Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Canadian campgrounds

We are considering a trip to Canada next year. Something around Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal. Small towns with character and activities (locally owned shopping, sightseeing, attractions etc). Where did you stay and what did you like or dislike about the campground. What do the different areas have to offer? Tia
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #2

We have been across country to Toronto for the last two years. Finding a good CG close to the city is very limited. Last year the closest and best we could find was the Toronto North KOA. We found the to have quite a bit of road noise from the nearby highway and it is still over an hour to downtown TO.

This year we stayed at Glen Rouge CG in a long pull-thru with water and power (hydro in ON). Technically, this is in TO but only by a few yards. They don't have FHU sites and only a few limited 50amp sites too. With that said, I was happy with the CG. It was clean and well taken care of. It is only a short drive to a rail transit station that quickly takes you to the downtown core, the Rogers Centre and harbour district amongst many others. The CG is convenient for grocery shopping

We found Glen Rouge to be a safe CG and with the current exchange rate, very affordable for US visitors. If you're planning on going at the end of June or start of August make sure you book early due to stat holidays.

We also stayed at GreenAcre CG, Waterloo, ON. This is a vey large, mainly seasonal CG and a long way to downtown TO. I doubt I'd go back here.

TBH, I think I looked at possibly every CG in the GTA and couldn't find a really great place with all amenities but then, that could just be me and the sort of things we wanted.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

I can't address campgrounds near these cities, but living just south of the Canadian border, equidistant between Ottawa and Montreal, I'd recommend Montreal as my first choice as a destination. It's like driving to Europe, especially the Old City where you will find fantastic restaurants, street entertainment, beautiful churches, and boutiques of all kinds. The Metro makes it easy to park on the outskirts of the city and reach virtually anywhere in the city. It is said that in the winter it is possible to never go outside because the Metro is so well connected. And it is reasonable clean. St. Catherine Street is the main shopping venue in the heart of the city.

If you are traveling in spring the Tulip Festival in Ottawa is a must see. Other must sees are the ByWard Market, Parliament Hill and the Museum of Natural History.

Although I've never been, Quebec City is on my bucket list. Smaller than Montreal, it is another Old World city and boasts the only remaining fortified city walls in the U.S. or Canada. Mont Tremblant is nearby.

French is the official language in Montreal and Quebec, but most businesses are bilingual.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #4

I live in Ontario..I don’t have recommendations for Toronto, however would definitely suggest that you look at visiting Prince Edward County and 1000 island region between Toronto and Ottawa/ Montreal. Lots of campgrounds, wineries, artists and local fare. It is a beautiful area to visit!
Lakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegirl View Post
I live in Ontario..I don’t have recommendations for Toronto, however would definitely suggest that you look at visiting Prince Edward County and 1000 island region between Toronto and Ottawa/ Montreal. Lots of campgrounds, wineries, artists and local fare. It is a beautiful area to visit!
The 1000 Islands is beautiful and as she said LOTS of state campgrounds on the side of the border. A boat tour and Boldt Castle in Alexandra Bay is a wonderful way to send a day side trip.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
Canadian Member

In the Toronto area there are a couple KOAs if you want a FHU site but neither is very close to the city. The Glen Rouge campground is on the eastern edge of Toronto. There is also Darlington Provincial Park about a half hour east. Darlington is a more wooden setting than Glen Rouge and the sites are electric only (max. 30A).

In the Ottawa area there aren’t many campgrounds close to the city. We stayed at “Ottawa’s Poplar Grove Campground” in 2013 but it wasn’t a great place, just adequate and quite dated. There is a KOA about an hour south of Ottawa in Cardinal. It’s a nice campground. Hopefully others will have some suggestions for where to stay closer to Ottawa. It’s a fantastic place to visit.

If you want to visit Quebec, I’d recommend Quebec City over Montreal. It’s much more charming than Montreal and oozes with history. You shouldn’t have any trouble speaking English. Just be friendly and respectful. All signs in Quebec are in French only so you’ll need to learn some key words to help you get around. A GPS will help.

If I might make a suggestion, look at Kingston in Ontario. It’s a very charming small city. The former capital of Upper Canada and has a lot of history and a vibrant downtown in the summer. From Kingston, you can drive 20 minutes east to Gananoque and see the 1000 Islands on a tour boat or from the parkway.. There are a couple KOAs in the area (Kingston and Ivy Lea) and a few other private campgrounds.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #7

If you’re willing to go a little more north of Toronto, look at Sauble Beach, Bruce Peninsula and Fathom Five National Parks, then down the Lake Huron shoreline to Pinery (you can take the lighthouse route). Lots of natural beauty and Sauble Beach and Grand Bend (where Pinery is) have lots of cute shops.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4451.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	189528
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #8

Both Quebec City and Montreal are good choices. In Quebec, there is a KOA in Levi's which is less than 1/2 to Quebec City. Montreal also has a KOA on the south shore roughly at the intersection of Hwy 30 and 15 with quick access to the city over the Champlain bridge. Heading towards Ontario Kingston is a great venue with Fort Henry defending the opening to the Rideau Canel system which runs up to Ottawa. Sandbanks and Presquille Prov Parks are nice to visit on your way to or from Toronto.
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Strange title to your thread......

I’m assuming you meant “Canadian campgrounds”

When my wife and I aren’t in the motorhome, we have a property overlooking Lake Ontario here in Prince Edward County. It’s roughly an hour to Kingston, and two hours to Toronto where we lived and worked before retiring here.

BTW.....Prince Edward County boasts over 40 wineries, half dozen or more craft breweries, and one of the largest Cider farms in existence......not that we have a drinking problem.

Major cities like Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City don’t usually have campgrounds nearby because of land pricing, but close by is a relative term.

I can comment/add detail to any of the comments from others about South Central Ontario because it’s our home.

Ask away........we’re all here

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, canada, mpg