Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Steelhorzz

Looking for info on the Alcan....

We're planning a trip from So Cal to AK via the Alcan highway.
(Think we'll do it next spring).

I've just started reading past posts but can't find anything current.

The one bit of advice I've found in each is to pick up a current copy of "Milepost".

Does anyone have any recent info on:
-Road conditions- (just had my windshield replaced for the second time)

-GPS availability, (some posts said to make sure you take a compass, GPS doesn't work all time)

-Fuel prices - Gas

And any recommendations on places to stay, things or places to see would be appreciated.

Personal experience on travel time and how far you drove and how long was your trip once you crossed into Canada would also be great.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Go to the Alaska-Canada forum on "rv.net." You will find "stickies" that have all the info you need.

You could also PM "BamaBob" on this forum. He is currently leading a caravan to and from Alaska and may give you current road conditions. Which will change by next spring due to frost heave and construction!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

https://www.themilepost.com/

There is a section under the "Features" link with some road conditions (or links to them). This site is insanely cool!!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:44 AM   #4

The road, for the most part, is just fine. Expect road construction, with its inevitable delays, this time of the year. Your GPS will work just fine. I don't know who keeps perpetuating this nonsense about it not working up north. Cell phone service will only be found in communities along the way. If you have Verizon, get their Canada/Mexico plan. $5 a day for each day you use it in Canada. Every place, and I mean every place, will have a credit card POS terminal, so make sure your cards have a chip. You can just about get by without any Canadian currency, although I usually get $100 each time for small purchases. If you need a Starbucks fix, Dawson Creek, Fort St John and Whitehorse are the only places you'll find one on the Alaska Highway, although the Dawson Creek store is actually a half mile or so before the official starting point. Make sure your passports don't expire while you're travelling. Gas isn't a problem, but it is much more expensive in Canada. I rarely use the Milepost anymore, but I've travelled the highway so often I don't need it anymore. I would get the Allstays app for your smart phone. It provides a lot more information about RV parks, as well as provincial and state parks. Other than that, just make sure everything is in good shape. I just pulled a trailer up and the only thing I did was replace the China bomb tires with Goodyear Endurance tires.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
.... Your GPS will work just fine. I don't know who keeps perpetuating this nonsense about it not working up north. ....
I'm not sure there's anywhere in North America (or the world for that matter) unless it's within a tunnel that a vehicle GPS will not work. Sure, it may lose signal lock in dense trees for a couple of seconds, but it'll find lock again as soon as there is a break in the tree cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
.... Gas isn't a problem, but it is much more expensive in Canada.....
^That's called "Canadian Fuel Prices" and they will fluctuate almost daily, with highly aggressive natures.... One day to the next, they could jump anywhere between $0.08 - $0.15 cents per litre ($0.30 - $0.56 per gallon)* based on who in the oil industry farts... Today in Calgary Alberta, we're paying $1.25 per litre ($4.73 per gallon)*

*All prices above are CDN dollars - those CDN dollars today in US dollars are $3.56 per gallon

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

I went up and back in 2016 and my older model Garmin worked everywhere I went. Yes gas is high once you get way up the road and make sure to hit all the stops and try not to get too low. Depending on which route you take whether up through BC and the Cassair where fuel is far between or Alberta where fuel is plentiful until after Fort Saint John.
The Canadian add on for my Verizon worked real well where there was service.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

We went from Florida to Alaska and back in 2014. No issues with the roads as long as you pay close attention to road conditions and your speed. Frost heaves were marked with cones or flags along side of the damaged areas. The worst section was from Destruction Bay to the Alaska border.

We spent tow weeks in the Canadian Rockies before going to Dawson Creek. Then about 200 mile legs while on the Alaska Highway except for longer stops in Watson Lake, Whitehorse and a side trip to Skagway. Once we arrived in Tok we left the trailer in the RV park and took the Top of the World Highway back to Dawson City for a couple on nights. On our return we took the Cassiar Highway for a change of scenery. It was well worth it.

In addition to the Milepost we also bought an Alaska TourSaver book. It is full of two for one coupons we used while in Alaska. It cost us $99 but we saved over $1200 using the coupons in it.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I'm not sure there's anywhere in North America (or the world for that matter) unless it's within a tunnel that a vehicle GPS will not work. Sure, it may lose signal lock in dense trees for a couple of seconds, but it'll find lock again as soon as there is a break in the tree cover.

^That's called "Canadian Fuel Prices" and they will fluctuate almost daily, with highly aggressive natures.... One day to the next, they could jump anywhere between $0.08 - $0.15 cents per litre ($0.30 - $0.56 per gallon)* based on who in the oil industry farts... Today in Calgary Alberta, we're paying $1.25 per litre ($4.73 per gallon)*

*All prices above are CDN dollars - those CDN dollars today in US dollars are $3.56 per gallon

J.
$3.56 a gallon?? Heck that's less than they're robbing here in So Cal! I should take off today!! -LOL

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated! Do you know if GasBuddy works in Canada also?

Thank again!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
Go to the Alaska-Canada forum on "rv.net." You will find "stickies" that have all the info you need.

You could also PM "BamaBob" on this forum. He is currently leading a caravan to and from Alaska and may give you current road conditions. Which will change by next spring due to frost heave and construction!
Thank you very much !!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
We went from Florida to Alaska and back in 2014. No issues with the roads as long as you pay close attention to road conditions and your speed. Frost heaves were marked with cones or flags along side of the damaged areas. The worst section was from Destruction Bay to the Alaska border.

We spent tow weeks in the Canadian Rockies before going to Dawson Creek. Then about 200 mile legs while on the Alaska Highway except for longer stops in Watson Lake, Whitehorse and a side trip to Skagway. Once we arrived in Tok we left the trailer in the RV park and took the Top of the World Highway back to Dawson City for a couple on nights. On our return we took the Cassiar Highway for a change of scenery. It was well worth it.

In addition to the Milepost we also bought an Alaska TourSaver book. It is full of two for one coupons we used while in Alaska. It cost us $99 but we saved over $1200 using the coupons in it.

Appreciate all the info! I'll check note the sites on my RV planner!
And check out the saver!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #11
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I went up and back in 2016 and my older model Garmin worked everywhere I went. Yes gas is high once you get way up the road and make sure to hit all the stops and try not to get too low. Depending on which route you take whether up through BC and the Cassair where fuel is far between or Alberta where fuel is plentiful until after Fort Saint John.
The Canadian add on for my Verizon worked real well where there was service.
Points noted. Thanks!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #12

Backwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
GPS availability, (some posts said to make sure you take a compass, GPS doesn't work all time)
Actually, this is backwards. It's the compass that doesn't work right. The magnetic North Pole is about 500 kilometers (312 miles) southwest of the geographic North Pole. If you were to go past the magnetic north pole (abeam) heading due north towards the geographic North Pole, your compass would tell you the geographic pole was due west!

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
$3.56 a gallon?? Heck that's less than they're robbing here in So Cal! I should take off today!! -LOL

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated! Do you know if GasBuddy works in Canada also?

Thank again!
Yes, GasBuddy works in Canada.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
D W

During the summer months road construction/repair is at a boom due to winter damage of the road. Expect dust, lots of dust, mud, washouts and delays. After the trip you will find dirt and dust in placed you didn't know existed. You will encounter vast sections of the highway where your speed may be reduced to 30 MPH. Don't expect to drive 60+ MPH like you do at home. It will use your rig up in a hurry. Anticipate a cracked/broken windshield and/or headlight. At every stop you will be cleaning your windows. Fuel is expensive in Canada, both diesel and gas. Keep you tank at least half-full at all times. South BC isn't too bad for amenities, but after Dawson Creek they are diminished and sparse. Plenty of Provincial Parks in BC and YT. Comparable to our State Parks or COE/BLM CG's. Bottom line: If you're into luxury, this ain't the trip for you. Do your homework and know all the border crossing rules for Canada and US. Alaska is a big state. Once you cross into AK from YT it is still a whole day's drive to Anchorage, and at least a half day to Fairbanks. GPS's work as long as you can work off the satellites. Compasses get folks into trouble above the 60th parallel due to True North and Magnetic North difference. You will find places in BC, YT and AK where there is no cell service. The MILEPOST is your best reference for the journey, but take the pictures of food, lodging and CG's with a grain of salt. Those photos can be misleading. If your trip is in the very near future be advised that we pretty much have 23 hours of daylight every day. The sun no more than sets and it comes right back up.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #15

I went in 2008 - but I did it backwards (cruise ship to Anchorage, picked up a rental 'C' and drove most of the eastern part of the state - Anchorage, MatSu valley, Denali NP, Fairbanks, and even the Dalton Hwy up to the Arctic Circle marker. Then crossed over into YT at Tor, down the Alcan (with my Milepost), and finally back into the US at Sumas, WA (a bit of an extra drive, but the crossing there goes much quicker)

The ONLY place the roads were even remotely bad was the 1st 75mi of the Dalton. I think they keep it like that to keep people from going on it. Do NOT drive your rig down the Dalton, unless you want to replace the axles.

