Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
DDC

Canadian Maritimes

Thinking of touring the Maritimes next summer (if they have one) could I ask for any input from anyone who has done this, I would be traveling from Ontario and would like to see as much as I can.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

We just did a maritime tour. From Montreal (in our Sunseeker) we followed the St. Lawrence to Rivičre du Loup. Their municipal CG is highly recommended (online site for reservations). Stayed with friends near Bathurst N.B. Then to Charlottetown P.E.I, stayed at Cavendish Beach KOA (also good CG). Visited the Anne of Green Gables site very close by. Toured the beaches and the city, took the Confederation Bridge back to N.B. ($46.00 return trip). Saw the Tidal Bore near Moncton and stayed at Ponderosa Pines CG near Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy. Back through Moncton to Nova Scotia , eventually to North Sydney for the short ferry to Port aux Basques NL. Had reserved at Cheesman PP to avoid driving in moose country at night.
Scenery on way to Gros Morne is fabulous! Stayed at a small B&B/CG in Cow Head (north edge of Gros Morne Park.
Headed east to a great CG (Sanger Memorial) in Grand Falls - Windsor. Nice birch trees, roomy sites. On to Twillingate and Bonavista Bay looking for ice burgs (in July). A night in Terra Nova National Park and then to Pippy Park CG in Saint Johns. Visited the city and Signal Hill, and the "jelly bean" houses all painted different colours. On to Argentia and aboard the long ferry (overnight trip) back to North Sydney. Excellent ferry trips both ways. The long one is bigger with more features. We had a double berth both ways which was very restful.
North Sydney to Halifax West KOA for a few days. Visited Halifax, Pier 21, downtown, etc. Stopped at Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg, Port Royal and Fort Royal (built by the French).
From Halifax back to N.B. And stop a Mactaquac PP, west of Fredericton (a beautiful old Loyalist city). Back to R du Loup and then home in Montreal.
We reserved all stops long before the trip. NL can be very cold even in July, bring all weather gear.
We were out for three weeks, could easily be twice that to see more. We know N.B. but wanted to see PEI and NL this time.
Great trip, Sunseeker worked well all the way. Never realized how hilly that part of the country is!
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:54 AM   #3

Road Stories
This link is from a post from Capt Mike. This is his blog on his trip to the maritime's

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

Last year we spent nearly two weeks at PEI National Park (Cavendish) - a beautiful park with great access to the ocean. We were blessed with hot weather the whole time and were in the water just about every day.

I second Zooming's recommendation for the Riviere-du-Loup campground - Camping municipal de la Pointe de Riviere-du-Loup - great CG.

Photos here and here

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
DDC

Thank you all, this was exactly what I was looking for. I like the part Zooming has about all weather clothes, being Scottish I grew up going camping with four season gear as you never new which day summer would be on or if it was going to be in the morning or afternoon. I am just starting to plan this trip figuring late July early August would take a little risk out of it weather wise.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

This sounds very interesting. Just don't forget about Goshen. Also, is the snow melted by August up there?

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbubba View Post
This sounds very interesting. Just don't forget about Goshen. Also, is the snow melted by August up there?
You don't get to look at icebergs in the Caribbean.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
You don't get to look at icebergs in the Caribbean.
Yea, but we are not going to the Caribbean, we be going to Canada.

What could go wrong?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
DDC

Quote:
Yea, but we are not going to the Caribbean, we be going to Canada.
Exactly! you might see snow. Warmish snow.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:46 AM   #10
CWG

Three or four days at the most for PEI and spend the rest of the time between NB and NS. Fundy National Park is nice and lots to see in the area. Nova Scotia is have the longest dry spell in history for the region and this had been a trend the last few summers, so you may want to reserve some beach campgrounds in that province. Have fun.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Road Stories
This link is from a post from Capt Mike. This is his blog on his trip to the maritime's

Hope this helps Tim

Here is a link to another edition of ROAD STORIES, about the Prince Edward Island portion of our trip to the Maritimes.

