Everyone in Alberta must have one and can't store at home.

We were anecdotally told all the campsites in the Provincial Parks sell out for the season on the first day reservations can be made. Doesn't mean you can't try.

Banff weather data.

Banff is actually an acronym: Busy And Nothing For Free.

-- Chuck
Old 08-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Not crazy at all. The only time I've been to Banff was in September. It was great. Cool nights, saw some snow in higher elevations. Lots of wildlife a d mainly....... The elk come down from the hills and take over the Banff golf course. Do not miss riding through every day you're there. New bull boss each day, bigger than before. Fights and bugling.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

Jasper is almost home

We live 4 hours from the park and have been there at least 300 times. We are headed there again on Friday. Try and book Wapiti or Wabasso. Both are within 10 miles of Jasper town. Both have electrical sites. Whistler is shutdown for the season for refurbishment. This takes about 300 sites out of the mix so you are advised to book a site.

Things to see:

Angel Glacier - great hike spectacular views
Maligne Canyon - great hike great high flow canyon
Maligne Lake - take a cruise down the lake for great scenery
Athabasca Falls - Niagara volume through 20 foot wide canyon
Jasper Park Lodge - Lac Beauvert(beautiful green in English) lives up to the name - hike around the lake and a world class golf course then stop at the dog friendly lodge for a liquid refreshment of your choice - great way to spend the day
Jasper Lake - 10 miles north west of Jasper town - the Athabasca river widens into a flood plain for spectacular mountain vistas
Icefields Parkway - rated one of the top 7 drives in the world
Wilcox pass - great hike for spectacular views of the Ice Fields - hike for 30 minutes to get the first views and then as far as you like from there
Parkers ridge - a saddle back ridge overlooking the Saskatchewan ice river

hope this helps
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
TGR

I was there 9/15/2015 and enjoyed the trip. However, there was a big bicycle rally then and the campgrounds were full. We stayed in overflow parking one night in Banff and then we were able to camp at Lake Louise. Two inches of snow overnight put a damper on things and made bringing in the slide-outs a lot more work. We also had a great time staying at Glacier National Park on the way up and then Devils Tower and Mount Rushmore on the way back. The aspens were turning yellow in Banff and gave us pretty views of the mountains.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #10

We just finished our Summer 2019 trip to Banff (6 nights) and Jasper (4 nights). We camped in Village 2 in Banff (Electric Only), Wabasso in Jasper (No service). There were more places to eat and shop in Banff. But a lot of tourists. So many beautiful places to visit. We loved Jasper better. Smaller town. Still have tourists, but not as busy. BEAUTIFUL lakes.

As someone already mentioned, try booking via Parks Canada. My preference is stay inside National Park campgrounds. I saw some private CG in Jasper. Did not see any around Banff.

We have been to Ontario, Canada and Vancouver B.C. Banff and Jasper are the places we love and enjoyed the most. We are even thinking of flying back this winter and just rent a car in Jasper.

Happy travel.
ADOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #11

Check with Parks Canada website, as I think Wapiti campground in Jasper is closed for the season so it can be upgraded.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

We are just now at Wapiti. Whistlers is now closed for a major renovation.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #13

Fall comes early in Alberta, just be ready for snow. I avoid most National Parks except late in the fall right before most the campgrounds close. Then they are much like the old days.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote