Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Always Learning

Canadian cellular talk + data

A friend and his wife (a fulltime family) were saying they'd like to tour Canada but weren't sure about cellular plan offerings. I don't know where they're going but they mentioned "across Canada"... whatever that actually means.

They're currently on a Verizon unlimited data plan (they use probably a 100gb of data a month) for home schooling and him working fulltime.

Are there nationwide providers up there? And anyone that offers unlimited data?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

Here's one, I'm sure there are others!

https://roammobility.ca/
Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

i spend 4 months in Canada every year. Verizon has a US and Canada plan which is pretty similar to the US voice and texting plan...but forget about the data! Last time I checked, Rogers cellular charges $2.05 a MB. That's right $2,000 a GB for data.

best bet is to get a Canadian phone.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
A friend and his wife (a fulltime family) were saying they'd like to tour Canada but weren't sure about cellular plan offerings. I don't know where they're going but they mentioned "across Canada"... whatever that actually means.

They're currently on a Verizon unlimited data plan (they use probably a 100gb of data a month) for home schooling and him working fulltime.

I work for 1 of the nationwide providers Rogers....None of the big 3 providers Rogers, Bell, Telus offer unlimited data to the best of my knowledge.

My advice would be to check with Verizon first and see if they will make the unlimited data North America. My Aunt used to live in the States and when she came back to Canada she kept her unlimited plan and made it North America and I am pretty sure that was with Verizon.

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #5

Rogers Canada has a Plan ,Roam Like Home Plan for Canadians to travel the States or the Caribbean , $5.00 a day max $20.00 a month, check with your carrier
tzh99h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

We are getting ripped off as far as data goes in Canada.

First of all, check this map out showing where the different cell providers have towers.... Canada has about 1/10 of the population of USA and a lot of areas with limited cell coverage.

We use Bell and they have coverage across the country. They are OK but data is expensive. My guess would be that your current provide will have as good a plan as you can get from any provider up here. If you stick with your current provider, make sure to check and see who they use as their carrier up here. Use the map above and check off that carrier to make sure that they have coverage where you want to go.

Bell charges $105 per month (approx $75.00 US) for 20 GB of data. See Rate Plan.

Good Luck
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #7

The max per month is $50, and they nail you hard for data overage. Don't ask how I know this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzh99h View Post
Rogers Canada has a Plan ,Roam Like Home Plan for Canadians to travel the States or the Caribbean , $5.00 a day max $20.00 a month, check with your carrier
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #8

Canada Cell Data

I travelled in Canada last summer and found that there is not a affordable data plan from any of the carriers there. Verizon is very expensive for data also.
The cheapest data I got was from my GM On Star data plan. Had to turn on vehicle when I got online for the trucks hotspot to be used.
Still was about $30 for 3 GB, so no cheap but affordable for what I needed.
FYI, if you connect a PC make sure the updates are turned off so that does no use a bunch of data out of your plan. Get to a free hot spot to do those updates. Libraries or McD's.
speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedozeke View Post
I travelled in Canada last summer and found that there is not a affordable data plan from any of the carriers there. Verizon is very expensive for data also.
The cheapest data I got was from my GM On Star data plan. Had to turn on vehicle when I got online for the trucks hotspot to be used.
Still was about $30 for 3 GB, so no cheap but affordable for what I needed.
FYI, if you connect a PC make sure the updates are turned off so that does no use a bunch of data out of your plan. Get to a free hot spot to do those updates. Libraries or McD's.
add Starbucks and Chapters/Indigo booksellers that are sometimes co-located. The carriers Bell, Rogers and Telus and their subsidaries like Fido etc rape and pillage when it comes to data rates. Lots of Wi Fi hot spots are appearing because of this.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #10

Turn data off and use WiFi.......Buy a Texting and a phone plan from your USA provider
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #11

We are Canadians and have had Verizon for the past 7 years using their US, Canada, Mexico plan and have unlimited Text & Talk. Have unlimited data while in the US. In Canada, it cost $ 25.00 for 250 mb.
We have excellent coverage throughout our travels in Ontario and Manitoba as they use Telus, Bell and Rogers for area coverages.
Therefore, I think the best bet is to stick with Verizon for everything except data and get the Verizon Satellite stick. It works everywhere ( according to friends that have one ) and cost them about $65.00 per month. Not sure how much data that buys, but you could find out from Verizon.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
There is unlimited data in Canada. Wind Mobile which is available in major areas. No Contract. Wind was just purchased by Shaw which is the second largest Cable Co and owns Shaw Direct satellite service.

I am in the midst of getting a Rogers commercial flat rate unlimited modem.$50 a month for this service. I use Rogers and where ever I camp around the Great Lakes or elsewhere always have great coverage. Mush better that I get on ATT roaming in the US. I have a Version hotspot for US use. I use Vonage app on my BlackBerry use wifi for phone calls.I call forward my home and cell numbers to my Vonage VOIP app, which is free as I have Vonage at home.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #13

Phone plans in Canada are $$$. You would be better off using your American plan and adding a plan that allows roaming. Plus most CG offer free Wifi.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote