Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #21

We go to Mexico all the time. Leaving tomorrow night and coming back on the 8th. My house is in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). Like a previous posted stated, don't even get caught with a spent casing. They are very serious. Never had a problem going in. They check VIN numbers on truck and dirt toys once in a while and the papers for our dogs. Never hassled though. Going back into states is easy too. I think they profile. If you don't have a passport, they will use your driver's license, but it slows the line down.

Entered Canada the last two summers on a street bike. They check background before you can enter. Last summer a friend and I rode from Phoenix to Prudhoe Bay on adventure bikes. We left and entered Canada several times and the only time we got searched was leaving Hyder AK to enter Stewart BC to get some dinner. Hyder is on a dead end road.

Guns are allowed as long as you have the right paperwork filled out and approved before you hit the border. There are restrictions on what is allowed also. Info is all over the net. I gave up and decided not to carry because of the hassle.

Transported .44 magnum and ammo on a plane once to Alaska because we were going to be camping. No hassle with that.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #22

Wow...figure it out....no guns.. no records of any kind...be nice...and enjoy our beautiful country.
Oh ...keep your eyes open in toronto...there are a few crazies with weapons pulled in from chicago

Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #23
Usually Confused Member

I've been through customs points all over the world and the USA is far and above the biggest hassle. On the other extreme the easiest and fastest is China.

Go figure

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #24

And yet they spend money on trying to attract tourist $$.

Go figure.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #25

Going to Alaska and I have smoked pot a long time ago and I know I'm not to smart. I was born at night but it was not last night, if a border official would ask me if I had ever smoked pot you think I would say yes. Talk about a dumb question

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #26

We used to visit Toronto often. Great city and the theater is less expensive and as good or better than Broadway. Much safer too.
During the 80s and 90s I ran fishing charters in the Great Lakes, Mostly Erie but a few on Ontario. I also belonged to the USCG Aux and was friends with many coasties, my boat was offered and inspected as an Operational Vessel. Once the Canadian CG accused us of fishing on Canadian waters which was untrue. I knew where I was and certain they did too. Called the USCG on the radio and was told not to run, maintain heading, and do not permit them to board. Harassment continued when it was said a 41' boat was on the way. They broke off when it was said a helo was launched. The USCG investigated and took my Loran C which showed my track and the grid. Evidence was offered and declined. We have not been back to Canada since.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #27

When crossing from the US to Canada if you have a conviction for an offence that has an equivalent under the Canadian Criminal Code then you may be denied entry. These are usually 'felony crimes' in the US. Misdemeanours don't usually apply. So a conviction for a theft in the US has an equivalent offence in Canada and will most likely prevent you from entering. The same reciprocal arrangements apply travelling in to the US.

Rather than being refused entry, which stays on your profile, you are often offered the option of withdrawing your application to enter the country to which you are travelling. This allows you to return and try to clear up the issue.

Both Canadians & US citizens should be appreciative of the efforts their border agents are taking to prevent the unilateral movement of 'less desirable' migrants. Just take a look at Europe since the border controls were de-regulated within the EU. Citizens can travel between EU countries with minimal restrictions, criminals included. As a retired UK cop I noticed a huge spike in crime after the deregulation. Much of which was caused by the import of foreign criminals travelling around the EU on a crime tour.

Customs and Border agents (of which ever nationality) are not known for the sense of humour. Several years ago while crossing from Canada in to the US my elderly mother made some light hearted remark, "Ho ho, not the first time you've had your fingerprints taken is it Richard?" when the US agent asked if I'd ever had my fingerprints taken before. What she was referring to and what took a great deal of explanation was that I was a police officer in the UK and had my prints and DNA taken for elimination purposes.

At my last police station (Heathrow Airport - Counter Terrorist Unit) I often had the task of arresting US citizens for breaching the tough UK firearms laws by virtue of the fact they were often in possession of live ammunition (mainly found in sports holdalls where they kept their hand guns at home) or they had with them a can of mace (prohibited weapon under UK FA law) on a key fob. These were in their possession and found as they attempted to leave the UK mainly bound for the return journey. Most often, the person was de-arrested and cautioned for the offence. This wasn't classed as a conviction but satisfied the bean counters who could show this as both a crime and a 'clear-up' - meaning the crime had been solved.

I will be crossing in to the US within the next few weeks. By being respectful of their position and truthful in the answers I provide, I don't anticipate any problems - just have to remember not to try and cross while in possession of tomatoes purchased in Canada.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #28

There is much speculation regarding why some are intensively checked and others are not; priors, profiling (those rednecks from FL and TX, that would be me, ALL carry guns), database indicators, etc.
When the wife and I entered Canada last year our IDs were examined and the inquisition began. We were asked repeatedly if we were carrying weapons, which we were not, and told in no uncertain terms that Canada made no provision for armed self defense. We were sent to secondary, ordered into the HQ and questioned together and then individually. The contents of our vehicle were removed, spread across the parking area, and thoroughly searched. The camper was searched by three agents. They were professional, nothing was damaged, items were repacked as they were for the most part.
Neither of us have any sort of record, not even a speeding ticket. I have a CCW permit which was cleared through the FBI database. Still, this was quite unsettling for a couple of old fart teachers. We also sweated over being detained for items normally used for camping/hiking, i.e. fixed blade belt knife, bear spray. It also added well over an hour to our trip for the day.
Canada is beautiful, but not sure if I would do it again.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
When crossing from the US to Canada if you have a conviction for an offence that has an equivalent under the Canadian Criminal Code then you may be denied entry. These are usually 'felony crimes' in the US. Misdemeanours don't usually apply. So a conviction for a theft in the US has an equivalent offence in Canada and will most likely prevent you from entering. The same reciprocal arrangements apply travelling in to the US.

Rather than being refused entry, which stays on your profile, you are often offered the option of withdrawing your application to enter the country to which you are travelling. This allows you to return and try to clear up the issue.

Both Canadians & US citizens should be appreciative of the efforts their border agents are taking to prevent the unilateral movement of 'less desirable' migrants. Just take a look at Europe since the border controls were de-regulated within the EU. Citizens can travel between EU countries with minimal restrictions, criminals included. As a retired UK cop I noticed a huge spike in crime after the deregulation. Much of which was caused by the import of foreign criminals travelling around the EU on a crime tour.

Customs and Border agents (of which ever nationality) are not known for the sense of humour. Several years ago while crossing from Canada in to the US my elderly mother made some light hearted remark, "Ho ho, not the first time you've had your fingerprints taken is it Richard?" when the US agent asked if I'd ever had my fingerprints taken before. What she was referring to and what took a great deal of explanation was that I was a police officer in the UK and had my prints and DNA taken for elimination purposes.

At my last police station (Heathrow Airport - Counter Terrorist Unit) I often had the task of arresting US citizens for breaching the tough UK firearms laws by virtue of the fact they were often in possession of live ammunition (mainly found in sports holdalls where they kept their hand guns at home) or they had with them a can of mace (prohibited weapon under UK FA law) on a key fob. These were in their possession and found as they attempted to leave the UK mainly bound for the return journey. Most often, the person was de-arrested and cautioned for the offence. This wasn't classed as a conviction but satisfied the bean counters who could show this as both a crime and a 'clear-up' - meaning the crime had been solved.

I will be crossing in to the US within the next few weeks. By being respectful of their position and truthful in the answers I provide, I don't anticipate any problems - just have to remember not to try and cross while in possession of tomatoes purchased in Canada.
Bet the criminals crossing country lines really screwed up things and made it hard to find /catch them? We have a hard enough time knowing what a neighboring agency is doing let alone even just another state...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #30

Last time I left Canada, I flew back to Little Rock and landed at 10:35 PM on September 10, 2001.

Think about that.

The airlines knew something was up on the 10th. Many new precautions. Much nervousness.

I've not been back since. I'd love to go, but won't...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote