Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #21

We went from Minnesota to Alaska via the Alaskan highway during the summer of 2016. I have an AT&T phone as my main phone and T-Mobile as a backup phone. The AT&T phone worked fine through much of Canada until we got on the Alaskan highway in British Columbia, then it was almost useless until we got to Alaska. The T-Mobile back up phone worked much better along the Alaskan highway than the AT&T phone but there were certainly many dead spots with that phone also.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #22
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
We are hoping to head to Alaska too. I went on AT&T website, and they said I was already covered.
Check your coverage, when I went to the AT&T store today, they say I am covered for an additional $10.00 a day, that is $300.00 a month
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #23
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
just change your service plan to Unlimited Plus and you'll have unlimited service while you are there, and can change back to your 'regular' plan, if you wish, when you return... works great. Went all thru Canada, Alaska, and back into the states via Montana and Idaho before returning to GA... liked it so much we just kept it!
I assume you are talking about Verizon?

Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #24
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
This is probably quite true. There are two major cell phone technologies out there, CDMA and GSM. ATT uses GSM.

Apple makes 2 kinds of iPhones, to support the 2 kinds of technology. They have different radios in them to work with the different bands. (Technically, there's more to it than that, but for this discussion, let's refer to them as just two separate phones.) Since you have an ATT phone, it only works on GSM and doesn't have the necessary radioes to work with CDMA.

But, let's step back and look at what you're looking for. Is it just basic cell coverage while you travel through Canada? So, like, maybe a week or two's worth? Perhaps you just need to get ATT to unlock your phone, then you can pick up a pay as you go phone from a compatible provider in Canada. Among the big 3, Rogers is the GSM provider, so take a look here: https://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...er#,Tabset1--1

If it's really just an emergency use thing, then you can go as low as $10 for a month's access.

Thank you. Actually I write a daily blog, so I need the I-Phone 6, which is the hotspot for my computer. When we went full time 2 and half year ago, I got AT&T and my wife Verizon, our thinking one or the other will have coverage. That has worked out good.

As someone said earlier, I switch to Verizon unlimited for $25.00 more a month which has coverage in Canada.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I am going to Alaska by way of Canada. I am on AT&T, but their Canada plan is expensive. I went to T-Mobile who has a good price, but they say my I Phone 6 is not compatible with their system. I find this hard to believe. I am now in Montana. Any one in Montana have T-Mobile using an I Phone 6?
Probably true. I have an I phone 6 and was recently in Arizona and going to buy a plan at Walmart, the sales clerk said my phone was not likely compatible because of its age.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
ROGERS CANADA CELL SERVICE IS ATT U.S. OUR PHONE TURNS OVER AUTOMATICALLY WHEN WE CROSS OVER FROM U.S. TO CANADA . THATS IN ONTARIO CA. TO ,NEW YORK CANT SAY ABOUT REST OF CANADA.
Michigan to Ontario and Maine to New Brunswick as well

2016 Ram 1500 4X4 ( 3.92 / 5.7 Hemi )

Andersen Hitch
johnnyice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada