Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
Member
 
thevosmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Labrador NL
Posts: 35
Grand Manan Island in New Brunswick

My wife and myself are thinking about going to Grand Manan for a few days the middle of July. Anyone with suggestions on where to stay and what to do while there would be appreciated ! St Andrews by the sea would be the next stop after that.
__________________

__________________
thevosmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevosmans View Post
My wife and myself are thinking about going to Grand Manan for a few days the middle of July. Anyone with suggestions on where to stay and what to do while there would be appreciated ! St Andrews by the sea would be the next stop after that.

On the Island I know of only one.
Hole-in-the-Wall Park & Campground
42 Old Airport Rd
Grand Manan, NB E5G 1A9

In St Andrews we are staying at
Kiwanis Oceanfront.

Can't tell you much about either as we will be up there in mid June but you need to make reservations ASAP.




__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Hmmm now this looks like a COOL place to visit! Whale watching? Woot!

Now for the $1,000 question - what do they charge for your Rig to be transported over on the ferry?

Thevosmans - here is a link to the hole-in-the-wall campsite -- you can reserve online

Hole in the Wall Park & Campground | Home

Never mind...Ferry rates link is here:
http://grandmanan.coastaltransport.ca/rates.html

Looks like $8.20/M + $32 CDN for your TV & Trailer
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Hmmm now this looks like a COOL place to visit! Whale watching? Woot!

Now for the $1,000 question - what do they charge for your Rig to be transported over on the ferry?

Thevosmans - here is a link to the hole-in-the-wall campsite -- you can reserve online

Hole in the Wall Park & Campground | Home

Never mind...Ferry rates link is here:
Coastal Transport Limited

Looks like $8.20/M + $32 CDN for your TV & Trailer
Yes that ferry trip is expensive.
Now look at the long ferry from Sydney Nova Scotia to Newfoundland for a 54 ft motorhome and tow car. That's over $1,600 one way and its 17 hour trip.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post


Yes that ferry trip is expensive.
Now look at the long ferry from Sydney Nova Scotia to Newfoundland for a 54 ft motorhome and tow car. That's over $1,600 one way and its 17 hour trip.
Now THAT's A Expensive road (ocean) trip!!!
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Member
 
thevosmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Labrador NL
Posts: 35
I have the reservations made for the campground on Grand Manan Island booked for July 9th to the 11th. Ferry is booked also. For the ferry it about $130.00 which I consider reasonable for a 32' fifth wheel, tv and 2 adults for a 1.5 hour sailing.
__________________
thevosmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevosmans View Post
I have the reservations made for the campground on Grand Manan Island booked for July 9th to the 11th. Ferry is booked also. For the ferry it about $130.00 which I consider reasonable for a 32' fifth wheel, tv and 2 adults for a 1.5 hour sailing.
That is pretty reasonable considering. For me though $270.00 worth of ferry fees would merit a slightly longer stay - then again, look where I would be coming from
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Member
 
BC Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sooke, BC, Canada
Posts: 94
I can attest that that is a VERY good deal for a ferry ride. As much as I would love for many of the wonderful people on this forum to come and visit the beautiful and scenic island I call home, I just couldn't ask anyone to pay the outrageous prices to get here . To ride ONE way on our lovely bc ferries it would be more than double that price. I priced it out to come over to the island with 2 adults and a tow vehicle/trailer that is 55ft and it is $331.20 . And yes the same sailing time of an hour and a half.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
The Bishop 5
2001 Security T23Q
2005 Ram 1500
BC Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
BC Boy

When we retire 6 Actual (DW) and I are planning a trip that basically goes up to Maine (that will take 3 days from Alabama ), spend some time in Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, then work our way across your country and exit somewhere south of Vancouver

Sooke, BC? Not familiar with your location; are you part of the Queen Charlotte Islands?
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Member
 
THarlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
BC Boy

When we retire 6 Actual (DW) and I are planning a trip that basically goes up to Maine (that will take 3 days from Alabama ), spend some time in Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, then work our way across your country and exit somewhere south of Vancouver

Sooke, BC? Not familiar with your location; are you part of the Queen Charlotte Islands?
Nice trip! But you'll pay 20% more for gas in Canada.
__________________

__________________
THarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.