If you want to go to the Arctic Circle, there are companies in Fairbanks that will rent you an equipped SUV to make the drive. Just north of there, you are warned with a sign that there is no gas for hundreds of miles. Heed the sign, if you're wanting to go up to Whitehorse / end of the land (which isn't possible except via BP allowing some groups up there - they control access.

As mentioned - cell access is largely around settled communities. Rogers Telecom (still?) owns most of the towers out that way, so you'll be roaming on their network, all the way down through YT / BC, until you get back into the US.

Some parts of the route are very desolate - you can easily go 2+ hrs without seeing another vehicle, especially when we went (September). Be careful about wildlife crossing the road (and have your passenger with a camera at the ready, because you WILL see it from the road. We came across a female moose who proceeded to take her calf across the road - then decide she didn't like it there, and came back across.

You don't want to hit a moose; they are freaking HUGE, and will instantly disable your rig, if not injure you as a result of the crash. One of the tourist trap stores in Ketchikan has one mounted on the shop floor - you'll see what I mean about 'huge', if you go there.

Finally, the better way to go is to make the trip northbound; if I ever drive it again, it'll be in that direction first. The mountains just get bigger & more majestic, as you travel north.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #16

Yes gas buddy works for Canada.
Mile Post is excellent for first n second timers.

Larry & Sharon
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #17
Global Nomad

I just travelled the Alcan from beginning to end. I am currently in Alaska and will be returning in a few weeks. The Alcan is paved from beginning to end. However, there was a 5 mile stretch where they tore up the pavement to replace, at the time I went over it, it was all dirt, with lots of potholes. Just go slow. My Garmin GPS worked throughout my trip. I have the AT&T unlimited plan which works in Canada, for $90.00 a month (that is less than the $5.00 a day quoted above). My wife has the same plan with Verizon for $103.00 a month. It also is unlimited and works in Canada. Gas buddy works all over. If you have any questions, please PM me.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #18

I am on the Alaska highway now. We are staying at the Watson Lake, Yukon Park.
We traveled the full length (from Dawson Creek to Delta Junction) back in May and are on our way back to the southeast US now. For the most part the highway is very good. Like anywhere else you have to watch for broken pavement and potholes. The Alcan does add frost heaves to look out for but they are usually marked with red flags. The worst part of the road is between Destruction Bay and the Alaskan border.
My advice is to read all you can about the trip and watch YouTube videos.
But the most important thing is to make sure your rig is in top shape. It can be a long wait for a tow truck or as some friends found out a long wait for parts.
Strange man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
We're planning a trip from So Cal to AK via the Alcan highway.
(Think we'll do it next spring).

I've just started reading past posts but can't find anything current.

The one bit of advice I've found in each is to pick up a current copy of "Milepost".

Does anyone have any recent info on:
-Road conditions- (just had my windshield replaced for the second time)

-GPS availability, (some posts said to make sure you take a compass, GPS doesn't work all time)

-Fuel prices - Gas

And any recommendations on places to stay, things or places to see would be appreciated.

Personal experience on travel time and how far you drove and how long was your trip once you crossed into Canada would also be great.

Thanks in advance everyone!

What time do y’all plan on going next year? We are going back next year, we plan on crossing the border around May the first. We had a great time last year. We had trouble with the truck,DEF. We had no trouble with the camper. We had a 100gal auxiliary tank so running out of fuel wasn’t a problem. I filled up in Dawson Creek and made it to Tok AK without buying any more diesel. I have Verizon and I didn’t need to buy any more data. I used rvparksandcampgrounds apps for campgrounds. I did get a chipped windshield but my insurance fixed that once I got home.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #20
Steelhorzz

Another question...

Has anyone any experience driving down hiway 2 and 8 toward Skagway?