Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
The Old Man

Love PEI...one of the beauty spots of North America and a great place to camp. For RVs there are some permit issues concerning LP gas and the ferry that you must allow time for inspection. And, oh, the islanders love you so much that you can ferry over for free, but will charge you a few hundred bucks to get OFF the island.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #12

We always advise people to take the boat to PEI and the bridge to leave. cheaper that way.

2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
http://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #13

We went over to PEI twice this summer, the first time we took the bridge there and back and then the ferry both ways the second time. The ferry was more expensive but cut a lot of distance off the trip as we are in Halifax. I think the difference in distance for us and the extra gas to go the bridge way probably offset the difference in cost for the ferry. Plus at the time we had my father along as well so the break to get out and move around was nice as well.

As for the hassle of pulling a trailer, all the did was give me a tag for the propane tanks and told me to make sure the valves were closed( I never travel with them open anyway). I did not see anyone check them before or after we were on the boat.

The nice thing about having a bigger trailer too is that they put you on the lower deck with the big trucks, this means that unless there is a really big line of trucks and trailers you are on and off the ferry rather quickly.
When we took the ferry, I timed it for the schedule and arrived about 15 minutes before departure and we just had enough time to take the dogs for a little walk, on the way back we did not even have time to get out of the truck until we were on board. And we did not even have a reservation.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #14

Good way to do things. We live much closer to the ferry than to the bridge so if we are going towards Halifax we always take the boat. Catching an early boat and having breakfast on board is tradition. I agree that the saving in gas makes up for the extra cost. Going to NB, Ontario or Florida it is cheaper and quicker to take the bridge.

2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
http://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote