Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #11
Canadian Member

If you're going to be near Syndey, NS for a few days, definitely go to Fortress Louisburg. We spent an entire day there and DW and I and the kids loved it. We liked it much more than the Citadel in Halifax. Louisburg is about life at that time whereas the Citadel was more about military history. We had just visited the military museums in Ottawa earlier that year so maybe that's why we weren't as into the Citadel. But while in the Halifax area we had to take my eldest son by the rink in Cole Harbour where Sid the Kid played.

Also, while on Cape Breton, you have to drive the Cabot Trail. Park the 5er at a CG and drive it without the trailer. You can do it in a full day our take your time and drive it over 2 days. If you're able to do a 7 km hike, do the Skyline Trail. You'll be rewarded with a spectacular view at the far end. If you're nervous about driving near the edge, go clockwise around the trail, otherwise go in the counter-clockwise direction.

If you are going to be staying near Halifax, you'll be able to see Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in a single day. Both are true Canadian legends.

I second the recommendation for Fundy National Park and the Hopewell Rocks.

I have some pics in my albums of our trip in 2013. We didn't have time to visit NF though.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #12

The Arm of Gold CG is the last CG before the ferry to Newfoundland. It is an open field but not a bad place as a central CG to see the sights on CB. I full time at the KOA in Mallorytown and also work on the Rockport boat lines. We offer a great tour in the summer on Sundays. A passport in need and the cost is about $100/person. The boat leaves Rockport at 10am and drops you off at Boldt Castle you spend about an 1 to 1 1/2 hours touring this castle then are pick up by the boat again to continue your day. You will enjoy a buffet lunch on board the boat as you cruise through millionaire row and enjoy the cottages for years gone by. The next stop is Singer castle (Singer sewing machine). This large castle was his summer fishing lodge. You will return to Rockport around 4pm. If you enjoy military events the Kingston fort Henry do an excellent sunset ceremony during the summer. As for the cost of the KOA in Mallorytown it is a bit more expensive the the PP campground but you have a 3 way site. The owners try to have activities for the children every day.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:36 PM   #13
Canadian Member

caper, we stayed at the Mallorytown KOA in 2013 and really liked it, but the prices have gone up more than 20% since then. Do you know why?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #14

Do not know why? What type of site are you looking for?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #15
Canadian Member

Full service pull through.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #16

All this info is great, we have all the tourist info from each of the provinces we are going to travel through. However you can't beat info from first hand experience from some one that's been there or lives there! Btw we are retired and not travelling with children!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Highly recommend seeing the Bay of Fundy that has the worlds highest tide of somewhere around 61 ft. When we were there it only raised 31'. We watched in come in, go out and a few hours later it repeated it.
The tides are definitely on our list. Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #18

Juneau private camp ground is only20 mins from "Old Quebec City"" WE always stay there..EXCELLENT!!!! Route 40....North side of river
Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Wife and I are tentatively planning a trip early summer from home all the way to Newfoundland. We are looking for camping related info, campgrounds, roads/routes, low bridges, scenic sites, and generally all things camping!

Most of the info we are looking for will be east of Toronto. We are interested in the thousand islands, Ottawa, Montreal and best way to bypass it, along the south shore of the St. Lawrence, around the Gaspe/Gaspesie thru New Brunswick, Nova Scotia (been to NS a couple of times, not camping) up to Sydney across the ferry on to the rock.

We plan on going north to L'anse aux meadows, across to St. John's and then start our return home. Your suggestions will be much appreciated!
Hi Prairiecamper,

Great trip ahead of you. We did a cross Canada trip in 2011. Victoria to Newfoundland & Labrador and back again. We did 33,000 plus km.

We have a blog (65 posts) from the trip. We drove fairly fast out east (to meet up with friends from Europe) and then did more of Ontario on the way back. Part one is from Victoria, part four is where we arrived in Ontario.

Good luck and have fun.

Pony: 2017 Dodge 3500 Longhorn 4x4, Quad Cab
Harness: Hijacker 24-AS-18 Autoslide, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box
Chuckwagon: 2011 Rockwood 8265WS
Travel Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #20

Thanks Prairie Camper for opening this thread. We are headed from SW Ontario to the Maritimes starting the beginning of July. While we won't likely make it to Newfoundland ..... New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI are on our list. Does anybody have any experience on the Cabot Trail with a trailer? From what I can gather, the hills are pretty steep? Exploring Kingston, Ottawa (for Canada Day) and Quebec City on in our plans for the trip out. Anybody have any advice for must see's / where to camp in PEI? Thanks everyone for the posts so far !

Tags
camper, canada