Road Stories: Cradle On The Waves
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
Canadian Member

We went to the Maritimes in 2013 but unfortunately didn't have time to go to Newfoundland. These were the places on our "must see" list (in the order we visited them):

Hopewell Rocks, NB
Confederation Bridge from NB to PEI
Cavendish, PEI (Anne of Green Gables Village)
Charlottetown, PEI
Cabot Trail, Cape Breton, NS
Fortress Louisbourg, Cape Breton, NS
Halifax, NS
Peggy's Cove, NS
Lunenburg, NS

We also spent a couple days in Quebec City on the way there.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #13

To avoid Montreal traffic, 401 will become Hwy 20 in Quebec. Before you get to Montreal follow Hwy 30 south (small toll road) but gets you on the south shore and meets up with the 20 around Boucherville
Great Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #14

I used to go camping here when I was a kid, lots of great memories, it would be the first place I would go when I go back.
It was a long time ago hopefully it's still a nice place to camp.
Ovens Natural Park
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
We just did a maritime tour. From Montreal (in our Sunseeker) we followed the St. Lawrence to Rivičre du Loup. Their municipal CG is highly recommended (online site for reservations). Stayed with friends near Bathurst N.B. Then to Charlottetown P.E.I, stayed at Cavendish Beach KOA (also good CG). Visited the Anne of Green Gables site very close by. Toured the beaches and the city, took the Confederation Bridge back to N.B. ($46.00 return trip). Saw the Tidal Bore near Moncton and stayed at Ponderosa Pines CG near Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy. Back through Moncton to Nova Scotia , eventually to North Sydney for the short ferry to Port aux Basques NL. Had reserved at Cheesman PP to avoid driving in moose country at night.
Scenery on way to Gros Morne is fabulous! Stayed at a small B&B/CG in Cow Head (north edge of Gros Morne Park.
Headed east to a great CG (Sanger Memorial) in Grand Falls - Windsor. Nice birch trees, roomy sites. On to Twillingate and Bonavista Bay looking for ice burgs (in July). A night in Terra Nova National Park and then to Pippy Park CG in Saint Johns. Visited the city and Signal Hill, and the "jelly bean" houses all painted different colours. On to Argentia and aboard the long ferry (overnight trip) back to North Sydney. Excellent ferry trips both ways. The long one is bigger with more features. We had a double berth both ways which was very restful.
North Sydney to Halifax West KOA for a few days. Visited Halifax, Pier 21, downtown, etc. Stopped at Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg, Port Royal and Fort Royal (built by the French).
From Halifax back to N.B. And stop a Mactaquac PP, west of Fredericton (a beautiful old Loyalist city). Back to R du Loup and then home in Montreal.
We reserved all stops long before the trip. NL can be very cold even in July, bring all weather gear.
We were out for three weeks, could easily be twice that to see more. We know N.B. but wanted to see PEI and NL this time.
Great trip, Sunseeker worked well all the way. Never realized how hilly that part of the country is!

That's insane!

We spent three weeks on PEI alone (and not a single day just "on the beach"), and we've been in NL for a week and have only made it up to Corner Brook from the short ferry at Port aux Basque. I don't know how everyone does the Maritimes so quickly... I guess we're just slow.
MaybzNDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #16

Following this thread because it is something we may consider for next year - although it's a long way from AB so way may cut it short and head to NY and the US NE coastal states.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #17

Maritimes Frog registration is now open. I know of 3 knuckle heads that are planning on going.

What could go wrong?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
DDC

Quote:
Maritimes Frog registration is now open. I know of 3 knuckle heads that are planning on going.
I knew those bumps on your head would eventually get explained
Old 01-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #19
CWG

Quote:
Well come on down as there is a lot to see. I retired to Nova Scotia and last year we did a NS, NB and PEI tour and had a great old time. Expanded it to Ottawa, Montreal and then Quebec City for good measure! From what we were told last year we are researching the Gaspe Bay Area this summer.

Tell me more please. Where and when is the rally in the Maritimes?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #20

Canadian Maritimes

We did the Maritimes last summer. Really enjoyed every moment. Take the time to visit Newfoundland & Labrador. It was the highlight of the trip. Even got to kayak around an iceberg.

Here is a thread on our trip. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador Trip
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=125101