Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #1

Heading to Gaspe this summer

Hi All

We're hoping to head to Gaspe this summer. So far I've only explored the National Parks site. has anyone been there and can you offer any info on private campsites near activities such as whale watching etc.

We're pulling a tent trailer so all I really need is electric.

Thanks
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #2

That is one special place to visit - been there a few times, but on my motorcycle not camping.

The region you need to look at is Gaspesie

Here is a good place to start for find campgrounds:

Search by criteria | Campingquebec.com

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
traveler

Welcome to the Maritimes. We live across the Bay of Chaleur and have visited the Gaspe coast. They say it’s nicer and warmer on the south side but the whole place is beautiful. The one place I was warned about was the hill in Perce. As you head north you go uphill and it is a killer. Make sure your brakes and transmission are in good shape.
Fortunately there is a short cut and you can avoid the killer hill by taking either north or south bound Route Lemieux passing through le Petit Montreal and le petit Quebec, don’t blink or you will miss them. Check it out on Google Maps.
I recommend that you find a campsite near Perce and visit the area without the trailer. Perce is a must as well as Bonaventure Island. That’s what we did and stayed in a nice little campground called Indian Head.
Don't hesitate to make contact for more information, happy camping and stay between the ditches.

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

Very good idea. I went about 20 years ago for a trip on the whole Gaspe peninsula starting from Quebec city. If you do it this way make sure you stop at Capchat. The wind in that place is quite something. We stayed on full day on Bonaventure island for visiting. I dont know if they still do this now. You will remenber this trip all your life. The peoples in there are so nice. We were invited to visit a cod fishing factory. The even gave us some cod fish free fresh from the water that we cooked at the camping. Bring you camera. There are tons of old fishing boats to pictures. You will also find several small boutiques on all the way selling all kind of sea related articles like miniatures wooden fishing boats etc. Dont pass this occasion for another place. This is the one to go and the only one..Good trip.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

We did the trip 2 summers ago and really enjoyed it. Great scenery and great people. We did it early in the summer so we just stopped when we found a site. There were lots of them available. You can avoid some of the hills but that means missing some great sights and experiences. The highway that hugs the coast along the St. Lawrence is fabulous, especially when the wind is blowing onshore. We did camp at one memorable spot (just south of Perce I think) shortly before we entered New Brunswick. It was a provincial park I think and it was on a mostly grassey and barren spit of land that ran out into the bay. The inner bay was home to lots of herons. That night was stormy and to hear the wind blowing onshore was fantastic. Electric and water sites were available and clean washrooms and showers. What appeared to be fairly new reception area with computers available for campers. English and French receptionists and everyone was friendly. Would have liked to stay longer but had other commitments. Just take your time and enjoy yourself. If you don't get it all in remember it has been there thousands of years and will be for thousands more. Travel safe. Old Guys
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm sure we'll have a great time
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We will be in Quebec City July 7 to 10 for the Explorer RV rally then we are going out to the Gaspe as well. Should we be booking parks?
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

We didn't but it's your call if you want to be sure of a site. We never had a problem but many people seem to be staying closer to home this year, because of financial considerations. That may have an effect on site availability but it could go either way, so good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old Guys
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #9

FALCON35; From quebec city going to gaspe you have to stop at l'islet sur mer. It is not too far from Quebec city and at the same site go and visit some ships near the campground. Another place you can stop on your way is cap-chat. Hold your hat there because it is very windy in there but so beautiful to camp there. And good luck for the rest of your trip. This trip is so nice in there and you will remember this voyage all your life.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote