Old 04-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmencel View Post
Thanks Prairie Camper for opening this thread. We are headed from SW Ontario to the Maritimes starting the beginning of July. While we won't likely make it to Newfoundland ..... New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI are on our list. Does anybody have any experience on the Cabot Trail with a trailer? From what I can gather, the hills are pretty steep? Exploring Kingston, Ottawa (for Canada Day) and Quebec City on in our plans for the trip out. Anybody have any advice for must see's / where to camp in PEI? Thanks everyone for the posts so far !

We stayed at both the Cavendish and Charlottetown KOA's last year and enjoyed both. In NB we stayed at Ponderosa Pines (ok) and at Oceanfront Kiwanis in St Andrews. We are going to N.S. this summer and will again stay in St Andrews, as we didn't have enough time to really explore the nice little town. We went whale watching last year and it was great.
In PEI try to visit Basin Head beach. Residents say it's the best beach in PEI and we can see why.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #32

Rivers Bend in Edmonston, NB is a good stop over going east. Ivy Lea KOA outside Brockville is a grat area to explore. Kingston is my hometown so can't say enough about that as a stop over. Hilltop CG outside Truro, NS was an excellent stop for a refresher.

Kevin

Old 04-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #33

Another question for campers familiar with New Brunswick. The tourist book doesn't mention anything about the height/clearance of the covered bridges in NB. Are they on major routes, can they be bypassed or can a trailer pass through? I.E. 4.15 meters (13 ft 6 inches). Thanks
Old 04-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #34

There are no Covered Bridges on the TransCanada Hwy in New Brunswick
Old 04-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #35

derek - I guess I should have been more clear. When I wrote major routes I was meaning more secondary routes, like to a tourist site of some sort or to actually see the covered bridge! In any event can a trailer pass underneath them?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #36
Canadian Member

prairiecamper, I doubt that any covered bridge will accommodate your 5er. Better plan to park the camper and visit the covered bridges with just the truck.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Highly recommend seeing the Bay of Fundy that has the worlds highest tide of somewhere around 61 ft. When we were there it only raised 31'. We watched in come in, go out and a few hours later it repeated it.
i grew up 5mins from the worlds highest tides. off the burncoat heads.

if you get a chance the tidal bore is always a site to be seen with the rapid runners jet boats.

one thing to watch for and you'll find out in a hurry, is the secondary roads in the east coast are usually pretty rough
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
i grew up 5mins from the worlds highest tides. off the burncoat heads.

if you get a chance the tidal bore is always a site to be seen with the rapid runners jet boats.

one thing to watch for and you'll find out in a hurry, is the secondary roads in the east coast are usually pretty rough
Depends what you class as secondary.....Way out in country but most roads running // to TCH are ok...Visit the Longest Covered bridge in Hartland, NB......You can cross this bridge.....Transports go across............From a Maritimer.......

Tags
camper, canada