Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
P.S. Crossing into Mexico is easy unless you get the red light.

Chuck & Denise + Pata a.k.a the campground Gladys Karvitz
He is a picker, photographer, hiker. She is a quilter.
Both big nature lovers.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
All countries have the "right" to refuse entry to anyone with a criminal history, no matter how long ago it may have been, they have no way of knowing if you will do it again or not.
really??? 1 strike and you are out? I guess then that only perfect people can travel abroad...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Have crossed the US-Canada border many times and the only issue we ever had was heavy traffic. I suspect there is some heavy duty profiling going on, so don't do anything to raise any eyebrows. That includes what you say and how you say it. If you act like a smart ass, you deserve what you get.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

It is harder to get back in the US than to enter Canada in my experiences. The US will take your beef from you if purchased in Canada.
RETIREDATLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
Scary that so much is at the discretion of individual officers. He or she has the power to exclude you from the country permanently without appeal. I have always found crossing into the USA intimidating. I have read of recent changes in disclosure on both sides that has resulted in historical convictions that had never been an issue in the past now being picked up. Just spoke to a couple who have owned Florida property for years without issue who now cannot go because of a 40 year old pot charge.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #16
Friends of ours took a shortcut through Canada to go from Minnesota to Ohio with their travel trailer. On paper it seemed to save them a lot of gas. At a check point they were randomly chosen for a search and...stored deep within their trailer was an unloaded pistol. Big mistake. It was discovered and they were taken in (not arrested but detained). We learned from their experience it's best never to enter any foreign country during your travels if you can avoid it. Keep these thoughts in mind:

Your cell phone may not work
Your health insurance may not cover you
Your auto insurance may not cover you
You may be detained or arrested for any contraband
Duty may be required for wine or liquor in your trailer
Your trailer service agreement may not be honored

The list goes on. It's best to know the answer to all these questions before you cross the border and if there are any concerns stay in your residential country.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.

2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #17
Why our southern border a sieve, while our northern border is not. Just doesn't make sense to me. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #18
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Why our southern border a sieve, while our northern border is not. Just doesn't make sense to me. Just sayin'
No kidding right. It is not by accident but by pure political design...for sure.

Never seen any illegal Canadians packed like sardines into the back of a stolen F-350 either....
2004 Cedar Creek 34CTKS heavily customized
2006 Ford F350 FX4 Lariat Dually w/tow boss
1999 Lance 1110...cause it's easier for short trips.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
2003 Georgetown 325
I was born and raised in Canada and have been back and forth many times. I have never had a bad experience. My answers are always, yes sir; no sir or yes ma'me or no ma'me or answer their questions with respect. Disrespect or getting mouthy is a sure way of putting your butt in a sling going either way. Stay safe 'and have a nice day.'
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #20
Entering Canada can be tough. We were visiting Detroit, MI some years ago and planned to camp in Windsor, Ontario. We had done this many times. A real nice campground and it was actually closer than the closest campgrounds in and around Detroit. Crossing into Canada they had us pull into an inspection area. They ask if we had any weapons, I told them no, but identified myself as a reserve sheriff's deputy from Tennessee and showed them my ID and badge. Told them we knew we planned to camp in Canada, I knew their laws so I did not bring any weapons. They went through my TV and trailer with a fine tooth comb, including my wife, daughter and daughter's friend's purses. I finally told them, if it was going to be such a problem we would just camp in Michigan. They said that would be best. We turned around and crossed back into Michigan. The Canadian border folks called the US folks and we had to go through the same thing again. The non border crossing took about 4 hours.

tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote