Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Crossing the border at Calais ME

Anyone crossed the border there, either way? Going to Nova Scotia in August and staying at Cove Oceanfront Campground. Seeing we live in NH we will opt out of using the ferry.
Thanks,
David
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

yep... it's a breeze.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #3

Following, crossing at Calais, ME Sept 7, 2019, our first border crossing. New Brunswick, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and returning to US Sept 17, 2019.
Equalizer E4 - 600 TW, 6000 GTW
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #4

I wouldn't worry about going 'in' to Canada, it's the coming 'out' to the US that usually results in trials and aggravation and searches.... just sayin'....we're livin' proof.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #5

We are stopping for the night there. Just happens to be a boondocking friendly Walmart in Calais. Got the info from Allstays. So the roads after must be good.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Calais/St. Andrews NB crossing

Couple of comments.

We, as Canadians can make the same statement that quite often our most inquisitive dealings at the border are getting back to our own country, just like lots of Americans will tell you the same. If we forego the entire topic of guns crossing the border, I’ll bet there’s a lot of agreement here. Most times, your own border officials want to know what you’re bringing back that you may not WANT to tell us about. Just sayin’.

As far as crossing at St. Andrews/Calais....no troubles. We done both directions several times.

We too did NOT use the ferry to cross over from New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.....their pricing for vehicles (based on length) is crazy. I didn’t want to BUY the ferry, just take a ride!

An absolutely gorgeous Campground just inside the Canadian side is named Kiwanis Ocenafront Camping. The Maritme FROG Rally stopped in there last year, and along with ourselves, you won’t find a nicer place in St. Andrews. Do yourself a favour and book at least 2 nights to take in the sights of St. Andrews and the surrounding area.

If you don’t believe me.....just ask anyone that FROGGED there.

BTW....your American dollar goes almost 30% further with the exchange rate in your favour. Happy shopping.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

I have no issues crossing the border coming or going, just sayin' (lol)
Imma gonna look into that campground you mentioned. Thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

When dealing with the border agents be sure to look everywhere before pulling out. Going into Canada from Detroit DW was behind the wheel. She was talking to the officer when he said "OK, You may go." There was another officer bent over at the right front corner looking at something, never found out what. As she put the vehicle in drive I had to tell her to stop or she would have hit him. I can just imagine what would have happened if we were pulling a trailer and one of them was at the rear corner of the tv.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

We ha an issue there a few years ago. I don't know if its changed, but a new, large border crossing opened a bit north of Calais center. The crossing in town still existed at the time. On entering Calais we came to a sign that said something like "all trucks to Canada turn left here." We weren't in a truck, and since there was no low clearance sign. we continued straight. As soon as we pulled into the Canadian booth we saw a sign ahead of us that said 12 foot (as I recall) clearance. The nice Canadian border guard stopped traffic and let us turn around. But we then had to go back to the US through the US entry. The US Border guy asked the usual question: "How long were you in Canada?" I answered "Five minutes." I had some 'splainin' to do, but he let us through and gave us directions to the new, high clearance, crossing point. As I said, I don't know if the situation is the same, but if you have anything bigger than a Class B and come to a sign indicating all trucks need to turn...turn.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Couple of comments.

An absolutely gorgeous Campground just inside the Canadian side is named Kiwanis Ocenafront Camping. The Maritme FROG Rally stopped in there last year, and along with ourselves, you won’t find a nicer place in St. Andrews. Do yourself a favour and book at least 2 nights to take in the sights of St. Andrews and the surrounding area.

What Ken said ^^^^^^^ We've camped at Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping twice...three years ago with another couple, and last year with 23 RVs when we hosted the FROG "Great times in the Maritimes" caravan. An beautiful campground in an absolutely wonderful little town. Do yourself a favor and add both Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping and Saint Andrews By-The-Sea.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #11

The crossing is easy. The roads are excellent in Canada. The connector from the border puts you on the trans-Canada highway. The best route to Calais is 95 to Bangor and route 9 to the border. The most important thing to know about the crossing is weapons of any kind are prohibited. The Canadian authorities will search if they have any suspicion or reasons to think you may have a gun or other weapon with you. Also if you travel with a pet make sure you have the required medical clearance. Enjoy your trip. Many caravans cross at Calais so they are well versed in how to get you through as quickly as possible. Don’t be surprised if you have to wait in line for an hour each way.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Here's an important video for you to watch before you cross the border at that location. If bad language upsets you, well, I don't know what to tell you, so watch at your own risk. It is short.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #13

We cross at Buffalo from Canada lots and have never had a problem either way. Be honest and they will be good to you.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I wouldn't worry about going 'in' to Canada, it's the coming 'out' to the US that usually results in trials and aggravation and searches.... just sayin'....we're livin' proof.

Exactly. I will not go to Canada in a RV for that reason. When I go by car, I always get searched trying to return. I have had enough and refuse to have an RV searched.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #15

Calais

No problem going in to Canada. Coming back, they boarded both our rigs, but it was pleasant. The guard used the walkie talkie of the first rig to talk to me and asked them my dog's name (they warned him my dog might be protective). When it was my turn, he talked to my dog (and me). A crew (trainees maybe?) boarded, but we're guessing only checked the contents of the refrigerator. We did stop soon after getting in to US to be sure they closed the refrigerators. Going to Canada, they only wanted to see the rabies certificate even though I offered all records. Also how much cash I had.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #16

Hwy. 9 from Bangor to Calais has beautiful scenery but man does it twist and turn, up and down. Seems like there’s no end to it.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Here's an important video for you to watch before you cross the border at that location. If bad language upsets you, well, I don't know what to tell you, so watch at your own risk. It is short.
Bad language? My daughter has listen to it all day ----- from the kids at the elementary school where she works.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

I know, I know!! But there are some sensitive adults here that might get there panties in a bunch. My sense of humor is not to everyone's liking sometimes!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Couple of comments.

We, as Canadians can make the same statement that quite often our most inquisitive dealings at the border are getting back to our own country, just like lots of Americans will tell you the same. If we forego the entire topic of guns crossing the border, I’ll bet there’s a lot of agreement here. Most times, your own border officials want to know what you’re bringing back that you may not WANT to tell us about. Just sayin’.

As far as crossing at St. Andrews/Calais....no troubles. We done both directions several times.

We too did NOT use the ferry to cross over from New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.....their pricing for vehicles (based on length) is crazy. I didn’t want to BUY the ferry, just take a ride!

BTW....your American dollar goes almost 30% further with the exchange rate in your favour. Happy shopping.
Ditto the town, the campground and the scenery & whale watching out of St. Andrews are awesome...GLAD we stopped before heading to NS & PEI.

Would also not miss St. Johns and the scenic highway & reversing falls on the way to NS.

No problems with the road or the borders.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #20

I have no issues crossing either way. I just wanted to make sure the roads
after were good and that has been answered.

I had border duty in the Army, somewhat different, hoofing an M60 up some mountains in the winter was not my idea of a good time.