Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

Crossing into canada

We've been to Canada lots of times but never with a rv. Just looking for any tips on doing so. We will have our toy hauler with our motorcycle in it to visit friends in Michigan. Going through Canada is much shorter for us. Thanks
Jeramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

We've been back and forth across the border, with/without RV, motorcycle etc over the years.

Just have copies of all vehicle registration, insurance, etc. available in case they ask. I made photo copies of paperwork for RV, tow vehicle, trailer, motorcycle and put them on one 8"x12" piece of paper. Makes things easier for border staff, but have the originals if needed beyond that.

More questions? Just ask.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

You'll need a passport or NEXUS card:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...he.Border.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #4

If there are dogs (and probably cats too???), make sure to have a Rabies vac paper for all......

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #5

Make sure you friends Smith and Wesson don't ride their Colt across the 49th... They'll get held up and put out to pasture.. And I doubt that you'll be making the trip much further north...

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Make sure you friends Smith and Wesson don't ride their Colt across the 49th... They'll get held up and put out to pasture.. And I doubt that you'll be making the trip much further north...
Yep.....leave them at home for this trip.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #7

Weird!!! Came into Canada today via 93 into BC from Montana.
Had all paperwork ready to go, doggie papers, veh papers, and proper firearm declaration.
Got asked about 7 questions, went inside and paid 25 buck fee, and was out in no time at all, maybe 15 minutes total.
The only document I was asked for was a passport.
Guess it's just when or where you cross and the border personnel you deal with.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Had all paperwork ready to go, doggie papers, veh papers, and proper firearm declaration.
Got asked about 7 questions, went inside and paid 25 buck fee, and was out in no time at all, maybe 15 minutes total.
Grumpy
And maybe what/who you look like!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #9

Quote:

Grumpy

What was fee for ?
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
What was fee for ?

Maybe something to do with his firearm.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Grumpy
I think you nailed it with :Guess it's just when or where you cross and the border personnel you deal with.

I would be surprised if someone had the same experience coming from/to Detroit/Windsor or NY State/Ontario

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #12

No thanks.

My sisters son-in-law and 5 of his buddies booked a fishing trip up in Canada last year...about $10,000 in total cost. Got to border...were asked tons of questions...one was about arrest's...one gentleman told agent he'd had a misdemeanor DUI in 1987...and all 6 were denied entry. Fishing company refused to refund money....No Thanks...I'll stay here.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

I would say it's how you present yourself, how you respond to their questions that has an effect on THEIR response back at you.
We're two seniors, two small dogs. Questions were about cash over 10 grand (no), alcohol (beer and wine), selling or leaving anything in Canada (no), purpose for visit (enroute to Alaska), length of stay (2-3 weeks), and any illegal/prohibited firearms (handguns, magazines, auto weapons) (no).
Carrying a legal pump shotgun and had proper paperwork filled out, in triplicate. Presented it to customs person, was charged a 25 buck fee for temp license/permit (good for 60 days) and was on my way. They never asked to see any other paperwork/documents other than our passports. Never entered our Lexi, asked about our dogs, food, and never checked firearm.
Our traveling friends, in their class a, right behind us, went through the exact same procedure, questions, ect.
We answered all their questions with short, direct answers, most were yes/no responses.
But who knows.....the next rig behind us may have had to go thru a complete "strip search".
It's up to them.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #14

Crossing into Canada and back to USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeramy View Post
We've been to Canada lots of times but never with a rv. Just looking for any tips on doing so. We will have our toy hauler with our motorcycle in it to visit friends in Michigan. Going through Canada is much shorter for us. Thanks
Check your rig for prohibited items. Coming back from P.E.I the US customs confiscated two Canadian bell peppers from the fridge. We try to have only canned and purchased items in the store packaging per the advice given. Buy anything else after border crossing. Have all paper work ready. Remove your sunglasses. If your TV has tinted windows roll front AND back down to give a clear view into vehicle. Answer directly and look the agent directly in the eye. Do not try to answer any question directed at a passenger. Don't try to be funny, they have no sense of humor. Follow all instructions without delay. They have a job to do and are well trained. They have seen it all and will be professional. They appreciate it if your are prepared when asked to pull up for the interview. Fumbling around and causing a delay can get you sent for a more through inspection. They usually end with "Enjoy your stay in Canada"

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #15

From what I've read, an arrest for a misdemeanor without proof on your possession that you were not convicted may be grounds for being barred entry into Canada.

With the epidemic of bell pepper overdoses in the USA, I can see why Canadian bell peppers were confiscated at the US Border.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
From what I've read, an arrest for a misdemeanor without proof on your possession that you were not convicted may be grounds for being barred entry into Canada.

Yeah. It been to Canada several times and was never asked about misdemeanor convictions... but have read on Canada's website that you cannot enter if you have any.

My impression of Canada goes down more and more as time goes on.

I guess lying is the best approach!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post

With the epidemic of bell pepper overdoses in the USA, I can see why Canadian bell peppers were confiscated at the US Border.

Good one .
No fresh produce, vegetables, fruit, meat and meat products unless store bought sealed at an approved facility and unopened. The same rules apply both ways. You can't even bring an apple grown in Washington state that was bought in Canada back into the US either.
We prefer the small crossings, no wait times and much more relaxed atmosphere.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Yeah. It been to Canada several times and was never asked about misdemeanor convictions... but have read on Canada's website that you cannot enter if you have any.

It's the same for us going the other way across the border and getting worse.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #19

Canadian border asked us four or five questions then told me to try to follow the road signs while in Canada, said I was supposed to stop at the light and turn off engine. I didn't see the light. We got to the US side and border patrol came out and said I was to tall and to back up, I ran over two of there cones, the sign said rv, I didn't see how tall
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

I think that you will find similar restrictions in place for non US citizens wanting to enter the US. No government, of any nation, wants to allow people with a criminal background in to their country. The border agents are simply enforcing this welcome policy on both sides of the border.

As for those who feel their rights are being impeded because they are not allowed to bring their handguns or other restricted weapons in to Canada, look at it from another perspective. Here in Canada we are fortunate enough to live in a society in which we feel that we can move around without the need to carry a firearms to defend ourselves. The violent crime rate here is significantly lower than in the US. As a Canadian citizen I certainly feel more vulnerable being in the US where it is known that I am not permitted to carry a firearm. That certainly paints a target on my back for those looking to commit a crime where they know for sure that I do not have the means to protect myself, my family or my property.
For those who are bringing their long guns legally in to Canada for hunting or sporting purposes, there are no problems just so long as the correct documentation is done in advance and correctly declared - with the appropriate admin fees of course. Again, similar restrictions apply to Canadians entering the US for legitimate purposes.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada