Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #1

Crossing the Border - Be Prepared

Good article:

RV Traveling, Crossing borders in your RV | RV Retirement Travel

Not sure I agree with the statement about having a prior criminal background - unclear why it would "get you arrested." Hopefully not anyone's issue!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 05-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #2

I cant see why a criminal record would get you arrested.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
clemdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

As I understand, you will just be refused entry to another country if you have a criminal record. You cannot get a passport if you have a criminal record either as I remember it when we got our passports.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #4

I fly into Canada several times a month and was with a pilot that on arrival was refused entry due to having a dui more than 20 years ago. According to the officer, the records showed the arrest, but not that he had paid fine/ served time or whatever. We were forced to fly the plane back to the us and the company was furious. He had to obtain all his 20 year old records showing that he complied with the judgment and that the case was closed before he could come back to Canada. I know of several pilots that have been thru this due to misspent youth.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

I had to pay some duty crossing into Canada and while in the office there met a group of fishermen from MN going into Canada... they were waiting for one of the wives to drive up and retrieve her husband to take him home as he was refused entry into Canada because a DUI showed up on his background check. Mind you he was part of a group in a pickup and WAS NOT DRIVING across the border at the time but was only a passenger.

That happened about 12 years ago...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

Same deal applies to Canadians entering the US but a little tougher since 9/11.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Yes.....that stuff never goes away. I have a friend who just spent big legal bucks to get a 30 year old minor (pot possession) infraction from almost 40 years ago. cleaned up. Just arrived at the border one day and they said no entry to the US. Went back to the drawing board....changed thier flights and accommodation from Arizona to Mexico and carried o. With thier holiday. Then Got a lawyer involved and he is now " clean". We live right on the US border and last year they were asking the question " have you ever used an illegal drug of any kind" . People who said they smoked pot during the 60s were being blacklisted and refused entry to the US. So always be careful.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
TGR

Anyone traveling to Canada with a past criminal record or even a DUI conviction may find themselves bard from entering the country. The best way to avoid a situation if someone has this type of issue is to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit or get a determination they are Deemed Rehabilitated.

Check the Internet for the process that best fits your circumstance.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #9

All countries have the "right" to refuse entry to anyone with a criminal history, no matter how long ago it may have been, they have no way of knowing if you will do it again or not.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #10

Entry into Canada has always been tough. They hauled us in because in Jimmy we hauled alfalfa for my horses in there. They wanted to know what the flaky green stuff was. They were thinking pot. I explained to them what it was and popped off with the comment that no one would not want to smoke dirt with their pot. This was well over 20 years ago. They had the us flagged on the American side. They hauled us inside and went though my Jimmy. That was the last time we went into Canada.

I noticed in the article they had no info for Mexico. My husband crosses every day and the only thing he is asked is if he has anything to declare or why he was in Mexico. He works in a factory over there. Knowing what it is like here are some things you need to know:

1. Do not cross with a firearm. Even if you declare it, you will go to jail and it is not easy to get out.

2. Do not even have a bullet (even a spent one) in your possession. You will go to jail.

3. Do not have any large knives or weapon's. You will go to jail.

4. Be aware of surroundings at all times. If you see a truck full of guys in a vehicle with guns and they are not soldiers get the hell out of there, but be cool about it. In other words don't panic or attract attention to yourself.

5. If you want to go inland, travel in a convoy. Bigger cities on the borders have convoys. Do not drive big flashy cars. It is better to travel by bus.

Coming back in is not real difficult. You are suppose to need a passport but I know of people who don't have one and use their drivers license. Be prepared to spend some time with the border patrol. Declare everything you purchased. Even if you follow all of the rules be prepared to be sent into "secondary". They do it random or if they suspect something.

We live in the Rio Grande Valley and there is a tourist town called Progresso that is pretty safe and you can walk across the border. I would not take an RV into Mexico, but that's me. You can always fly into the big tourist towns as well and be pretty safe as well.

I hope this is useful if you planning going to Mexico.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

P.S. Crossing into Mexico is easy unless you get the red light.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
All countries have the "right" to refuse entry to anyone with a criminal history, no matter how long ago it may have been, they have no way of knowing if you will do it again or not.
really??? 1 strike and you are out? I guess then that only perfect people can travel abroad...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #13

Have crossed the US-Canada border many times and the only issue we ever had was heavy traffic. I suspect there is some heavy duty profiling going on, so don't do anything to raise any eyebrows. That includes what you say and how you say it. If you act like a smart ass, you deserve what you get.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

Entrys

It is harder to get back in the US than to enter Canada in my experiences. The US will take your beef from you if purchased in Canada.
RETIREDATLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #15

Scary that so much is at the discretion of individual officers. He or she has the power to exclude you from the country permanently without appeal. I have always found crossing into the USA intimidating. I have read of recent changes in disclosure on both sides that has resulted in historical convictions that had never been an issue in the past now being picked up. Just spoke to a couple who have owned Florida property for years without issue who now cannot go because of a 40 year old pot charge.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #16

Friends of ours took a shortcut through Canada to go from Minnesota to Ohio with their travel trailer. On paper it seemed to save them a lot of gas. At a check point they were randomly chosen for a search and...stored deep within their trailer was an unloaded pistol. Big mistake. It was discovered and they were taken in (not arrested but detained). We learned from their experience it's best never to enter any foreign country during your travels if you can avoid it. Keep these thoughts in mind:

Your cell phone may not work
Your health insurance may not cover you
Your auto insurance may not cover you
You may be detained or arrested for any contraband
Duty may be required for wine or liquor in your trailer
Your trailer service agreement may not be honored

The list goes on. It's best to know the answer to all these questions before you cross the border and if there are any concerns stay in your residential country.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #17

Why our southern border a sieve, while our northern border is not. Just doesn't make sense to me. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Why our southern border a sieve, while our northern border is not. Just doesn't make sense to me. Just sayin'
No kidding right. It is not by accident but by pure political design...for sure.

Never seen any illegal Canadians packed like sardines into the back of a stolen F-350 either....
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
2003 Georgetown 325

I was born and raised in Canada and have been back and forth many times. I have never had a bad experience. My answers are always, yes sir; no sir or yes ma'me or no ma'me or answer their questions with respect. Disrespect or getting mouthy is a sure way of putting your butt in a sling going either way. Stay safe 'and have a nice day.'
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #20

Entering Canada can be tough. We were visiting Detroit, MI some years ago and planned to camp in Windsor, Ontario. We had done this many times. A real nice campground and it was actually closer than the closest campgrounds in and around Detroit. Crossing into Canada they had us pull into an inspection area. They ask if we had any weapons, I told them no, but identified myself as a reserve sheriff's deputy from Tennessee and showed them my ID and badge. Told them we knew we planned to camp in Canada, I knew their laws so I did not bring any weapons. They went through my TV and trailer with a fine tooth comb, including my wife, daughter and daughter's friend's purses. I finally told them, if it was going to be such a problem we would just camp in Michigan. They said that would be best. We turned around and crossed back into Michigan. The Canadian border folks called the US folks and we had to go through the same thing again. The non border crossing took about 4 hours.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote