Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #1

Guns into Canada

Note from site team: These posts have been split off into their own thread. Since this is an emotional topic that historically has caused strife on these forums, please keep your posts as they pertain to camping/traveling only.

I have been reading up on taking hand guns into Canada as I am headed there this summer with the RV. It sounds like more trouble that its worth as you need to apply to each Providence and take Canadian courses on hand guns.

I am confused about a shot gun though as I always thought that your RV was considered a home and in my home I always have a shot gun handy for those unwelcome visitors.

Does anyone have any experience on this matter??
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Roth View Post
I have been reading up on taking hand guns into Canada as I am headed there this summer with the RV. It sounds like more trouble that its worth as you need to apply to each Providence and take Canadian courses on hand guns.

I am confused about a shot gun though as I always thought that your RV was considered a home and in my home I always have a shot gun handy for those unwelcome visitors.

They always ask...I mean always.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:

I would start your own thread or ask in the one about crossing the border, might not get the best answer in a thread for MD weight stations.. But my opinion, leave it home. Not worth the hassle. I carry a gun for a living, I leave it home when crossing into others countries and US territories.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I would start your own thread or ask in the one about crossing the border, might not get the best answer in a thread for MD weight stations.. But my opinion, leave it home. Not worth the hassle. I carry a gun for a living, I leave it home when crossing into others countries and US territories.

Sort of like someone that is a cook for a living not want to do cooking while not working ?
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Sort of like someone that is a cook for a living not want to do cooking while not working ?
Do not want this to get to far off topic but.. Oh no, I carry while not working... Just not in other countries (or NJ or NYC or DC or...). May not end well. I do not want to talk about what I do all the time when off though.. It is a bit old (to me).

Just because you can does not always mean you should comes to mind!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:

Not to take this further off topic - hand gun laws in Canada are very different from the US. -DO NOT BRING THEM- You're not allowed to carry, period - and the laws to transport are involved, and involve filing "flight plans" with local police before doing so; and not carrying ammo.

You can bring long guns in, as long as they are properly declared - but they must be secured, and stored separate from ammo. Unless you're coming to hunt, leave them at home, too.

There is no castle doctrine in Canada - you shoot someone, even in the commision of a crime; you will be going to jail. You threaten someone with a weapon, you will be going to jail.

Just leave 'em at home...

If you want to discuss further, feel free to open up a topic on it!

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply